Think I have Dinos Now

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been battling cyano for some time and decided to just let it run its course and dose peroxide daily. Was actually getting better till I looked today and saw what looks like dinos on one rock. I know these are one of the worst to get rid of and there are a lot of different ways to attack it. Which should I start with? Ive seen a black out, raise temp, manual removal daily into a filter sock, chemical? Parameters are:
Temp 78
Alk 8.9
Nitrates 2.5
Phosphates .05
Calcium 445
Mag 1380
Are any of them out of whack I should be concerned with? Nothing new has been introduced in months except a starry blenny and a fire shrimp.

20210106_195414.jpg

Zbryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos usually show up when notate and phosphate are 0 or very low. Maybe try raising nutrients? Do you have a UV sterilizer?

Zbryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be be if those are accurate numbers. But they’re so low, that maybe they are 0 and your test kit is reading incorrectly. There are good Dino threads on here. Maybe start there. You’ll probably want to ID the type of dinos you have and then see how to proceed. Some types can be wiped out with just a UV sterilizer, but some can be quite difficult.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
yep - dinos
Before treatment, check your phosphate and nitrate to assure levels aren’t elevated
Blow loose with a turkey baster. It will capture and clean more surface area. Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back