OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent 2 hrs yesterday cleaning up the gha. Knocked it back quite a bit. Some was really stuck and other bits came right off. Prob got about a 3/4 cup out not counting the water which was probably 2c. It seemed like quite alot.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly check in. The battle continues. Tomorrow is another day of pulling. And I found some aptasia so while I'm at it gonna paste over what I can and plug what I can't paste. Ran my tests all is within acceptable ranges. My alk was the only thing that was a bit on the low side and I realized I hadn't put the baking soda in the ato like I normally do.
Thanks to @Mibu I got my first set of par readings for the tank. I am low, alot. So I went to modify the schedule and realized my light remotes had different schedules in them and I was running the weaker one. Reset the lights and will retest tomorrow at lunch when it's at its peak output.
Mom is coming into town tomorrow. Gonna work on getting house 2 cleaned out and on the market in the next week.
Oh and my rfa has a case of the "wanna dies". I moved it to the middle of the tank.
20220818_155213.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Weekly check in. The battle continues. Tomorrow is another day of pulling. And I found some aptasia so while I'm at it gonna paste over what I can and plug what I can't paste. Ran my tests all is within acceptable ranges. My alk was the only thing that was a bit on the low side and I realized I hadn't put the baking soda in the ato like I normally do.
Thanks to @Mibu I got my first set of par readings for the tank. I am low, alot. So I went to modify the schedule and realized my light remotes had different schedules in them and I was running the weaker one. Reset the lights and will retest tomorrow at lunch when it's at its peak output.
Mom is coming into town tomorrow. Gonna work on getting house 2 cleaned out and on the market in the next week.
Oh and my rfa has a case of the "wanna dies". I moved it to the middle of the tank.
20220818_155213.jpg
That nem is really close to the blender.
Cleaning out house #2.
Remember when?
20220820_093504.jpg
Takes me back to when I was a kid. I don't want to remember that far back.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220818_155213.jpg
What's life without a little danger?

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to test out the geny last night. I had gotten a notification around 6:30pm that the return pump lost internet. No big deal it will continue to run without it. Got home at about 8:00, right about dusk. Walked in the house and something wasn't right. The garage door wouldn't open (first sign power is out) but the neighbors appeared to have power. Went inside and the ceiling fan was running really slow and the freshwater hob filter was sucking air. That's odd. Turns out we hadn't lost power completely but were in a brown out. GREAT. Flipped of the main and went to go hook up the generator. It wouldn't start. Gas yup put fresh in, choke you gas line open yup. Eventually, after I got frustrated enough, I called the man saying I was having issues. He came over and after another half hr we got it running and everything was fine. Probably a combo of bad gas, it had been sitting since I bought it in spring, and flooding the engine. Ran up to get more gas and ended up spilling some because the gosh darn new "safety feature" on the new cans. Power came back on at 11:30. Oh and still no internet. Good news is we're all good now, pending the internet, and I know better how to use the gene going forward. Bad news well none really other then I am tired and cranky today. But hey no different then any other day.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well not sure why but the RFA that was heading towards the power head is gone. It must have known something or there was an issue. it looks like something had been eating it so i just pulled it from the tank and flushed it. It was huge before i upgraded and was never really the same after the move. Cleaned up some more GHA and ordered 100 assorted hermits to help. I know that it seems like alot of them but I can always use some in the frag tank too so that should help. Also lost a milli it just went white overnight. Thinking it may have had something to do with the brown out the other day or the low alk, or maybe because i upped the lights. Either way i am definitely not getting anything else until this GHA phase passes. I know it will eventually. its only been 4 months since the transfer so its still very early. Working on finalizing the PAR settings as well so i can get @Mibu her meter back this weekend. I am seeing more coraline algae on the rocks as i pull the GHA so that is a good thing. I have the skimmer back on 24/7 and the Chaeto is back in the sump with off cycle light. Test tomorrow morning and a 30g or so water change tomorrow pm.
Edit: also found out that my wavemakers (jaebo) when synced master slave via wifi mess with my reefbreeder lights and its wifi schedule. SO i fixed that and all is good, i think.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homie you're about there with the GHA. Just keep grinding. It'll pay off!

