Thinking about a pico

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an empty rimless 5 gallon tank and I’m thinking about starting up a softies tank. I wouldn’t keep a lid on it so I was hoping for some ideas on livestock (not corals).
my husband loves crabs so I may go that route. What else do you think could be a fun and active critter I could put I here. I’m trying to shy away from fish since it’s so tiny.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think they need coral but they do good with softies
Kinda thinking mushrooms and some sexy shrimp or random softies with a pistol shrimp. Do you think it would come out more if it was the only one in the tank?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a group of three in a jar build until it suddenly shattered one day. The good news: the jar will magnify the shrimp at certain angles and make them easy to watch. The bad news: the curves will provide an optical illusion at many different viewing angles that makes it seem as if the shrimp have disappeared.

I keep a lid on my jar build. If you don't do this, and use an airstone for water movement, you'll lose a great deal of water due to evaporation and have to rig some type of ATO unit...or buy a pico ATO system, which can easily look out of place.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back