KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@F i s h y is a bad influence.....
Bought some fish today.
20220910_142051.jpg

And went to see Jeremy at Modern aquatix. This is the same guy that I bought some of my first coral from. A dragon soul and Duncan. He had something I could not pass up.
20220910_131133.jpg

20220910_131129.jpg

Good size good price good shape. So I pulled the trigger. He also had a tail spot and some bengii cardinals that if they are still there I may grab. I don't leave here till next Monday and he holding him for me. He gets another shipment in on Thursday so I will probably run down there after work thurs or Friday to see what he gets in. His prices are better then at home as well so it was worth it for me.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bought some fish today.
20220910_142051.jpg

And went to see Jeremy at Modern aquatix. This is the same guy that I bought some of my first coral from. A dragon soul and Duncan. He had something I could not pass up.
20220910_131133.jpg

20220910_131129.jpg

Good size good price good shape. So I pulled the trigger. He also had a tail spot and some bengii cardinals that if they are still there I may grab. I don't leave here till next Monday and he holding him for me. He gets another shipment in on Thursday so I will probably run down there after work thurs or Friday to see what he gets in. His prices are better then at home as well so it was worth it for me.
Sounds like a good influence to me!

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought some fish today.
20220910_142051.jpg

20220910_131133.jpg

20220910_131129.jpg

I love it!... great grab. I saw that guy when I was there friday.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in Franklin about an hour and change away from mom and dad's.
They fly in late tomorrow and then I head home Monday. Can't wait to get the fish. Gonna need a name for it.
Twenty days till I go on my very first true solo adventure. Promo video:

Yes sharks no cage and I can not wait.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They fly in late tomorrow and then I head home Monday. Can't wait to get the fish. Gonna need a name for it.

Oh I'm going to need lots of pics!

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news : got a text this am 10 mins before I was set to leave to get the fish from Jeremy that it had died over night. Yeah. He even sent a pic. Poor thing. Got a refund so we're all good and better there then here.
Good news : made it home safe and sound.
Bad news : tanks are a disaster. Gha over everything. Power heads covered and weir clogged to the point where the tank was almost overflowing.
Good news : all the fish are alive.
Bad news: lost the torch and all the new sps I was trying out. And clean up is going to take the rest of the week. Already started.
Good news : my man tried his best and did an awesome job while I was gone. Some things can't be helped.
Bad news : it's 8pm and I am exhausted.
Good news : he is keeping the dogs one more night so I can get a bath and a good night's sleep.

Me : 0
World : 10

Tomorrow is testing and water change in the am before work then more pulling. I can't tell until I test but my guess is that a ton of the new hermits died off causing a nutrient spike. Guess we will know for sure tomorrow.
Night all.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news : got a text this am 10 mins before I was set to leave to get the fish from Jeremy that it had died over night. Yeah. He even sent a pic. Poor thing. Got a refund so we're all good and better there then here.
Good news : made it home safe and sound.
Bad news : tanks are a disaster. Gha over everything. Power heads covered and weir clogged to the point where the tank was almost overflowing.
Good news : all the fish are alive.
Bad news: lost the torch and all the new sps I was trying out. And clean up is going to take the rest of the week. Already started.
Good news : my man tried his best and did an awesome job while I was gone. Some things can't be helped.
Bad news : it's 8pm and I am exhausted.
Good news : he is keeping the dogs one more night so I can get a bath and a good night's sleep.

Me : 0
World : 10

Tomorrow is testing and water change in the am before work then more pulling. I can't tell until I test but my guess is that a ton of the new hermits died off causing a nutrient spike. Guess we will know for sure tomorrow.
Night all.
No worries... when the time comes fishy fraggy wonderland will help fill up that tank :)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your head up homie!

I tore my hair half out before I got the reefer 250 to stabilize and stop being a constant Richard. It was algae, then dinos and cyano and algae, then it just kind of stopped one day.. urchins are helpful at maintaining after you manually remove.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all it is a bit frustrating but I know it will be worth it. That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Plus I am learning a ton so I am better for that at least. Well time for coffee and testing. Will post results soon.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sal 34.4 *
Temp 76.6
Ph 8.15
No 10
Po 20 (.061)
Alk 7.896 hanna 8.0 salifert
Ca .12 (440)
MG 1500+2 drops

* so like I said he didn't know to check the weir so the flow in the tank had been impeded. This caused the ato in the sump to kick on. So easily fixed with evaporation. Going to let it come back naturally over the course of the week.

