Thinking about a brittle sea star.

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have dwarf blue leg, yellow tip, and zebra hermit crabs in my tank, as well as cardinalfish, clownfish, and Green Chromis. I really have been wanting a brittle sea star but am wondering if any of my hermit crabs will attack/kill the brittle? Or if the brittle will do the same to them or any of my fish. I had a yellow tang but I believe hermits killed it which is why I’m on the fence.

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had hermits with my green brittle serpent for a few years now without any problems. Also, I doubt crabs will kill a yellow tang unless it was on the sand dying.

However, I have heard of the green serpents killing small fish but this have never happened to me before. I think it’s just the green ones you really have to worry about.

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I didn’t see it happen but I’ve heard of cases where crabs have injured a sleeping fish. I tested my waters literally the day before on all the levels and a couple days after the fish died and everything was normal so I don’t see what else would have killed it

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...I guess it could happen but it’s not likely imo. If you think the crabs could potentially kill the serpent you probably shouldn’t get one.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green brittle star we had got very large and started trapping fish. It hid all day and only slithered out late at night, we never saw her. When the tank was taken down the body was the size of a baseball almost. This thing lived in our tank for roughly 9 years to get that big.

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green serpent seems to be dying[emoji53]
0336ce7c2307223336721a3f3fad77d1.jpg

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer! Yeah I’m thinking I should just move all my larger hermits down to my sump just to be safe. And probably just buy a chocolate sea star since I have no coral in my tank yet

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! Yeah my tank is only about 6 months old so I definitely wouldn’t call it a mature tank, I’m not even really sure how long it takes for a tank to be mature

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back