Thinking about adding another aquarium? Then you should know this...

How many of you have more than ONE saltwater aquarium?

• I have more than one saltwater aquarium

Votes: 382 46.5%
  • Only one, but I am setting up another one now

Votes: 67 8.2%
  • Only one, but I am thinking about adding another

Votes: 111 13.5%
  • Only one and that's enough for now

Votes: 227 27.6%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 34 4.1%

• Total voters

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 reefs currently (225,55,20L,20t) testing is a pita ,water changes pita, only 225 doesn’t have dang red planaria thankfully. Other tanks have em as well as aptasia-working on those issues and my filefish and peppermint shrimp are doing great . I will be shutting down the two twenties eventually as it’s too much for me I realized !

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not counting my quarantine tanks (5+) and sump tanks (5), I have by now 30!

1. What would you say to someone who is thinking of setting up a second aquarium?

Think twice! It's like with rabbits - as soon as you have 2 they start multiplying on their own and before you know it the house is full with them...

2. What is one PRO and one CON to setting up a second saltwater tank?

Pro: you can have more fish/corals/... and better cater to their needs
Con: more work, more cost, less free time...

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - is that like a huge green Nepthea Tree in first picture on left side of tank? That thing is awesome!!
Yes it is. I bought it at as a 2 inch frag June 2020
27 June 20
20200627_122627.jpg
31 March 2021
20210331_220419.jpg

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tanks are like keeping rabbits. First there is one. Then there are two. Then four. Then then then..... And before you know it you are scaling back that 6 to 8 foot mega monster to a tiny little single cube. :) With a damsel.

Jmc534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 47 gallon going and just getting into adding coral. I pulled the trigger on a waterbox cube 10 to have a nano reef. It’s up and running just fine but I’m sort of bored with it. I’m actually looking to sell it if anyone in the Mass area is interested.
37A529D2-1827-457D-859F-DCECF684DE4D.jpeg
B604094B-EF8A-4F15-B32A-86316AE67DB8.jpeg
21094F69-0783-4D50-8082-AB595A8D9056.png

jk1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one 32gl now... but wanting a larger tank. Currently debating on whether I want to keep both as DTs or just upgrade and use the smaller one as a frag grow tank or fish only tank. Decisions, decisions...

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I was thinking about how many of us have more than one saltwater reef aquarium and if it's actually a good idea or not. The thought of a brand new tank, with new equipment and a new "clean slate" does seem quite attractive. More coral, more fish, more fun right? Is it a good idea? Today I want to hear from all of you crazies who have more than one aquarium.

1. What would you say to someone who is thinking of setting up a second aquarium?

image via @Coastie Reefer
597F5C4A-13E9-4969-956E-46BA6A09F282.jpg
I have one mixed reef tank and it's more than enough for me. Between travel for work, cycling, and home ownership, I wouldn't have the time (or the desire) for a second tank.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at it like having kids. The first one is the most expensive and then after that the next ones aren't as bad. However my wife doesn't want me to get more than the 1 that I have. I'd like to have 2 tanks, with a frag of each coral that I have in both tanks, so if one tank crashes I still have every coral.
That last sentence is legit though. Once mine gets cruising I intend to do a frag system to sell cheap stuff locally AND have a back up to everything

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one mixed reef tank and it's more than enough for me. Between travel for work, cycling, and home ownership, I wouldn't have the time (or the desire) for a second tank.
Ditto...I honestly don’t know how you guys do multiple tanks ! Thought I’d try a second one in my office at home...that lasted all of 3 months before I tore it down...wayyyy too much work for me.

Last edited:

Vapor_Tsunami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to set up more aquariums so bad, just make sure you have a good enough ro system if you are doing saltwater. The only thing stopping me is my parents.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

If they have a tank already, I would simply ask what concept they have in mind. Dont think someone wants 3 mixed reefs. Most will do it as with myself to have a different setup ( my 660g is a mixed reef, my oceanic is a fish only and drop off tank is just a cool concept and became the tank for smaller fish.
I hav 3 tanks total and even considered a 4th one at one point, which would have been for seahorses.

pro: Variety of livestock

Con: The electrical bill, The need to make lots of RO water and the amount of food consumed. I go through 8 or more packs of frozen food per month

tanks.png

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 7 up until a month or so ago, now I have 6 (counting the 2 QT tanks I keep running all the time).

Pros - so many different fish & coral combos. Each tank is set up different
Cons - So expensive & a lot of work... you gotta like messing with them or stick to 1

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had more funds and time I would have more but just a large frag tank

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I currently only have 1 saltwater tank, but I have 4 freshwater tanks. I am hoping to sell my cichlids and use my 75 as a second saltwater tank - that's what it originally was.

RalphTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water for 60 years and Salt EVO for two. I like the simplicity and tolerance of FW in contrast to the beauty of SW

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six for me 3- saltwater 3- fresh. Biggest is 375 gallons reef to the smallest 6 gallons Acans only

jayisfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I was thinking about how many of us have more than one saltwater reef aquarium and if it's actually a good idea or not. The thought of a brand new tank, with new equipment and a new "clean slate" does seem quite attractive. More coral, more fish, more fun right? Is it a good idea? Today I want to hear from all of you crazies who have more than one aquarium.

image via @Coastie Reefer
597F5C4A-13E9-4969-956E-46BA6A09F282.jpg
Have two fresh water tanks and am starting a salt water tank when we live in our own home. We currently rent and the landlord does not want tanks set up here... some ridiculous fear of leaking. Anyhow, my son set up the two FW tanks and if we can own it own place, I'm going to set up the marine tank. Just gathering information right now.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back