OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used both with no issues. Sure there are advantages to live rock and cycling but to insist one will fail or have issues is both discouraging and costly to some trying to get into and enjoy the hobby
Yeah didn’t mean to discourage anyone. Like @shadow_k mentioned, those early tank trials give new reefers good reef keeping experience. I’ve had to battle my fair share of serious uglies. And I totally understand it can be cost prohibitive for many. I would bet over time, someone finds a way to get ocean live rock to the consumer at lower and lower prices. The beauty of a competitive market. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s also true , but I think it’s personal preference as well as finance issue. I personally think if you can afford live rock go for it ! If you can’t get the dry and be patient lol
Totally agree.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like for people who are in a rush to cycle there tank live rock is the way to go, but the also run the risk of pests ,hitchhikers etc…

I wouldn't say I'm in a rush. I just prefer to avoid a year of unneeded troubles. Live rock isn't taking a shortcut, dry rock is liking trying to take the longest possible route to enjoy the scenery. The only difference is that the scenery is hair algae and dinos. If you're talking hitchhikers, I got about 300$ worth of pistol shrimp in my rock. Totally worth the bubble algae.

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I’m being contrarian but I started my first tank with dry rock, and it’s doing great except for some aiptasia.

Started the second tank with live reef rubble in the sump and marco rock in the tank. It’s been a ****show. Intractable hair algae and can’t keep snails alive. The coral seem to like it though.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, if I was a stone's throw away from the ocean it would be a moot point. As it happens, however - I'm 1500km+ away from the nearest pond.

I'm in sunny New England, about as far as you can get away from the tropical ocean in the lower 48. And yet, I decided it was worth it. As they say, no regrets.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in sunny New England, about as far as you can get away from the tropical ocean in the lower 48. And yet, I decided it was worth it. As they say, no regrets.
England still counts as "near the ocean", you know... being an island. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say I'm in a rush. I just prefer to avoid a year of unneeded troubles. Live rock isn't taking a shortcut, dry rock is liking trying to take the longest possible route to enjoy the scenery. The only difference is that the scenery is hair algae and dinos. If you're talking hitchhikers, I got about 300$ worth of pistol shrimp in my rock. Totally worth the bubble algae.
I can’t speak on having live rock since I started dry but my next tank will be started with live rock to see if the situations are different.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I’m being contrarian but I started my first tank with dry rock, and it’s doing great except for some aiptasia.

Started the second tank with live reef rubble in the sump and marco rock in the tank. It’s been a ****show. Intractable hair algae and can’t keep snails alive. The coral seem to like it though.
It’s definitely not a magic bullet, for sure! Hope you get the algae and aiptasia under control! A lot of people talk about aiptasia eating filefish like an undesirable utility fish but I actually really like watching them! Lol

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
England still counts as "near the ocean", you know... being an island. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

You missed the "New" in the "New England". Vermont state pride! :)

Over 2,200km from the nearest natural reef, unless you count those deepwater reefs in the North Atlantic.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had luck with true peppermint shrimp got rid of 40 + aiptasia in 2weeks

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished a new build. Used Tampa Bay Salt Water live rock in the refugium and Tampa Bay Salt Water live sand in the tank. I have old pukani Rock in the main display. Kind of a hybrid I guess.

IMG_20230819_155629918.jpg
IMG_20230819_155244245.jpg

IMG_20230819_155252904.jpg

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Totally understand that this can be cost prohibitive for some folks, especially those who need/want a ton of live rock. Definitely a cost-benefit analysis that needs to be done for each situation.

For most people I think cost is the determining factor. The money saved can be spent on other needed equipment or automation. For very large tanks one can spend thousands of dollars on live rock and many hundreds for smaller set ups. Although the cost will be somewhat increased, adding some live rock to the dry rock is a definite compromise and huge benefit.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with dry rocks and I’ve had diatoms, dinos, hair algae, sea lettuce, digitate hydroids, spirobid worms, vermetid snails, bristle worms and I forget some I’m sure.

I wish I could have gotten live rock but there is none around here. I’m sure I have a small replica of it though.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gimme some real ocean live rock! All day everyday. I will never go with anything else ever again.

Oh how I wish I could get the real live ocean rock that was imported from overseas back in the 90’s. It wasn’t too expensive, was super porous and had a lot of biodiversity.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how I wish I could get the real live ocean rock that was imported from overseas back in the 90’s. It wasn’t too expensive, was super porous and had a lot of biodiversity.
I wish I could get the Fiji live rock that I was getting for NOTHING from my LFS when I was living in Los Angeles just back in 2015!! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1$/lb less, and a year of constant consternation as you try to solve the inherent problems of filling your tank with cement. I wouldn't call it a good trade-off. Especially when you can use 1/3 - 1/2 live rock and the rest dry to achieve similar results.
That doesn’t take into account shipping, which can be the killer for some.

I look at it as more a spectrum.

Best - Ocean live rock, if you can afford it and get it, do.

Next best - Local live rock from someone else’s mature system.

Medium - Mix of dry and live rock for seeding.

Least - All dry rock.

And within that, each person has to figure out what spot on this spectrum of choices is going to fit their budget and needs best.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back