This girl’s 310g peninsula dream tank with fish room!

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some photos of a few pretty things ...

IMG_1236.png
IMG_1449.png
IMG_5049.png
IMG_7327.png

2015GaTor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I don’t judge, I have just been burned like you once as well when I was starting up about 5 years ago. It was horrible to see all my fish die over the course of a week. If you have had the tank fallow just keep it that way for 78 days then the ich and velvet will be gone (most likely) especially if you run the UV which will kill the free swimming parasites. It is sooooo hard to wait I know I’ve done the same and it sucks. On the cheap You can pick up a 40g used or from petco when they run the sale $1g I think the 40g is included or 50% off. Then QT....I just watch and make sure they are eating good for about a week then I run prazipro two rounds and cupramine for two weeks. I’ve had a few fish not make it but most have but sucks since it is stressful on them but better one fish not make it than it infecting them all. Also, make a list of all the fish you want and put them in the tank in order of least aggressive to most aggressive so the aggressive ones don’t kill every new fish you put in the tank. I love your tank. I almost got the 310 too but opted for the 240. Good luck you guys have done awesome with the build!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,was looking for you ,couple days ago :rolleyes: ,happy b'day,nice to see things coming back to normal:)caught up ..i'm back;)

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! And beautiful tank! Glad to see things are getting better, and good luck going forward. I am expecting my first tank's arrival in a couple weeks and got a lot of great ideas - especially regarding live rock - that I will be using in my build.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! And beautiful tank! Glad to see things are getting better, and good luck going forward. I am expecting my first tank's arrival in a couple weeks and got a lot of great ideas - especially regarding live rock - that I will be using in my build.
Thank you so much for the kind words! Lots of luck on your new build!
I love this.
Me too! its probably my favorite thing about my build. I used to hate having to fill up the top off, especially when I would notice right before bed that it was about to run dry. Now it's a breeze. That plus auto water changes is a game changer. My 300 gallon tank takes so much less time to maintain than my 75 gallon tank did.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I too lost a 12 year build to velvet. All my fish died within 24hr. The last addition was a powder blue and she was in there months until the velvet struck. I never qt in my life so unfortunately I could not rescue any once I noticed a problem. I now have a 20g qt tank in the basement. Over the past few months I have gotten all my new fish and the last batch finished qt yesterday. Ill write my findings and procedure down at the bottom in case you are interested. Ill be darned if my 12yr setup caught its first case of dinos last week. It lay dormant for 12yr! I have a UV on order and it will run 24x7. I now have a flow meter on the return and during lights off I will slow it down to kill all the yuckies that make it past the UV when she's wide open. Maybe look into this for your setup. You were smart to run a UV just for precautionary measures. You did your research and you and hubby have a beautiful build. Congrats! May it flourish for decades!

QT Procedure:
I spent a month researching and found that the latest meta was 2 weeks in copper and 2 weeks in a non-copper tank. I didnt have the money or space for 2 QT so I used the old meta of 2 weeks copper, suck out the copper and wait 2 weeks. I lost half my fish into the 3rd week. This is the exact reason why the masters on this forum went to a 2 tank qt procedure recommendation as they too were losing fish at this time. I was still not going to spend money on a second tank so my last 2 batches I pulled them after 18 days of copper and they went straight into main display. I know this is rolling the dice but you have a little to no chance of velvet hanging out on the bottom of a bare tank. All my fish have been happy and out playing with their new friends within a 24hr period.

My Procedure:
I would add the fish at a 1.0ppm copper tank. In 12hr I brought it to 1.5ish. At 24hr mark I brought it to 2.0-2.25ppm. 25% WATER CHANGE EVERY 5 DAYS!!!! Even if the water looks clear please do yourself a favor and do this. During a water change DO NOT LET WATER GO UNDER 2.0ppm copper. Mix your copper into the fresh water you are about to pour into the tank after the water change. For a 20gal tank this is easy math:
2.0ppm=28-32ml Copper power (I found that each bottle is slightly different)
25% water change of a 20gal tank is roughly 8ml copper power which of course is a 5gal bucket.
Make sure you check your copper with a hanna after all water changes to be sure you are over 2.0ppm and under 2.25ppm.

