Thinking about switching to Neptune Apex

  • Thread starter Thread starter goosemans
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I've recently went with Hydros for my tank, and I have no experience with Apex, but I've been very happy with the Hydros hardware and support that I've gotten from them. I think it's more of Ford or Chevy thing, to me at least.
 
In terms of Neptune it seems their support if over worked and slowed down. I

Removed a bit of the text to focus on support. Hope you don't mind.

I have had great luck with Neptune Support. I understand that this is not the case for everyone but to expand a bit on this. I contacted support via their web portal late Friday night for something that I forgot to do earlier in the week. Saturday afternoon I got a email back, lengthy one at that, from Morgan replying to my ticket.

I did not expect anything until Monday afternoon if not Tuesday. Maybe it was something simple to take care of and saw it in passing. No idea. However this has been my experience over the years as a long time user. Heck Paul even called me the day after Thanksgiving a couple of years back when my Trident was acting up.

OP - you are already invested in Hydros. If I was in your shoes, and I admit I am not, run some numbers to see what it would cost to switch. What you may gain. What is your acceptance level of frustration in the migration. There will be some I am sure of because it is new (unless you used Neptune before).

My point is that maybe you can work through whatever issues or challenges you have to stay with what you have if it is working.

Good luck. Hope your day is well.
 
I couldn’t decide between apex or hydros initially. In the end I went for apex because (1) there’s an Ethernet port on the apex brain, it’s much more reliable than WiFi in my experience. In situations when WiFi is heavily used, my wired Ethernet is still working. (2) big 2nd hand reuse market makes it easier to pick up nonfunctional parts or replacement components to fix any out of warranty hardware if ever needed. (3) programability - if one has some programming/software background or willing to invest time to learn, it’s very flexible.
The eb832 is reliable, just keep it in a cabinet or some distance away from a humid/wet area. There was an issue with early eb832s that used a less robust 12v internal supply. There are some webpages detailing the fix.
Otherwise buy an older eb4 or eb8 which are rock solid.
My concern with Hydros is that it relies entirely on WiFi for connectivity.

This is a great point, admittedly one I overlooked when deciding on Hydros. Who knows, maybe they’ll add an Ethernet port to the Maven since we’re all getting that when it comes out anyway?? Hydros, are you listening? 🙏🏼
 
This is a great point, admittedly one I overlooked when deciding on Hydros. Who knows, maybe they’ll add an Ethernet port to the Maven since we’re all getting that when it comes out anyway?? Hydros, are you listening? 🙏🏼
Only reason I have dipped my toes in one for another tank. Please add ethernet and get rid of barcode scanning on the Maven and Ill add it to my second tank!
 
Removed a bit of the text to focus on support. Hope you don't mind.

I have had great luck with Neptune Support. I understand that this is not the case for everyone but to expand a bit on this. I contacted support via their web portal late Friday night for something that I forgot to do earlier in the week. Saturday afternoon I got a email back, lengthy one at that, from Morgan replying to my ticket.

I did not expect anything until Monday afternoon if not Tuesday. Maybe it was something simple to take care of and saw it in passing. No idea. However this has been my experience over the years as a long time user. Heck Paul even called me the day after Thanksgiving a couple of years back when my Trident was acting up.

OP - you are already invested in Hydros. If I was in your shoes, and I admit I am not, run some numbers to see what it would cost to switch. What you may gain. What is your acceptance level of frustration in the migration. There will be some I am sure of because it is new (unless you used Neptune before).

My point is that maybe you can work through whatever issues or challenges you have to stay with what you have if it is working.

Good luck. Hope your day is well.
I've never had bad support just slow support if I email. If it is an emergency, I've always live chatted Ecotech (they'll connect you to Neptune) or called. I do think they prioritize like most support places do, I had a return pump go out and they answered right away same when mine EB went out, Trident issue took a week and so did random noncritical issues. Morgan I agree is a beast!
 
This is a great point, admittedly one I overlooked when deciding on Hydros. Who knows, maybe they’ll add an Ethernet port to the Maven since we’re all getting that when it comes out anyway?? Hydros, are you listening? 🙏🏼

Hydros isn’t adding Ethernet. They have been adamant about that. Unless they back track on everything they’ve said trying to justify why Ethernet isn’t needed
 
Team apex. My only complaint where I think hydros has it beat are more secure connectors. My salinity probe for example always pops off when I’m messing with cables at the base of the head unit. Wish every connector was like the ph/orp twist. But nothing has ever just randomly come loose. Other than have always been able to code what ever needs I have add.

As for the eb832. I have 2 and pretty much maxed using all 16 plug. At time they push up to 10-12 amps across each unit. Have a 600w heater on each. No issues so far. Think as long as you keep everything under manufacture power recommendation they hold well.
 
I currently have Hydros controllers, specifically the X10, XP8, and Wave Engine. I’ve thought about expanding my collective with more of their stuff, but no longer will be buying any products from coralvue. To me, it looks like they are falling apart as a company. I have this feeling they’re not gonna be around much longer or be bought out. Main reason why I went with hydros to begin with is their controllers were relatively cheaper than Neptune. In less than one year the XP8 has gone up from $279 to $330, along with outrageous price increases for everything they sell and distribute. I could go on and on about problems/issues I’ve been noticing.

