Thinking of getting a controller finally

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know about this, thanks for the heads up
Coding is not hard, you just have to understand it. Their are plenty of threads here that teach you the coding how to.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know about this, thanks for the heads up
example for PH monitoring and equipment:

"pH_High"
Set OFF
If pH > 8.50 Then ON
Defer 060:00 Then ON

"pH_Low" (virtual outlet)
Set OFF
If pH < 7.70 Then ON
Defer 060:00 Then ON

These do things based on the PH reading at anyone time - and they have to be sustained for 60 minutes as sometime weird stuff happens - but it basically is shutting dosing on or off.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What really sets a controller apart from a smart timer is the ability to set up complicated contingencies. For my tank, I get the most using the controller for over heating emergencies. If my tank gets to a certain temp, I turn off the bulb on the UV. If it's still too hot, I turn off the pump on the UV. If the temp is still too high, I turn off the main light, if it's still too hot, I turn off all lights.

I've not set up a controller with a salinity probe yet, but I love the idea of getting a notification to my phone of the salinity is out of wack.
Your not missing anything with the salinity probe, lol. Mine has never read 'right' its fairly accurate but a few ppt off constantly.

The rest of this I totally agree. My Apex pulled through last week when my hose popped off my return pump in my stand. It shut off everything which moves water soon as it saw the leak. That's the redundancy you can program over a smart outlet.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, most of the coding auto-generates, so you don't need to mess with it. Its when you want to tweak certain things, or add more to the coding is when you need to understand it.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
kinda sorta....it definitely helps if you understand coding language in regards to the IF THEN type setups. It's not "required" but the UI is definitely a little clunky. You can get through most of the simple tasks, but you kinda need some light coding to get into the nitty gritty with it. The coding is real basic, but it's a learning curve. It's how you set ON/OFF functions, ranges, etc. You can do most of this through the UI, but when you start adding random equipment and stuff it helps.
Well said!

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ya gotta be careful with how many alarms you put on any controller....nothing like getting woken up at 3am to a alarm about my salinity being....squints....45 ppt....I don't believe you. roll over, go back to bed. It's best for TRENDS I think to remember for any aquarium. It's a data collection system first and foremost for me.

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, most of the coding auto-generates, so you don't need to mess with it. Its when you want to tweak certain things, or add more to the coding is when you need to understand it.
I think I can understand the basics of the program, I just don't want to be writing 10011001010...lol

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can understand the basics of the program, I just don't want to be writing 10011001010...lol
No it's basically script based. It's pretty simple. I think people should be aware and willing to deal with it, but it's no reef pi, it's a consumer forward product first and foremost, not designed for insane programming junkies. I wouldn't make a decision on product based on that so don't let me scare you!

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ya gotta be careful with how many alarms you put on any controller....nothing like getting woken up at 3am to a alarm about my salinity being....squints....45 ppt....I don't believe you. roll over, go back to bed. It's best for TRENDS I think to remember for any aquarium. It's a data collection system first and foremost for me.
This is what I want, but along with testing and dosing requirements

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish the auto coding did a better job. I have two apex classics, so it may be better for the 2016 guys but I ended up doing the 'advanced' coding for 80 percent of what I do.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I'm probably doing a bit more than the average user: custom ato floats and pump, cabinet doors switching for stand lighting, programmable feed and e-stop buttons, custom leak detection, remote skimmate container float switch and one or two I've forgot

Last edited:

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I want, but along with testing and dosing requirements
You can go in on the apex and manually log outside test numbers too for it to track, so no more scraps of paper laying around and me going "when was this done?". Now if someone could tell me why I care about ORP I'll have it all. There is such a thing as "data oversaturation" though. You can drive yourself crazy. lol.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any issues hooking up a dosing pump that isn't Neptune?
I have a cheapie coral box doser right now, and it's a wifi doser, so unless it's a DOS you can basically turn it on and off with the apex if it's supported. I still haven't gotten around to tweaking and messing with dosing on it yet so I can't give you hard facts other than what I've seen personally on that end.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any issues hooking up a dosing pump that isn't Neptune?
I know others have added different dosing pumps to the Apex, but, in truth the DOS is a solid doser. I have been using mine for over 2 years and only have had to replace the heads 1 time, and only did it because I do tune ups periodically even when its not needed. Even though I switched to GHL from Apex, I still run both controllers on the same tank. I have always tried to be fair when comparing, and I can not say a single thing bad about the DOS.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello mate,
I’ve had both hydros and apex and they’re both different in their own ways but both great options. I personally prefer the apex because it’s a easier controller to work with if it’s your first controller also I have a trident running with it and I’m lazy when it comes to constantly testing for stuff.
I've also had both, and If argue the Hydros is way easier to use.

So who knows.

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controllers are a fantastic tool to have on the system.
I recently did a write up here on R2R to help people like you on deciding what to get. I only go over Apex and Hydros as they are the only two i have worked with. My hopes is to get my hands on a GHL and see what its all about.

I liked them both. They did their jobs and then some for me.
Hydros comes in a little cheaper in some instances, but i feel the apex can take you further. Really think through your wants and needs out of it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Controller is like having a watchdog at your tank to tend to, monitor and report the activity of your tank.
I call my Apex " My Butler"

A Fish Called Wanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I'm probably leaning towards the Neptune products, I love the price of the EL version, but worried I would be restricted in some way. I like the idea of running Trident testing...I'm lazy when it comes to that, lol
I have a Neptune Apex which I’ve had no issues with. Knock on wood. Major step up from my old ReefKeeper controller. The one thing that you may want to check your pros and cons is the Trident testing. I’ve heard a lot of people complaining about the price and the availability of it in stock. Good Luck on any of your discussions…

Back