Third time better be the charm

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for the third and final installment of the Stang67 upgrade saga. That would make this build the trifecta or the trilogy or the tricycle or the official 3rd time is a charm build.
If this past year and a half has taught me anything it has taught me to not take anything for granted and to live each day to its fullest. So I decided that I would start planning the forever tank build.
Some back story for those of you that missed the first 2 episodes....
Started with an off the shelf aqueon 29g just to see if I could do it. Now that was back in March of 2019. (Insert initial build thread here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/theres-a-first-time-for-everything-29-g-newbie.577313/post-7267233
Things went well so well in fact that within a year I upgraded to a 65g low boy (insert second thread here : see above)
That build has been up an running for the last year and a half and I have been really happy with how successful that has turned out.
20210715_190954.jpg
It has been going so well that I am no longer happy with the size and room it has available. Now I knew this day would come when I started the low boy because I had originally wanted to go with a a 120g but the deal was too good to pass up at the time on the 65. So I had kind of planned for this back then. What I had not planned for is that this would be the final episode. Why the final? Because I am going as big as my current home will allow. Maybe too big but I have never heard anyone say that so we aren't either.
So this build will be known as the "TTAC" Build and it better be. We are going with a 180g folks. Now I know that's not big for some people but for me I think it is the best final outcome. I have ammased quite a few things that I will be repurposing and reusing for this build as well. Tank will be new and have decided to go with a mega matrix from Planet. ONLY REASON I am not going with glasscages is that I have a major PA distributor within 2hrs of my home vs the 8 hrs and 2 days it would take to pick up in TN. My time and mental well being is worth that compromise at least. It will be an external overflow because that is what I have always dreamed of having and I can make it work in my space.
Frame will be t-slot aluminium custom build from Alufab.
20210716_110637.jpg
That has already been ordered and I would recommend this company and Michael nimmo to ANYONE that is looking to go this route. He was amazing to work with and handled all my change requests without any issues, was quick to respond to all my emails and was way below others prices.
The "TTAC" tank will be occupying the same space albeit a larger one then the 65 so first thing first. Floor supports. This is more for my piece of mind vs any structural need. Over engineering and over thinking are my 2 middle names. Plus I have trust issues in general. Then we will need a temporary tank to cure the additional rock and hold the existing livestock when the time for transferring happens.
20210718_114951.jpg

Next step it to give the good old Visa a break for a few weeks and get things organized to see what more I may need.
For sure more rocks and sand and a powerhead or 2. Some more pvc for plumbing and a way to mount my lights.
So sit back relax and feel free to comment and provide feedback. I am not planning on this being a quick build because I really want to make sure that I do it right. Thanks all and enjoy your day:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good thing there is a "pre-production" phase. Were changing some things up folks. (As a woman I should have prefaced this whole build thread with a warning..."i will be changing my mind and often, don't judge me".) I will be going with Glasscages after all. I just got the warm fuzzy's from Silas over at their shop and he will be getting my business. Yes the shipping is expensive but they will bring it right to my house. Again even less stress and even better for my mental wellbeing. I will only have to worry about getting it off the truck and into the house. Fewest steps fewest opportunities for catastrophe. Lets hope it doesnt snow in the next 8-12 weeks or however long this is gonna take.
ps sorry not sorry visa card.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good thing there is a "pre-production" phase. Were changing some things up folks. (As a woman I should have prefaced this whole build thread with a warning..."i will be changing my mind and often, don't judge me".) I will be going with Glasscages after all. I just got the warm fuzzy's from Silas over at their shop and he will be getting my business. Yes the shipping is expensive but they will bring it right to my house. Again even less stress and even better for my mental wellbeing. I will only have to worry about getting it off the truck and into the house. Fewest steps fewest opportunities for catastrophe. Lets hope it doesnt snow in the next 8-12 weeks or however long this is gonna take.
ps sorry not sorry visa card.
So honored. Silas is an awesome guy. We all share the same servant heart. Let's make the journey fun, honest and transparent. Thanks for your support.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the saga begins. The stand and now the tank have been ordered. I have a feeling 5-8 weeks will be here before I know it.
I am beyond excited. The entire staff at GlassCages is top notch and I cant thank them all enough for everything they did to help me. Got my glue for the aquascape in the mail today so now I guess I have to order some more rock. I have quite a bit in the current tank and sump but wont be using it all in the new build because some has been over run with fast growing undesirables. I am looking at you spicy lemon favia. Yeah you and your little friend the mohawk zoa. Both of you are done for.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E9241B9E-36D1-4FD0-B649-31BD9165F467.jpeg

