OP
OP
Cabinetman

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats again on that DIY ozone reactor/Skimmer you made. IMO, the skimmer makes more skimmate initially when ozone is first introduced and that's because the water is being "cleaned up" if you will. After a week or so you may notice that skimmate production drops back to normal and maybe even less than before. From what I understand on the theory here, that happens because you've essentially cleaned up your water so well that there isn't as much gunk to pull out of the system on an ongoing basis so that's a good thing. Look forward to that.
The other thought that comes to mind is that your ORP reading sounds too low. From your video, your tank looks clean so that low of an ORP number seems strange. When I started using an ORP probe, it needed a significant amount of re calibration before it was accurate. It was something like 80 off. It read about 180 but was closer to 250 once properly calibrated. I used calibration fluid that came with the probe to fix that. I had the controller and orp probe for a few months before getting the ozone generator. Before introducing ozone, ORP reading was always around 230-260. Currently the controller keeps the ORP reading to around 325. Be careful to insure your calibration is correct! You have a large tank so you are probably safe running a 200 at full blast 24/7 but don't risk overdoing it. If you go much above 400 in real ORP, a good thing becomes a bad thing fast. At least that is what I have read. That 600mg ozone generator is cheap enough but it may not be necessary, may be loud, and may be junk. Did you say you have a controller?

Thanks for the reply. First off I do think my orp really was that low. I had an ammonia spike the day before from doing something stupid and lost a few fish in the process. Was doing major water changes to combat it. Ozone showed up just in time tbh cause apparantly it converts ammonia to nitrate rapidly. Also the probe has no way to calibrate. It's a Milwaukee and it says it comes pre calibrated. My tank likely was over saturated with gunk too. I've tried to do this tank different and it's been nothing but a nightmare. I always used algae scrubbers before but they are such a pitai didn't want to this time. Anyway. I think the 220 mg ozotech is going to be enough. My orp is rising every day. It was up to 236 this morning. And I do have a controller to. The unit I got monitors and controls. I'm uploading a video now. I'll post it later showing my set up.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great looking tank and fish selection. Your sohal must be the tank boss for sure.

Great idea with the rock to dissipate ozone as well. Glad its working!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine may seem a little weird as I build everything myself. I built my first ozonizer from a Neon transformer but it had the habit of dimming the lights in my neighborhood so I bought one. It's on the wall and it feeds into the venturi at the bottom of my "Very cool" DIY skimmer. Don't look at my phone, it is older than most people here but I still use it because I am old school. It's really a cell phone and that cord is just there so I don't lose it.
That big temperature gauge I took off of a boiler in the basement of the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan. I use it for the temp of my tank.

Nice skimmer. How did you connect the hoses? I mean you drilled holes then epoxied thr pvc plumbing into it? Want to build one too with ozone soon.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I glued, using PVC solvent, extra pieces of PVC, which I made from the extra pieces of skimmer body which is 4" thin PVC. I did that to make those areas thicker so the fittings would hold better. Then I drilled holes in the skimmer body through those extra pieces so the hose fittings fit very tight. Then I used PVC solvent. Later I added epoxy around the fittings just for extra protection. The thing has lasted for many years.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I glued, using PVC solvent, extra pieces of PVC, which I made from the extra pieces of skimmer body which is 4" thin PVC. I did that to make those areas thicker so the fittings would hold better. Then I drilled holes in the skimmer body through those extra pieces so the hose fittings fit very tight. Then I used PVC solvent. Later I added epoxy around the fittings just for extra protection. The thing has lasted for many years.

Thanks, that helps. I made one like that 10 years ago, but didnt thicken it up like you did. I tried gluing on peieces but the kept poping off lol. So i just glued it without but I was scared it would blow apart because i just glued in the pvc to the wall lol. Put a wooden airstone on mine. Wow did it produce black foam. 6ft tall.

It looks like.some sort of tape? Did you use foberglass cloth?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not use fiberglass cloth. I really don't remember how I did it as it was many years ago. I may have even had hair. :confused:
I made a venturi valve for that out of a barb fitting.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 220 mg ozotech is going to be enough

Just found your thread and very happy that I did! I am working on a similar sized system and planning out the ozone now. Do you still use the Ozotech 220? Are you happy with it? Do you run it 24/7? Does it require the highest setting to maintain water clarity?

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched your video. Awesome work! It looks great

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DIY skimmer similar to a lifereef, but square. I wanted to add ozone to this, but I realized I have an extra pump and I could just add another mazzei injector to it and dump the mix straight into my sump. I'm just worried my acryIic sump and equipment may degrade. I still don't see how this is any different from the water exiting the skimmer drain

The reason I don't want to hook it to my skimmer is because i still have to buy a new Ozone rated injector, then I need a solenoid to open up and let my skimmer draw in fresh air when the ozone is off. I only want to run ozone for an hour a night, just for water clarity.

I could always make a quick reactor too. I have a ton of left over acrylic, Id just make a tall rectangular chamber.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 105 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.1%
Back