This hobby is getting out of control with costs

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I figure there's options for all budgets. I started my first tank with used equipment and paid very little. Ultimately, I don't get too upset over prices of equipment or livestock since there are options all across the spectrum AND because this isn't a life necessity. It's a luxury (as are all hobbies). So I figure if I can afford it, great. If not, I'll have to find something in my budget or save my pennies until I can buy whatever it is that I have my eyes on.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that things are super expensive, but man....I love my uber controllable LEDs, randomized wave makers, controllable return pump and my little dosing system. The new tech is awesome. All that being said, after some time off from having a reef at home while maintaining aquariums at the highschool I work at, I went for a 30 gallon to keep cost under control.

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With inflation, $340 in 2003 is ~$550 now. In addition to this, the middle class has shrunk. The percentage of the population that can afford a reef tank, even without extra price gouging, is smaller than it used to be. However, the wealthy are generally more wealthy than they used to be. For reef equipment companies, the logical way to keep from going under is to target the wealthy with more expensive, super-premium equipment. They might sell fewer units but increasing the prices offsets this.

An $800 wavemaker probably isn't 10 times better than an $80 wavemaker. However, it just needs to be a little bit better if the target consumer considers the price difference to be pocket change.

The price changes are going to be most painful for those on fixed income who have been in the hobby for a long time (e.g. old guys).

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well between supply chain issues, COVID, inflation, and I'm sure a whole host of other issues everything has gotten more expensive

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its bad enough we have reached the age of $800-$1200 lights, Ive seeing test equipment approaching the $200 mark, 110 gallon Tanks for $4000-5000 and now another skimmer released by Adaptive reef starting at $769.00 !!!
Add the cost of fish and coral which is out of control and it questions Who can afford this and impact on a new hobbyist that wants a reef tank

I totally agree. I've tried to manage my expectations and costs in the hobby by using DIY opportunities for things like tank stands, sumps, screens for the top, collecting "live" rock off the beach, plumbing. I've also searched for lower cost equipment with mixed success.

I know I've made a few purchases that were perhaps unwise. Yes I bought a Reef Octopus skimmer that works, but I still question is it really needed. When a top of the line skimmer now costs over $800 for basically some molded polystyrene plastic and an air pump while a top of the line 60" HD TV goes for much less, One has to question are we all insane.
I just got into the hobby so the current prices is all I know, but yes I agree. I literally will end up going broke lol. It’s worth it though, it makes me happy :)
This is a big part of the problem. New entries into the hobby over the past 20 years have a terrible point of reference.They don't realize the cost/value equation. They accept the price as "it is what it is". While I can't fault the vendors for taking advantage of free enterprise, those of us who recognize the insanity are at a distinct disadvantage. In many instances, we are faced with a decision to either pay the price or to leave the hobby.

The sheer cost of the tank, as you stated is incredible. Two years ago, I opted for a new125 gallon Aqueon tank for about $600. I thought that was expensive, but compared to the rimless, rounded corners, molded acrylic tank prices, mine was a bargain.

Today, coral vendors advertise bargains, 50% off zoas, 2 polyps, only $50. And apparently many someones buy them.

I could go on and on of course. I just don't see the end of the tunnel.

Oh, as another said, the cost differential between fresh and salt is incredible. Yes, salt is more complex and that complexity comes with a price. My 90 gallon african cichlid tank is humming along with crystal clear water, healthy fish, and virtually no maintenance. I don't regret getting back into salt a couple of years ago, but the costs continue to be eye popping.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With inflation, $340 in 2003 is ~$550 now. In addition to this, the middle class has shrunk. The percentage of the population that can afford a reef tank, even without extra price gouging, is smaller than it used to be. However, the wealthy are generally more wealthy than they used to be. For reef equipment companies, the logical way to keep from going under is to target the wealthy with more expensive, super-premium equipment. They might sell fewer units but increasing the prices offsets this.