Weird with the Rock flower. Any chance it released and balled up, Then rolled?

. I've got a special case BTA that after splitting, got the absolute Snot kicked out of it by my neon carpet.

A year later and it's still tiny, kind of deformed and stupid looking. It's been through multiple antibiotic treatments. Not sick, Just kind of stupid... Nems be weird.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhanks for the encouragement. The gha is definately a result of using dry rock in the new build. It's not on any of the old rock that came over in the move.
The nem was never happy after the move. It started searching for a new home about a month ago. When I moved it from going into the powerhead i used an old key card and made sure I didn't hurt the foot. I didn't really care for it but it was so big it looked cool. It looked like it threw up its guts and a quarter of it was all torn up. Wasn't pretty anymore.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhanks for the encouragement. The gha is definately a result of using dry rock in the new build. It's not on any of the old rock that came over in the move.
The nem was never happy after the move. It started searching for a new home about a month ago. When I moved it from going into the powerhead i used an old key card and made sure I didn't hurt the foot. I didn't really care for it but it was so big it looked cool. It looked like it threw up its guts and a quarter of it was all torn up. Wasn't pretty anymore.
I've got ~50 lb of dry Marco rock, given to me that I'm going to use as base rock in the new build. I've never started anything with dry but I know the nem tank was a dry start a year before I got it. The thought being, I'm going to hide it from the light, and it can get ugly while it gets useful out of sight if it's going to.

The nem tank took a full 6 months for it to stop being generally ugly with algae. I asked KP rock as well as my og rock in, and the algae issues about disappeared overnight.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got ~50 lb of dry Marco rock, given to me that I'm going to use as base rock in the new build. I've never started anything with dry but I know the nem tank was a dry start a year before I got it. The thought being, I'm going to hide it from the light, and it can get ugly while it gets useful out of sight if it's going to.

The nem tank took a full 6 months for it to stop being generally ugly with algae. I asked KP rock as well as my og rock in, and the algae issues about disappeared overnight.
I was thinking I the hermits don't handle it in 90days I'll get a nice piece of live rock from kp or one of the other shops I've heard about on here.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the meter is working, I'm in no hurry on the return. Do as you need to get your lights dialed in.
Thanks I really appreciate it. I just feel weird having other people's stuff. I'm always worried something will happen.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks I really appreciate it. I just feel weird having other people's stuff. I'm always worried something will happen.
It's alright.

I mixed 10lbs of kp rock, they gave me 15. With 25+lbs dry white rock, +15lbs of rock from the lfs. Anyhow lfs and white rock covered and caked with gha. Tore the rock apart and cleaned it all a few months later. All gha went away. Came back at 6 month time. Rinse and repeat. No gha out break since. It's there. The urchin and few snails I got take care of the rest.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have far more patience than I do. I tried to fight gha manually for a month, then peroxided it. It hasn't come back... yet, but I'm sure I lost goods with the bads.
I was never and am still not a patient person. I consider this penance I have to pay for not bucking up and spending the extra $$$ for good live rock like I should have. But I got 25 lbs of it for free. So there is some truth to the saying no such thing as a free lunch. Thing I don't get is I soaked it for over a month before it was even in the tank. Leaching phos is real.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was never and am still not a patient person. I consider this penance I have to pay for not bucking up and spending the extra $$$ for good live rock like I should have. But I got 25 lbs of it for free. So there is some truth to the saying no such thing as a free lunch. Thing I don't get is I soaked it for over a month before it was even in the tank. Leaching phos is real.
If there's one thing I keep learning about this hobby it's that there are very few shortcuts. "You can do it quick, right, and cheaply, but you can only pick two."

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back