Addendum:
I noticed wrasses are the most prone to dying from copper exposure so if I decide to get another wrasse I will spend 4 days getting to 2.0ppm and add him at 0ppm copper. My fairy died on day 3 as I think he couldn't handle such fast increments of CU.

IMO a 20gal qt tank is all you need as long as you aren't adding 6" fish. I would have up to 5 fish under 3 inches at each interval. Anything larger that 20gal gets to be real expensive considering salt for water changes. If you have a monster tank you feel you have the need for a hospital tank obviously 20gal isn't going to cut it. There is very few circumstances that 20gal will be insufficient if you are just going to quarantine new purchases.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too lost a 12 year build to velvet. All my fish died within 24hr. The last addition was a powder blue and she was in there months until the velvet struck. I never qt in my life so unfortunately I could not rescue any once I noticed a problem. I now have a 20g qt tank in the basement. Over the past few months I have gotten all my new fish and the last batch finished qt yesterday. Ill write my findings and procedure down at the bottom in case you are interested. Ill be darned if my 12yr setup caught its first case of dinos last week. It lay dormant for 12yr! I have a UV on order and it will run 24x7. I now have a flow meter on the return and during lights off I will slow it down to kill all the yuckies that make it past the UV when she's wide open. Maybe look into this for your setup. You were smart to run a UV just for precautionary measures. You did your research and you and hubby have a beautiful build. Congrats! May it flourish for decades!

QT Procedure:
I spent a month researching and found that the latest meta was 2 weeks in copper and 2 weeks in a non-copper tank. I didnt have the money or space for 2 QT so I used the old meta of 2 weeks copper, suck out the copper and wait 2 weeks. I lost half my fish into the 3rd week. This is the exact reason why the masters on this forum went to a 2 tank qt procedure recommendation as they too were losing fish at this time. I was still not going to spend money on a second tank so my last 2 batches I pulled them after 18 days of copper and they went straight into main display. I know this is rolling the dice but you have a little to no chance of velvet hanging out on the bottom of a bare tank. All my fish have been happy and out playing with their new friends within a 24hr period.

My Procedure:
I would add the fish at a 1.0ppm copper tank. In 12hr I brought it to 1.5ish. At 24hr mark I brought it to 2.0-2.25ppm. 25% WATER CHANGE EVERY 5 DAYS!!!! Even if the water looks clear please do yourself a favor and do this. During a water change DO NOT LET WATER GO UNDER 2.0ppm copper. Mix your copper into the fresh water you are about to pour into the tank after the water change. For a 20gal tank this is easy math:
2.0ppm=28-32ml Copper power (I found that each bottle is slightly different)
25% water change of a 20gal tank is roughly 8ml copper power which of course is a 5gal bucket.
Make sure you check your copper with a hanna after all water changes to be sure you are over 2.0ppm and under 2.25ppm.

Addendum:
I noticed wrasses are the most prone to dying from copper exposure so if I decide to get another wrasse I will spend 4 days getting to 2.0ppm and add him at 0ppm copper. My fairy died on day 3 as I think he couldn't handle such fast increments of CU.

IMO a 20gal qt tank is all you need as long as you aren't adding 6" fish. I would have up to 5 fish under 3 inches at each interval. Anything larger that 20gal gets to be real expensive considering salt for water changes. If you have a monster tank you feel you have the need for a hospital tank obviously 20gal isn't going to cut it. There is very few circumstances that 20gal will be insufficient if you are just going to quarantine new purchases.
Oh my gosh, I don't know how I missed your post. Thanks so much for all the info though. Velvet is the worst!

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
November 2020 Update:

Current fish list: Hippo Tang, Whitetail Bristletooth Tang, Starry Blenny, Flame Angel, 3 Lyretail Anthias, Striped Blenny, Midas Blenny, Juvie Emporer Angel, Bella Goby, Desjardini Sailfin Tang, Storm Clown, Picaso Clown, Melanarus Wrasse

My alk consumption has increased to 100ml/night and has been extremely stable for the last month. That means SPS is growing! Woohoo! I've never been to this point before! I'm still dosing manually, but am planning on getting another DOS for black friday to use for 2part.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow..looks great,glad to see you back in the saddle :) :cool:
ps:you're going to love the white tail;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back