I was following your interesting story and enjoying it… Then you mentioned ‘Glass Cages right to your house’ and iced the cake!! (Shout out to Joe and the team.)

:)
Thanks so much @JumboShrimp. really appreciate the support. The team is killing it!!!!

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens when you get a bigger tank? Well you need more water of course. Scored these and a mars aqua light on fb for 70$.
20210806_171344.jpg

I already have 2 mars aqua over the current tank and needed a third to daisy chain. The guy had another one and I am tempted to go and snag it but told him if he couldn't sell it to let me know. Dont judge they grow corals just fine. The plumbing worked for him but I am going to have to do some cutting and pasting to make it work along with a few more random connections. And he threw in a Danner mag 18 for free. What? So now I have a back up for the original pump I was planning on using for the return? For free ?? Karma you are one sexy b**ch.
Now I just need to convince the better half to help me build the light hanging set up I want and we will be in business. Thanks @Susan Edwards for the inspiration and help.
Till next update reef on!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what a great build thread!!! Have lots of girlie moments. I'll join in as I wait for my tank lol's. And yes, that time will fly by. I'm looking at oct 6th and there is still so much to do, including new lights haha. I will be following! and nice decisions all around

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210809_185342.jpg

Dry fitted the new mixing station. I was also thinking that this would be a great time to look at setting up an automatic water change system for the new tank. So going to research what that will take this weekend. Right now it's pretty automated as is. Turn one pump on to pump water out of sump. Turn another LLP ump on to refill from mixing station. That's great for 10g water changes every week (or so) but this tank is bigger and will need (I think) a bit more turn over. Maybe not initially but eventually. Plan for the future not the present. On that note, plans to reinforce the floors are scheduled for the long labor day weekend. Also need to get rid of a couch and rearrange some furniture. Oh and I got the Visa bill. Poor thing.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Plan for the future, not the present.” Love it! (So are you planning to have Visa raise your credit limit?) Lol :)
They, visa, must be able to see the future. They upped the limit already and didn't even tell me!!!! Funny how that happens.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their Visa algorithm flagged you as ‘red hot’— another reefer hitting BRS like it’s a slot machine!
But they sent me COUPONS!!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My poor visa bill hugs your visa bill lol's. and yeah, got a couple limit raises lol's. Too late. Got most of my stuff hehe. Got all my main equipment this month so I can start planning control panels... Also setting up a saltwater mix station and an automatic water change. Not as far on the plumbing but I started making RO water this week! LFS sold me a pump for internal use and of course, I need external. Will exchange tomorrow and try to get this done this weekend. Then to figure out how to use the neptune fluid meter for the awc. Planning on 1-3 gal a day (won't need too much right away). Lots of fun watching someone else progressing

20210810_190617.jpg

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My poor visa bill hugs your visa bill lol's. and yeah, got a couple limit raises lol's. Too late. Got most of my stuff hehe. Got all my main equipment this month so I can start planning control panels... Also setting up a saltwater mix station and an automatic water change. Not as far on the plumbing but I started making RO water this week! LFS sold me a pump for internal use and of course, I need external. Will exchange tomorrow and try to get this done this weekend. Then to figure out how to use the neptune fluid meter for the awc. Planning on 1-3 gal a day (won't need too much right away). Lots of fun watching someone else progressing

20210810_190617.jpg
Yeah I have to find a way "other" then a neptune. It's a personal thing. I think I have come up with an idea using an old ato system and the current pump I use for water changes and a kasa power strip. Just need to test it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back