this community sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't get any attention then just start a thread about one of these questions:
1. Which salt mix is best
2. What light should I buy
3. Flame a retailer and claim they are the ones not being reasonable.
4. Start a thread called "unlimited budget monster build"
Is there a special badge if you do all four?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want forum pain? Work 12 hours straight on your new fish room, be really excited to post pictures on your build thread..and then crickets... not even a "neat".

Yep. It takes a long time to realize that build threads are really for your own benefit, nobody else really cares unless it's a god-tier tank.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want forum pain? Work 12 hours straight on your new fish room, be really excited to post pictures on your build thread..and then crickets... not even a "neat".

Yup. Meanwhile the top few dozen most frequent threads on the front page, with thousands of responses, only occasionally even involve a tank :confused:.

It would be nice TBH if people participated more than in their favorite few threads. So many tank builds and thread end up being given up on, when the OP realizes that it will not really be viewed by anyone.

I wonder how this could be helped. Maybe a “thread diversity” award of the week, for people who are participating in a broad range of forums and/or actual threads? @revhtree

Houstoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. It takes a long time to realize that build threads are really for your own benefit, nobody else really cares unless it's a god-tier tank.
I disagree, I learned from many tanks that didn't have alot of replies years after their were written. Even though I never commented I still found the information helpful and more than once I would implement their best ideas on my own tanks. I think you should start threads for the community to learn, not just for a few likes.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Meanwhile the top few dozen most frequent threads on the front page, with thousands of responses, only occasionally even involve a tank :confused:.

It would be nice TBH if people participated more than in their favorite few threads. So many tank builds and thread end up being given up on, when the OP realizes that it will not really be viewed by anyone.

Yeah, I am starting to suffer forum fatigue. I find it odd that there are lots of complaints about aquariums costing a fortune or that people focus to much on the shiny toys, but if you start a build thread that shows you absolutely don't need some of the expensive stuff, it is a snooze fest. Whatever, different strokes different folks. I see people wetting themselves over radions but I have a return pump that looks like it belongs in sea world and that suits me just fine. :) I might get a reeflo hammerhead tattoo.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe so with that sweet hospitality award you got there.
Badges I don’t need no stinking badges,,do you want attention,,look in the mirror talk to yourself. Just playing brother-Welcome aboard!!! suck up all the attention you can get;;because in the real world nobody cares

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Badges I don’t need no stinking badges,,do you want attention,,look in the mirror talk to yourself. Just playing brother-Welcome aboard!!! suck up all the attention you can get;;because in the real world nobody cares
That’s y I like this world, nothing better for your soul than the ocean

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome to Reef2Reef @ghartman1234 sorry you got overlooked in the shuffle! Don’t take any of us too seriously, we don’t! ;)

Hopefully your experience will be better if you continue to give us all a chance! There’s lots of us here who half of our enjoyment of the hobby is helping others succeed when they are struggling, sometimes finding someone’s tank thread who‘s tank and outlook on reef keeping ”clicks” with you and then befriending them, and asking them questions can be beneficial. It’s also much easier than sorting through thousands of responses that are likely all going to be different.

You can always click on people’s “build thread contributor” badge under their name and it will take you to their build thread. It’s a good way to find people with similar interests and outlooks as you might have. Best of luck to you, and be well in this troubling time!

Last edited:

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree, I learned from many tanks that didn't have alot of replies years after their were written. Even though I never commented I still found the information helpful and more than once I would implement their best ideas on my own tanks. I think you should start threads for the community to learn, not just for a few likes.
You know how you probably would have learned even more from those threads? Commenting on them. It's not about likes, it's about interaction. Actually the main guy that posted on my build thread gave me some super useful tips.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been here a while and I can’t say I’ve ever browsed the “welcome new members” section....if there even is one. I don’t mean to be rude. But if there’s a question. Search for it. If your research leaves you wanting, consider a different way of asking it. And just ask. If you get no replies. Try it in a different sub forum. The “general” and “new hobbyist” sections get turned over too fast. Your thread will get buried in the 2nd or 3rd page sometimes in a matter of hours

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xmas R2R.png

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like all things in life you get what you give.
In today’s world people expect instant answers for what ever problems they have.
Answers are not simple sometimes. Everyone here works at helping new hobbyist and you may get a answer you may not like but everyone is sharing their experiences. I have been on Internet forums for 35 years. Yes there was an internet back then. As a new hobbyist the most important thing is to read a forums daily. Go they each sub forum you are interested in currently and read each thread. There are tons of threads and in most cases someone has already answered the question you want to ask. If you don’t understand the answer ask. We are always monitoring threads on each sub forum every minute.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having joined lots of forums for things from mini coopers to plumbing. The more members the better.

You do need to take a peek at the rules if you're new to forums and di you BEST to post in the correct forum. Many users, like myself, generally only browse specific subforums.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@ghartman1234 can also just pop in on a thread anywhere,talk to people ,meet people does not matter where in this world they are ,put yourself out here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back