Thinking of getting a controller finally

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of making the plunge into controller world.
I'm not sure what I want to get. I like the Neptune products, because of the apex and Trident testing.
I'm not sure if it's worth getting the standard apex or the EL version. I've read lots of positive and negative responses to both.

I was also looking at HYDROS Control X4, but I'm almost more confused about it then before I even looked at it.

I was also looking at the mastertronic and ghl products, but they are almost impossible to get.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like using controllers. People in love to debate the merits of "one vs the other", but honestly the difference between "controller vs no controller" is so big that I expect you will love whatever you end up with.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't do wrong getting a controller. It makes life so much easier. I can only speak for a GHL and Apex as I have both. I hear good things about the Hydros as well.

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said, I have owned a reef keeper 2 (discontinued), an aqua controller3, and two apex systems. I'm a Neptune fan. I'm sure the others are great too, but I love what I know.
Ya I'm probably leaning towards the Neptune products, I love the price of the EL version, but worried I would be restricted in some way. I like the idea of running Trident testing...I'm lazy when it comes to that, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, one suggestion I do have: get a used one. You can find a used controller for 1/3 the price of new if you are not in a hurry.
I would, but I also want the warranty...just in case.

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than missing 2 probes on the EL version (salinity and ORP), is there anything else that sticks out as something needed, but missing?
Is it compatible with the Trident?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted for what controller you choose .
I have been debating this same thing for years but
1) don’t want to become lazier
2) don’t have the slightest idea what I want to be controlled .

I like the idea but besides the programable timers I already have for lights , how much easier could that get ?
Return pump , wave makers skimmer
All run 24/7

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a hydros with the xp8 bar and its fantastic. be advised they don't make it super clear that you need 2 terminator attachments and a cable to attach the two units if you get the power bar

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted for what controller you choose .
I have been debating this same thing for years but
1) don’t want to become lazier
2) don’t have the slightest idea what I want to be controlled .

I like the idea but besides the programable timers I already have for lights , how much easier could that get ?
Return pump , wave makers skimmer
All run 24/7

What really sets a controller apart from a smart timer is the ability to set up complicated contingencies. For my tank, I get the most using the controller for over heating emergencies. If my tank gets to a certain temp, I turn off the bulb on the UV. If it's still too hot, I turn off the pump on the UV. If the temp is still too high, I turn off the main light, if it's still too hot, I turn off all lights.

I've not set up a controller with a salinity probe yet, but I love the idea of getting a notification to my phone of the salinity is out of wack.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello mate,
I’ve had both hydros and apex and they’re both different in their own ways but both great options. I personally prefer the apex because it’s a easier controller to work with if it’s your first controller also I have a trident running with it and I’m lazy when it comes to constantly testing for stuff.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
100% recommend the use of a controller. I'm lucky enough to run both ghl & apex as well on 2 systems. I love both of them to be honest. However, the hardware seems to be of better build quality with ghl. Apex seems to be a bit easier to use and has a lot more info and users in America though. That parts helps quite a bit. Best of luck to you :)

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% recommend the use of a controller. I'm lucky enough to run both ghl & apex as well on 2 systems. I love both of them to be honest. However, the hardware seems to be of better build quality with ghl. Apex seems to be a bit easier to use and has a lot more info and users in America though. That parts helps quite a bit. Best of luck to you :)
I love the GHL, but it's like trying to find sasquatch and the cost is close to a ride on SpaceX, lol.
You're very lucky to have both, thanks for your opinion.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I love the GHL, but it's like trying to find sasquatch and the cost is close to a ride on SpaceX, lol.
You're very lucky to have both, thanks for your opinion.
I hear ya there. Absolutely the most expensive parts of my systems but once you get them dialed in, you have so much more control & 99% of the time peace of mind. Once again best of luck. It seems they are all pretty darn good but all do have some setbacks or difficulties. :)

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an apex because it would work with most of my equipment (LED lights, kalk dosing system, algae scrubber) and offered more monitoring capabilities. I almost got a Hydros but went with the historical knowledge database and I don't mind coding. I still might get a hydros when i setup the nano again.

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an apex because it would work with most of my equipment (LED lights, kalk dosing system, algae scrubber) and offered more monitoring capabilities. I almost got a Hydros but went with the historical knowledge database and I don't mind coding. I still might get a hydros when i setup the nano again.
So with apex, you need to code?

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with apex, you need to code?
kinda sorta....it definitely helps if you understand coding language in regards to the IF THEN type setups. It's not "required" but the UI is definitely a little clunky. You can get through most of the simple tasks, but you kinda need some light coding to get into the nitty gritty with it. The coding is real basic, but it's a learning curve. It's how you set ON/OFF functions, ranges, etc. You can do most of this through the UI, but when you start adding random equipment and stuff it helps.

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kinda sorta....it definitely helps if you understand coding language in regards to the IF THEN type setups. It's not "required" but the UI is definitely a little clunky. You can get through most of the simple tasks, but you kinda need some light coding to get into the nitty gritty with it. The coding is real basic, but it's a learning curve. It's how you set ON/OFF functions, ranges, etc. You can do most of this through the UI, but when you start adding random equipment and stuff it helps.
Didn't know about this, thanks for the heads up

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back