I know the po and no look "ok" because excess is being consumed. So did a 35g water change (that's the most I can do). I also forgot to mention I won a micro algae pack from K and P aquatics that will end up in the sump. Hopefully that will help as well. Chaeto is there as well but need more. Skimmer is still running 24 7. Added the prodibio after the water change also. Changed out socks.
Let's see how it looks at the end of the week.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the micro algae and I am head over heels. Sorry for the crappy pic but here's what I scored.
Thanks to https://www.kandpaquaculture.com/

Left Red Ogo Right Red Grape Culerpa
20220922_174328.jpg

I believe this is Culerpa Mexicana (Feather Algea) and a BIG gob of Codium that I split into smaller chunks.
20220922_174418.jpg

And finally Culerpa Prolifera
20220922_174424.jpg

These bad boys along with the little bit of Chaeto that didnt get overrun with GHA are all in the sump. I am running a red lamp 8 hrs so we will see if that all will out compete the GHA.
I did some pulling and it wasn't the worst at getting it out. In fact it let go pretty easy. There was just a LOT. Now if you all hate the smell of skim mate (i am weird and dont mind it) there is something worse. Yeah so the first day I forgot to empty my yogurt container that i was using to put the GHA in after pulling. I woke up came downstairs and there was this weird smell. Then after work i started pulling again up on the ladder with the yogurt container at my feet. The first grab full of GHA hit the old stuff and OMMFG i about heaved. That stuff STANK. But did i go and empty it NOOOOO i kept pulling and it kept stinking until i got done and then i flushed the ever loving glob of green snot crud down the toilet and shut the door.
SO now everything is looking better. One more day of pulling tomorrow and we will be back to where i was. Most everything is looking happy as well. I have a couple things i want to modify like knock the returns down from 4 to 2 and add the old sicce pumps back in for additional flow. but that can wait. there is a big swap next weekend as well that i will be going to but no spendy spendy this time. saving up.

Last edited:

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

just looked at their page.
much has changed since I cruised with them. (3x)
they used to be docked in miami and you would make night time crossings to and from.
no AC back then.
no shark dives, but we managed to find a few to play with.
a lot of great/bad memories from those trips.
hope you have a fab time.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just looked at their page.
much has changed since I cruised with them. (3x)
they used to be docked in miami and you would make night time crossings to and from.
no AC back then.
no shark dives, but we managed to find a few to play with.
a lot of great/bad memories from those trips.
hope you have a fab time.
How long since you dived in general? I think they are more "corporate" now, but what isn't I guess. I am just hoping the storms stay in the gulf and we have decent weather. The diving looks about average, but the fact it's a liveaboard for a week is what is going to be my main challenge. It will really test my social skills and anxiety, no where to escape to. I am afraid to ask but I'm going to what was the best and worst part for you? Understanding that it was a while ago.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long since you dived in general? I think they are more "corporate" now, but what isn't I guess. I am just hoping the storms stay in the gulf and we have decent weather. The diving looks about average, but the fact it's a liveaboard for a week is what is going to be my main challenge. It will really test my social skills and anxiety, no where to escape to. I am afraid to ask but I'm going to what was the best and worst part for you? Understanding that it was a while ago.
early 90's were my last dives. maui.
after that had kids. the wife (ex) had no interest in diving, and we bought a house too far from any dive shop for me to keep instructing. so I sold everything.

the best:
being able to be wet as much as you wanted.
3/4 dives daily.
a few night dives.
snorkeling/free diving when ever we were anchored for the night.
spearfishing was available back then.

the food was good. all you could eat buffet setup.
unlimited rum punch if that's your thing.

the bad are personal memories. doubtful will happen to you.

waking up in a storm crossing back to miami in 15' seas.

someone in my entourage coke od'd while walking back from the bar with me. had a seizure, fell and hit his head on the pavement. more seizures before the coastguard arrived to air e-vac him to miami. after that excitement I got interrogated by the local law enforcement.

side note: it's crowded. pack very light. we always drove down and stayed at my parents condo before getting aboard.
so I could duffle bag pack my clothes. if you're going solo, you'll end up in berths 1-4 and there are upper and lower berths. get on board as soon as possible and grab the one you want. aside from your dive gear, what ever you bring is in your bunk with you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
early 90's were my last dives. maui.
after that had kids. the wife (ex) had no interest in diving, and we bought a house too far from any dive shop for me to keep instructing. so I sold everything.

the best:
being able to be wet as much as you wanted.
3/4 dives daily.
a few night dives.
snorkeling/free diving when ever we were anchored for the night.
spearfishing was available back then.

the food was good. all you could eat buffet setup.
unlimited rum punch if that's your thing.

the bad are personal memories. doubtful will happen to you.

waking up in a storm crossing back to miami in 15' seas.

someone in my entourage coke od'd while walking back from the bar with me. had a seizure, fell and hit his head on the pavement. more seizures before the coastguard arrived to air e-vac him to miami. after that excitement I got interrogated by the local law enforcement.

side note: it's crowded. pack very light. we always drove down and stayed at my parents condo before getting aboard.
so I could duffle bag pack my clothes. if you're going solo, you'll end up in berths 1-4 and there are upper and lower berths. get on board as soon as possible and grab the one you want. aside from your dive gear, what ever you bring is in your bunk with you.
Awesome, not your buddy or 15 ft seas,, but all the rest. I managed to get everything I'm gonna need in a backpack. Regulator and gopro always travel on my person as well. It's stuffed but light was the goal. Bcd, fins, etc go in a belly bag with a couple microfibre towels, jacket and more bulky stuff. Staying at the motel/hotel right there in the marina the night prior so time won't be an issue. I think if I remember right the dive leader from my shop said only 2 females (me and someone else's wifey) out of 20 divers so I may have to pull the "girl card" out to get a good bunk. I rarely use it but this may be a good time to dust it off. Also got my global traveler card so tsa and customs shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks so much for the insight. You should get back in the water yourself!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back