This girl’s 310g peninsula dream tank with fish room!

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @LovesDogs_CatsRokay
How’s it going over there? Hoping for a good news update!
Meh, we got all the fish out but only one survivor, a coral beauty that we’ve had for a couple years. The rest died in QT. Currently just waiting for the fallow period to count down. Sept 17 we can add fish. We’re going to get a couple small ones next week to put in QT with the coral beauty. I don’t think she likes being alone. We’ve gotten a bunch a new coral and some cool inverts too. I need to take some pics of them.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hubby and son finished plumbing our water mixing station to our ATO container. Here’s a quick video of how it works. It’s pretty cool, it along with the DOS for auto water changes means no more hauling buckets!

HAHA very cool!

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up 3 new anthias today. The LFS didn’t know what kind they are, but I’m pretty sure they are bimacs. Got a pretty good deal on them to too, $30 a piece. I’ll be doing hybrid TTM on them.

F031994D-9206-454C-8CFD-411093F7FD10.jpeg
3C470AC2-54DA-438D-BBF6-8363B85E494F.jpeg

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3 new anthias made it through hybrid TTM with no problems and have joined my coral beauty in the holding tank. I placed an order with divers den for a blue tang and a starry blenny. I miss my starry blenny the mosy of all. The new guys will also be going through hybrid TTM, and when they are finished the 6 week fallow period will be over and everyone can go in the DT! I needed a fish that poops a lot to help my starving corals. I’ve been dosing the tank with 150ml of reef energy ab+ and a teaspoon of benepets everyday and still don’t have any phosphates built up. I turned off the skimmer a few days ago, maybe that has helped. I guess I need to retest.

We’ve also gotten back to working on the stand and canopy and have started putting on the decorative finishing trim. So hopefully there will be pics of a finished build coming soon!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks, in about 10 years of reefing I have never had an anthia(s), I love how they look but they always strike me as delicate.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning to find my coral beauty dead in the holding tank. She was the only survivor from the velvet outbreak and was set to go back in the DT on Thursday. I have no idea what happened. Was there some toxin in the holding tank that killed the anthias, and she was just less sensitive so it took longer? Were the deaths unrelated, and just stress of being the only fish in the tank too much was too much for her? This is so frustrating, and the exact reason I stopped QT'ing fish in the first place. Unexplained, mystery deaths. Fine one day, dead the next. That never happened when fish would go straight to the DT. If they died, there was always a known reason. Not looking forward to QT'ing more fish. If every other one dies, it is really worth it? I sometimes wonder if we would have been better off leaving everyone in the DT and seeing who was strong enough to beat velvet.

On a good note, the blue tang and starry blenny from diver's den are doing well (for the moment, anyway). They even seem to be BFFs and sleep in the same piece of PVC. When they are finished with their round of hybrid TTM they will go into the DT, and our fallow period will be over. I really hope they make it that long.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think qt is worth it. Puts a lot of stress on the fish.

I think the way is to add directly to dt, feed very well. And really space out your additions and don't add a bunch of fish at the same time.

Some people like to qt 5-10 fish at a time and that's just a different path than I want to take.

I add one to three fish at a time (single, pair, or trio being the reasoning).

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think qt is worth it. Puts a lot of stress on the fish.

I think the way is to add directly to dt, feed very well. And really space out your additions and don't add a bunch of fish at the same time.

Some people like to qt 5-10 fish at a time and that's just a different path than I want to take.

I add one to three fish at a time (single, pair, or trio being the reasoning).
That was my philosophy as well until i had the velvet outbreak. I think I got excited about having the huge tank and added too many too fast. Then when velvet happened everyone says the only thing you can do is go fallow. Well the majority of my fish seemed to be handling it okay, but I removed them anyway since that’s what all the velvet threads say to do. They didn’t die until I moved them, and then they all did. I wish I hadn’t moved them knowing now they would die anyway. If I continue to have such bad luck with QT I will probably stop again. A 30 min h2o2 bath should be enough to kill most velvet on a fish. Maybe just a h2o2 bath then straight into the DT with the uv sterilizer will be enough.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
try to find your fish from local reefers,established tanks,craigslist etc,always best bet,i have bought complete set up just for the white tail bristletooth tang that was in it ,kept what i wanted ,sold off the rest :)

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a growing supply of pre-quarantined fish that are prophylactically treated. The prices I’m paying/seeing are quite comparable to DD. That peace of mind without having to QT at home is well worth it to me!
Thanks, and I know. I've thought about it, and may end up going that route too, but I'm don't really care for copper treatment and the onslaught of other meds they give prophylactically treated fish. I feel like it destroys their immune system and that if something does get it in the tank by way of coral or other accidental transmission that they're doomed at that point. Hybrid TTM seems the least damaging and that's why I chose it. I wish there were pre-quarantined fish suppliers that let you choose your QT method.

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and I know. I've thought about it, and may end up going that route too, but I'm don't really care for copper treatment and the onslaught of other meds they give prophylactically treated fish. I feel like it destroys their immune system and that if something does get it in the tank by way of coral or other accidental transmission that they're doomed at that point. Hybrid TTM seems the least damaging and that's why I chose it. I wish there were pre-quarantined fish suppliers that let you choose your QT method.
Ah, totally understand!

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup qt or not to qt is usually the main question here in this hobby.

I do my best to create a good living space for the fish and take whatever actions I can to bolster their immune system.

Yes I have seen a few spots on my YWG after I moved him and two clowns from 10g to 40g. It was a stressful event so I was expecting to see something. Skip to today and all my fish spent about 10 days in a 5g bucket (not each fish in the same bucket) and no signs of disease popped up once the dt was ready for them again.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back