This girl’s 310g peninsula dream tank with fish room!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you mind if i call in dr.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Big G poss shed some expert advice here,thanks

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, man. So sorry for your losses. But that looks like velvet. The spots are very small and numerous. It's not unusual for the fish to die rapidly but some still seem unaffected by the parasites. It attacks deep within the gills first. Often way before we see the tell tale white spots, which are "after" the parasites have dropped off the fish to start the cycle again. In fact, some times the fish will perish without ever "presenting" white spots as the gills were overcome and the fish asphyxiates.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
at this point i do not know how to treat velvet in full blown reef,hopefully research,and others will chime in with ideas!!
best wishes ,still following along ;)

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that really blows. It must have started as ich and then came the velvet when I added a trio of anthias from divers den 12 days ago. The first spots showed up a month ago so I don’t think it could have been velvet this whole time. Not sure if I’m allowed to post other forums but this is the plan I was trying to follow with the peroxide. https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/peroxide-h2o2-dosing-for-parasites-in-reef-tank.725/

I don’t know what I’m going to do now. Catching the fish still seems impossible. Especially since it seems the fact that’s there’s a good chance it’s too late and they’ll die anyway.

Do I keep dosing peroxide and be able to offer more research to the thread above? Does that mean I’ll never be able to add new fish? Because that would be awful.

The UV arrived a daily early and holy cow is this thing big! It’s almost four feet long. Even with my big sump room I’m not sure where the dang thing is going to it.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
at this point i would continue what you are doing,why stop now,unless someone has more expert advice and willing to work with you on this ;) of course check flow rate on uv ,go with bottom number,slower the better,jmo:)

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to mention that you can rent a trap from seascape if you decide to go that route. It’s $60 and you get a full refund when you bring it back. Good luck, I hope you’re able to figure out something.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost 8 fish yesterday :mad: I'm not sure what happened, they just started dropping like flies. I'm starting to wonder if its not just ich, but also velvet. The spots are quite numerous, and it would explain the numerous quick deaths. But if velvet, how is any one alive still? We have a few fish that are visibly infected, but still eating. And we have a number of fish that don't have any visible signs of infection. No spots, no lethargy, no swimming into powerheads, no scratching. If it is velvet, is it possible to leave some fish untouched? The untouchables include a tiger goby, a pink spotted goby, an ornate leopard wrasse, a melanaurus wrasse, a dart fish, and a coral beauty. We were able to pull out 3 fish to try and save them, but it didn't help, they succumbed pretty quickly after that.

I feel bad for all the people reading this build thread, who as they go along, are like "this is so cool!" then they get to the end and it's all off a sudden, "this sucks, all the fish died" like a bad ending to a good movie. Thanks for reading if you're still here.
I hope you can recover! I might have missed it, do you have a QT process in place for all new comers?

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that really blows. It must have started as ich and then came the velvet when I added a trio of anthias from divers den 12 days ago. The first spots showed up a month ago so I don’t think it could have been velvet this whole time.

I read that live aquaria was bought out by petco (petsmart?)
I knew from reading that, I would never purchase divers den, no matter how wonderful the fish look. I had a tank that went upside down from petco fish. In these instances it sucks because we kind of get comfortable. We think that buying fish and never QT'ng is eventually okay... then this happens. When I had my 29g years ago, I was so upset that I never wanted to have a home tank again, especially because a coworker gave me his maroon clowns and though I would be responsible enough to care for them.

I'm so sorry your babies have gone to the big fish bowl in the sky. But dont forget that we are all here for you, like said above, this is not the end-just the middle. This is the juicy part of the story. You have a struggle, now we get to watch the glow up (and be by your side).

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new deaths in the last 24 hours. Everyone seems to be hanging on. We're going to try and see if we can catch anyone tonight, give them H2O2 baths, and put them in QT. I don't have high hopes on catching the wrasses though. We rented a trap when we first transferred into this tank and they were too smart and stayed away from it. Not sure what to do if we can't catch them.

We stopped QT'ing a while back because we had many more deaths in QT than when not QT'ing, and didn't like the stress we were putting on the fish. Ich doesn't worry me, but we've got to do something about the velvet I guess. I really dislike using copper, but might do Hybrid TTM when the time comes for restocking. I won't QT coral though, we lost way too much of it trying to before, I can barely keep coral alive in the DT, let alone a sterile QT. Hopefully, the UV sterilizer will be enough in the future to protect against any transmission via coral or inverts.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just rereading the sticky post on velvet, and noticed it said that swimming in the powerhead is unique to velvet. I didn't realize that before, I thought ich could cause it also. I wish I had known because that would have given me a velvet identification sooner. Both my powder brown tang and sailfin tang were doing that. ;Facepalm

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were able to catch the sailfin tang and 2 clowns the night before last. Gave them a 30 minute H2O2 bath and put them in a holding tank. They're still alive, so hopefully they'll make it. Everyone else in the DT is still alive too somehow, we're going to pick up a trap from the LFS and see if we can catch anyone else.

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were able to catch the sailfin tang and 2 clowns the night before last. Gave them a 30 minute H2O2 bath and put them in a holding tank. They're still alive, so hopefully they'll make it. Everyone else in the DT is still alive too somehow, we're going to pick up a trap from the LFS and see if we can catch anyone else.
Good to hear! Best of luck with the trap. Be patient. I'd put it in there for at least a day or so before you actually try to catch anything with it.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to catch a cleaner wrasse, exquisite wrasse, and dart fish last night. Still have quite a few to go. I'm astonished they're still alive.

On a happy note, made some progress on the actual build. We hooked up the DOS for auto water changes. It is sooooo awesome every time I heard the pumps running and knowing its doing all the work so I don't have to. I love it! Currently have it changing 2 gallons a day.

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s happening!!

Hubby said we can get the 310g peninsula tank from Planet Aquariums that we’ve been eyeing for a while! We put the order in at our LFS this past weekend. Tank should arrive in about 3-4 weeks I think. There’s so much to do before then! We decided to build our own stand and canopy to give it a more built-in look. The sump will be behind the wall in the unfinished part of the basement, so we’ve got some work to do there to turn it into a proper fish room!

This is going to be a pretty slow build. We’re going on vacation in July and want to wait until after we’re back to get it up and running. One less thing to worry about that way. So we’ll be taking our time gathering equipment and getting the fish room ready.

I haven’t fully decided on the entire equipment list yet, but I think we’ll be doing live rock from KP Aquatics, T5/LED hybrid lights, and probably a custom sump from a guy that works with our LFS. The plan is lots of fish with a mixed reef. We'll be combining our current 75g and 32g tanks into this one, plus adding some more tangs and a large angel. Tank dimensions are 96.5 x 30.5 x 25.

Pictures to get everyone excited!

Tank will go in this room behind the couch.
20200305_093159 (1).jpg

Here are the plans for the framing of the stand and canopy. The living room on the floor above is sunken-in, so the ceiling here is a bit jenky. The stand is based on @RocketEngineer's design.
fish_tank_frames.png

And here's the rendering of the final product. The sides of the canopy will lift up in 3 sections to give us full access to the tank.
fish_tank_L.png

I'm so excited, this is going to be amazing! Stay tuned to watch our progress building everything over the next few weeks!
What program did you use to make your sketches? I would like to do the same. I am currently starting my upgrade also. Just ordered a planet aquariums tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back