I’ve seen the reviews on the EB832 on BRS and they don’t look to be that positive. What are y’all’s experience with Neptune? Any regrets or things that I should be aware about?
I think you are going to get a lot of mixed answers here. I personally use the apex system and I love it. It’s accurate and works as intended. I think a lot of people overload or mis use the energy bar. I have two for over a year and no issues with either. But that’s also why I have two, so I can spread the load. The apex ecosystem is nice to use and laid out in any configuration you want. I have a trident and two dose units and all work as intended. The salinity probe is most likely the one to get the most flack as it goes out of adjustment quickly. However it you understand margins for errors in any electronic equipment then it’s acceptable. Personally I wouldn’t run anything but apex and I know this is a hot topic for debate.
I agree, there is probably a pro/ con list out there… I have an ApexA3/trident/dos/ato. 3 months in and my only complaint is programming the various devices hooked up to it… wish I had more time to dedicate to this, but for the moment all is well and the potential for improvements on my part is huge. One day I’ll get there.
I measure salinity via a Milwaukee meter daily, bc I heard bad reviews about the probe.
It handles daily water changes perfectly
I keep the equipment in a separate cabinet to keep components from corroding …so far so good.
I vote Apex.
 
I have used Neptune Apex since 1997 and really enjoy the changes and upgrades through the years. I find it very easy to buy what I need, and know what I’m getting. I find Hydros a bit confusing to decide what to buy. So many choices that overlap one another.

The one thing of Hydros that I know I WILL buy if it ever comes out and works is the Maven. This is the one major benefit of Hydros. Whatever you buy can work on its own regardless. That you can’t do with the Neptune Apex.
 
Removed a bit of the text to focus on support. Hope you don't mind.

I have had great luck with Neptune Support. I understand that this is not the case for everyone but to expand a bit on this. I contacted support via their web portal late Friday night for something that I forgot to do earlier in the week. Saturday afternoon I got a email back, lengthy one at that, from Morgan replying to my ticket.

I did not expect anything until Monday afternoon if not Tuesday. Maybe it was something simple to take care of and saw it in passing. No idea. However this has been my experience over the years as a long time user. Heck Paul even called me the day after Thanksgiving a couple of years back when my Trident was acting up.

OP - you are already invested in Hydros. If I was in your shoes, and I admit I am not, run some numbers to see what it would cost to switch. What you may gain. What is your acceptance level of frustration in the migration. There will be some I am sure of because it is new (unless you used Neptune before).

My point is that maybe you can work through whatever issues or challenges you have to stay with what you have if it is working.

Good luck. Hope your day is well.
My biggest gripe was actually wanting to expand my hydros collective when I break down my current tank, move, and set up a bigger tank. But now I don’t want to due to huge price increases well above the rest of the industry, it just doesn’t sit right with me paying a premium now for something that Apex can do for less. I understand the mindset of wanting to get their products right before releasing but having constant delays and breaking promises on products doesn’t make a company look good. I’ve been waiting almost a year for a wave engine connector for their icecap fp pumps. Connor explained that it’s more than just a connector, which I understand and appreciated the explanation. Regardless, a year (if not more) seems like a ridiculous amount of time to create one, especially since this isn’t their first go around.
 
If you decide to sell your hydros stuff, let me know. I’d be interested. I love my hydros stuff. Prefer it over the apex stuff I had.
 
I prefer Hydros, sold all Apex stuff when the Hydros hit the market. Ease of use, never disconnects in my case, easy updates.
 
I couldn’t decide between apex or hydros initially. In the end I went for apex because (1) there’s an Ethernet port on the apex brain, it’s much more reliable than WiFi in my experience. In situations when WiFi is heavily used, my wired Ethernet is still working. (2) big 2nd hand reuse market makes it easier to pick up nonfunctional parts or replacement components to fix any out of warranty hardware if ever needed. (3) programability - if one has some programming/software background or willing to invest time to learn, it’s very flexible.
The eb832 is reliable, just keep it in a cabinet or some distance away from a humid/wet area. There was an issue with early eb832s that used a less robust 12v internal supply. There are some webpages detailing the fix.
Otherwise buy an older eb4 or eb8 which are rock solid.
My concern with Hydros is that it relies entirely on WiFi for connectivity.
The Hydros will still communicate with the other controllers in a collective over the command bus and not wifi. If you loose wifi you would loose communications between the controllers and any wifi devices like the wifi power strips but I don't put anything mission critical on those. You can also connect via bluetooth in an emergency and it will let you override the outputs to off, auto or on. It will also let you start a mode such as feed mode using bluetooth. I was without internet for 5 days straight one time and had to use bluetooth to check on things and it did work for doing that. Each controller has wifi built into it. I have 17 controllers. It would be a nightmare to connect all of them to wired internet. Each controller still communicates with the cloud via wifi and internet. I have had very few issues with my local wifi. Most of mine are with internet access.
 
I've never used hydros so can't compare.

But I've had a really good experience with Apex.

My only big problem was trident NP... And I took a known risk on that.

However, even that appears to be making progess.

I really like the fusion interface.


I use my apex to control awc, ato, feeding, testing, dosing, alarms.

No regrets.... Yet! 😁
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new