An $800 wavemaker probably isn't 10 times better than an $80 wavemaker. However, it just needs to be a little bit better if the target consumer considers the price difference to be pocket change.

The price changes are going to be most painful for those on fixed income who have been in the hobby for a long time (e.g. old guys).
Same concept on video gaming now and in most of life. Targeting the whales and forget about the rest.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must not go shooting much.
I'm not the typical big on semi auto handgun caliber guy. More bolt/level action rifles and wheel guns. I'm also in a state to shoot what I like, I need to drive a few hundred miles to property that's family owned to make things go bang bang. Otherwise, I'm limited to indoor shooting ranges where you are buying target ammo (which I hate) and limited to certain calibers of handguns. I also do my own reloads, thus the cost isn't as extreme for certain calibers that I tend to enjoy.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly why I love my 20-30 year old stuff that "just works".

I did move to an apex environment a while back and that hurt a bit. Mainly just for montioring, as I travel a lot, but dang.
Love your reply, I currently have two 32 year old power heads and two $20 power heads in my tank lol

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your reply, I currently have two 32 year old power heads and two $20 power heads in my tank lol
I am not saying I don’t have new stuff though. I have an icecap algae scrubber to grow fish food now, but it was one the lfs got that the case got broke in shipping. Some weld on and all good. Also have a few other things like newer gyres, but got them on sale and just wanted them lol. My choose and cheaper than the Red Sea for example and no issues after a year at almost 100% forward and reverse.

One can be thrifty in this hobby and do ok. Also, buying broken stuff and meshing it together is a good way to save some cash. Just got to know a little and be patient to learn when fixing.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I totally agree. I bout some MP10 and MP40 in 2020 I think it was $260 for the MP10 and the MP40's where $360
What justifies the $100 price increase in 2 years.
I wont buy them again because ecotech is just greedy now.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Instagram and the people that want the fanciest stuff owns a lot of the blame. Also there are a lot of people that go with the "if you get the best it will lost longer" or "Save you money in the long run" and while some of that is true I think we take it to an extreme.

I would argue that a to me reasonably prices Sicce Xstream with a 5 year warranty is as good as gold and probably last longer than most competitors regardless of price.

We as reefers need to focus more on what we truly need then what we might need. The more we keep buying stuff to replace stuff we already have that may just work marginally better the more stuff they will sell. Reefing should not be a hobby just for people that have money to waste.

Amphibious Wallet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any room in that wrinkly-dragons hoard of old-magic goods for charity? Heh.
MP60's are about $1500 in NZ, if they're in stock. I don't think I will ever justify that price, not unless I become a CEO.

I don't mind spending extra for quality if I know for sure it's going to last me - been using the same PC watercooling pump since 2004 that shows no signs of wear and has outlasted just about anything I own. I've even got 3 backups of the same model that will likely never see use.
Everything in my car can be changed out with a socket set and hammer. No need for diagnostics.
The only special tool I need for my motorbikes is an inch-pound torque wrench. Also heli-coils.

Everything is expensive and nothing lasts anymore, rabble rabble rabble!
/rabble

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only does the "big" stuff cost but the upkeep is easily a couple hundred a month on a decent sized system. I'm not even factoring in the $40-$50 a month for electricity. Livestock isn't that big of a deal if you don't lose fish. . Theres no getting around adding nutrients back into your system either by dosing or water changes but almost always both. There's always a need to purchase something for my tanks. The upkeep is often overlooked especially for someone just getting into the hobby. Once you spend 5k on a setup theres another 2k a year on upkeep.

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you really feel like the upgrade from black boxes was worth it? I’m in a similar position and I just can’t find it worth it yet.
I personally do. I bought a reefbreeders photon. Not top of the line but definitely an upgrade. The other ones I was recommended to get were the hydra 32s . The new lights definitely bring out colors in my colors the black boxes couldn’t with just white and blue

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one is making you buy expensive equipment. My skimmer was less than $300. My controller was $200. My flow pumps were $200 each. This really sounds like non issue and pointless thread.

Back