Think I found my answer

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turned the clam upsidedown to do another inspection and right by the bysal area i saw a bristleworm and then it appeared to move into the clam. Atleast I am 90% that is what I saw. I do not think it is eating the clam but I am assuming it is setting up home and everytime it moves it is irritating the clam causing it to close. How do I get it out of the clam? Do I wait it out?

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip in Bayer. More likely polyclad flatworm? What exactly did it look like.

Clams are really tough. I’ve had a few that lasted, then boom gone over night.

BMAN88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fresh RODI water dip for 20 minutes. Heat the water to the same temperature as the tank, submerge the clam and use a turkey baster to blast the area near the clams’ base.

It has worked for myself

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it was a bristleworm or a fireworm. It was a purpleish color maybe some redissh and once the clam was upside down it tucked itself in a crease of the shell and I couldnt see it anymore. I put the clam back upright and it opened back up.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i have to dip this clam. Not sure what else can be done but it looks terrible. Pretty sure its on the way out.

20180128_120644.jpg

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so clam was dipped. The bristle worm that I think was causing the issue is dead. I think the clam may be gone though. I have never dipped a clam before but it is gaping pretty bad. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so clam was dipped. The bristle worm that I think was causing the issue is dead. I think the clam may be gone though. I have never dipped a clam before but it is gaping pretty bad. Not sure if this is normal or not.

A gape is normal after a dip, it's stressful after all. How long did you dip? I think it's in the hands of fate now, prayers for your clam.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped for 20 minutes. The mouth is still gaped this morning. Is that normal?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing the bristle worm was feeding on an already dead or dying clam. I certainly hope I’m wrong.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to be on its way out. The incurrent siphon isn't a concern but the gaping where the mantle starts to retract into the shell is concerning. Sorry, it's not easy loosing a clam. We've been there.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its tough. I had this clam for basically a 1/3rd of my life. I basically setup the reefer xxl 750 for it. Built the entire tank around it. I need to figure out now do I retire from reef keeping and maybe do a fowlr or just get rid everything in general. I am totally disgusted with Live Aquaria and myself for not quarantining a stupid 2 inch clam.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its tough. I had this clam for basically a 1/3rd of my life. I basically setup the reefer xxl 750 for it. Built the entire tank around it. I need to figure out now do I retire from reef keeping and maybe do a fowlr or just get rid everything in general. I am totally disgusted with Live Aquaria and myself for not quarantining a stupid 2 inch clam.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't give up. We lost our entire collection from pyramids and our 12" squamosa we had since 3". The lesson learned is that once we buy another clam in the future I won't be adding any others due to protozoans and parasitic snails that come on them. One happy clam is all we need.

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's mighty hard to know if a clam carries a disease or not if it's dormant, that's the tricky part. Even if DD quarantines their clams, it would not have been apparent until you end up receiving it.

I would persist, it sucks to lose such a long time friend, but you have an entire established ecosystem to work with, and there are plenty of opportunities to find something new and awesome. If you find a 4 inch Derasa, I would not be surprised if it reached a similar size in no time, they do grow fast after all.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing about DD is that all of there clams are infected. Unless they take down there clams every clam in there system is exposed to it. I suppose the cycle needs to be broken but if they arent breaking that cycle than I cant see how they are selling healthy clams. I wish i knew somewhere else where you could buy them. Unfortuantley options are limited.

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing about DD is that all of there clams are infected. Unless they take down there clams every clam in there system is exposed to it. I suppose the cycle needs to be broken but if they arent breaking that cycle than I cant see how they are selling healthy clams. I wish i knew somewhere else where you could buy them. Unfortuantley options are limited.

Probably pretty prevalent if it's from the ORA clams. I think the only way to rid a clam of it would be to QT and dose some kind of anti-protozoal medication, like metronidazole.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back