This is Chaeto and...?

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I harvested the algae below from my sump and was surprised to see that there was something other than the chaeto. The non-chaeto algae is much denser, heavier and mat-like. I've delayed harvesting for about 8 weeks and noticed that I have some GHA taking a foothold in the display. I'm thinking that this is also what's grown in the sump but it's hard to visualize GHA out of the water. Any thoughts about what I have here?

chaeto.jpg

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both chaeto. I’ve heard there are differnent types, but I believe they take on different form depending on light given and nutrients available. The one on the right stays low in the refugium, the one on the left floats.

OP
OP
J

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for your thoughts. It certainly was tied to the orientation. The brillo-looking chaeto was low in the water and the thicker mat was on top. I don't have any tumble in that sump chamber which I should probably correct....I should probably clean my sump more often too :)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
They are both chaeto. I’ve heard there are differnent types, but I believe they take on different form depending on light given and nutrients available. The one on the right stays low in the refugium, the one on the left floats.
i believe there are two chaeto species. the bottom(thinner) could very well be the other “strain”/species of chaeto.

i have no experience with what both look side by side. my chaeto looks like the top.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 60 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 44 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 72 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back