Think I Was Wrong…It HAS TO Be Live Rock

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can set up a dry rock tank and not get the uglies and never get the pests of live rock. Live rock is overrated imo (fight me haha)
I have heard of people doing it with success. However, I’m sure you will agree it only works for people who are very experienced and know how to do it or those who get lucky. If there was a known and proven procedure that could prevent the algae ugly phase, everyone would do it.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been under the impression since returning to the hobby that we’ve made strides in knowing how to successfully start a tank with dry rock and have it be just as solid as a live rock based tank with some extra leg work on the front end (i.e. tub cycling the rock to get it seeded, months long rock only in tank cycle before eventually turning the lights on, continuing to cycle before slowly adding coral and eventually fish to allow the dry rock to gain the amount of bacteria live rock would have).

After reading a bunch, it sounds like while it works for SOME people SOMETIMES, it’s not the preferred route. I keep hearing about how much longer the ugly stages are lasting, problems popping up non stop over the first 2-3+ years even with people who took the prudent approach with dry rock. And I’m not talking about problems that are just part of the hobby that the right stocking list and care will quickly get in check for good. I’m talking potentially chronic tank issues and just really slow progress…more headache than is necessary.

My thought process was if I take the safe patient approach with dry rock, I’ll never have the miserable aptasia my first tank had that my filefish couldn’t keep up with, or that bubble algae and Dinos, or the excessive amounts of bristle worms that just generally creep me out. Although, I also wouldn’t get all that cool random biodiversity and random hitchhikers like the sponges, star fish, green star polyp and anemone I was surprised by.

Now I’m becoming more and more convinced that the random unwelcome hitchhikers are much easier to deal with than a tank that never fully stabilizes before it comes down or you need to move. That the benefits of immense biodiversity of live rock from the ocean grossly outweighs any other considerations. After all, I’m always going to be risking hitchhikers with additions of new coral to my tank, new clean up crew, etc.

I think I’m now in the camp of real live rock from the ocean is the only way to go…
30 years in, and I would still never make a reef aquarium without live rock.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been under the impression since returning to the hobby that we’ve made strides in knowing how to successfully start a tank with dry rock and have it be just as solid as a live rock based tank with some extra leg work on the front end (i.e. tub cycling the rock to get it seeded, months long rock only in tank cycle before eventually turning the lights on, continuing to cycle before slowly adding coral and eventually fish to allow the dry rock to gain the amount of bacteria live rock would have).

After reading a bunch, it sounds like while it works for SOME people SOMETIMES, it’s not the preferred route. I keep hearing about how much longer the ugly stages are lasting, problems popping up non stop over the first 2-3+ years even with people who took the prudent approach with dry rock. And I’m not talking about problems that are just part of the hobby that the right stocking list and care will quickly get in check for good. I’m talking potentially chronic tank issues and just really slow progress…more headache than is necessary.

My thought process was if I take the safe patient approach with dry rock, I’ll never have the miserable aptasia my first tank had that my filefish couldn’t keep up with, or that bubble algae and Dinos, or the excessive amounts of bristle worms that just generally creep me out. Although, I also wouldn’t get all that cool random biodiversity and random hitchhikers like the sponges, star fish, green star polyp and anemone I was surprised by.

Now I’m becoming more and more convinced that the random unwelcome hitchhikers are much easier to deal with than a tank that never fully stabilizes before it comes down or you need to move. That the benefits of immense biodiversity of live rock from the ocean grossly outweighs any other considerations. After all, I’m always going to be risking hitchhikers with additions of new coral to my tank, new clean up crew, etc.

I think I’m now in the camp of real live rock from the ocean is the only way to go…
I'll sacrifice live rock for life rock or any other paired with bacteria if I'm using real ocean sand (for example: Tampa Bay saltwater live sand)

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if one were to fill the display with dry rock but add a couple pieces of live rock to the sump, would that biodiversity spread to the dry rock eventually?
Eventually. It's a slow process, very slow.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus shipping…

They charge over $80 shipping on their little treasure chest packages.
I mean, they go out in scuba gear and collect your rock/sand, ship it to you on your schedule and it arrives without die off.

I'd say it's more important to a successful tank than the tank you choose.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My order from Florida to Seattle was less than 1.50 per pound air cargo.
Out of curiosity - how did the water/rock weight break down and was there a flat rate on top? Asking as their order system(just checked) doesn’t give you an option to check shipping costs until you buy. Which is frustrating, and something I’m wary of due to the steep shipping on their small packages.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, they go out in scuba gear and collect your rock/sand, ship it to you on your schedule and it arrives without die off.

I'd say it's more important to a successful tank than the tank you choose.
There is a video on YouTube from the 90's , an old vhs tape, showing what they have to go through to get us the rock watch it and it will blow your mind. They are not making much money on what they give us, im with @Townes_Van_Camp it's a bargain for what you get. I will never go back to all dry rock

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity - how did the water/rock weight break down and was there a flat rate on top? Asking as their order system(just checked) doesn’t give you an option to check shipping costs until you buy. Which is frustrating, and something I’m wary of due to the steep shipping on their small packages.
20 pounds sand 20 pounds rock. With water 75 pounds total. The water shipping is key. 117.00 shipping

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how helpful this is, but Southwest’s airfreight (according to KP Aquatics) is about $60-70 for up to 50lbs of live rock, which maybe gives you somewhat of a ballpark idea.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a video on YouTube from the 90's , an old vhs tape, showing what they have to go through to get us the rock watch it and it will blow your mind. They are not making much money on what they give us, im with @Townes_Van_Camp it's a bargain for what you get. I will never go back to all dry rock
I remember seeing this. So cool! Definitely not something they’re seeing huge profits off of.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done live rock for my first 3 tanks, but I have a mix in my 22 cube. For the latter I did use 10 lbs of rock from the larger tank to seed it. I prefer live rock but if I had a large, say 90 gallon or higher I’d do a split.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done live rock for my first 3 tanks, but I have a mix in my 22 cube. For the latter I did use 10 lbs of rock from the larger tank to seed it. I prefer live rock but if I had a large, say 90 gallon or higher I’d do a split.
A reasonable approach for sure. Probably the most popular, and certainly the more economic one.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back