Third Tuxedo Urchin dead!

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, don't worry, this will be somewhat of a rant but a readable one at least.

This week I got extremely lucky, my LFS got Tuxedo Urchins in stock, red ones too. And they only get them about once a year as well, and since I have never ordered livestock online, this is the only place I can get my Tuxedo Urchins and the like from.
My first Urchin died in a tank crash months ago, my second one died only a month ago along with every other Urchin at my LFS, and I just got a Red Tuxedo Urchin. He was doing fine the second I put him in the tank after 1 1/2 hour acclimation, so it was more than enough especially since I dripped the dang thing. He was doing perfectly for 3 days until today when I got home from school, he was in the corner of the tank in a rock cave, not moving. I assumed that he was just being inactive, and as far as I knew he was in ***PERFECT HEALTH*** at the time, no spines dropping, stacking things on his top etc.

Then about an hour ago late at night I checked and he was in the same spot. He was being swarmed by fireworms, and fireworms in my tank only come out when there was food. I pull the urchin out from his spot and inspected him. He wasn't moving yet hadn't lost spines. I brushed my finger on him and spines came right off, and a thorough whiff smelled of death and ammonia so I immediately disposed of him before the ammonia would kill everything else in my tank.

At this point, I do not know what could possibly be causing my Urchins to just die. Should I get a pinchusion instead? Is it a virus or parasite that lives in my tank and persists even without Urchins? And I know my water is fine, I have plenty of corals in my tank and they are all doing perfectly. In fact my frogspawn is either spawning or healing rapidly, and he's doing very fine.

Parameters- Nitrite- 0, Ammonia- 0, Nitrate- 0+?, Calcium 450PPM, salinity 1.024(checked with calibrates hydrometer). No copper has entered the tank. Also, I use reef chrystals

Livestock- NPS Sponge, NPS Sea Fan Gorgonian, Diamond Goby, Frogspawn, Various Zoanthids, Xenia coral, lots of Macro algae, green star polyps, blastomussas.

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you supposed to remove fire worms and keep only the bristle?

OP
OP
ToadstoolCoral155

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you supposed to remove fire worms and keep only the bristle?
He stopped moving hours before the fireworms got to him. Also, it's an urchin, I don't think fireworms really...can kill an urchin on their own, I think. correct me if I' m wrong.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If you have fireworms, there is already an issue going on.
How are you acclimating urchins to the tank. Slow drip over 2 hrs recommended

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one off Live Aquaria and it has been going strong for months now. I honestly didn't drip it slowly, just added water to the bag with a small cup. I have found them to be pretty hardy when I had them in the past.

You said every other urchin at the LFS died, it sounds like a problem with the source??

OP
OP
ToadstoolCoral155

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction, they are Bristle worms.
And no, I said beforehand the LFS had urchins died including mine a month ago. Please read the whole post :(

M3rmaids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything ever happen? I just got two and three days later….. gone

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Anything ever happen? I just got two and three days later….. gone
A long acclimation very important including matching ph and salinity

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back