This is my first post and first tank

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dabbled with freshwater tanks for some time. Mostly when I was a kid and didn't know anything about parameters and proper filtration and water changes and pretty much everything one needs to know about the hobby. I got back into the habit a couple of years ago and got a 46g bowfront and turned it into a thriving freshwater peaceful community tank. This led to multi-tank syndrome and I purchased another 36g bow front and just kept one big happy jack Dempsey fish in there and hand fed him shrimp daily. I had a job relocation and couldn't take my fish with me without fear of them all dying in the whole process so my tanks sat in a spare room empty for months. I would have had them set up a long time ago but I decided to go with a reef tank and had to start over again. I purchased a new Current usa orbit marine led fixture. That thing rocks by the way. I also have an eshoppes psk100 hang on back protein skimmer rated for a 100 gallon tank. I also have an aquatop cf400uv canister filter with a built in uv sterilizer. In the canister filter I have nothing but pieces of foam and 2 carbon packs. I didn't use any of the bio balls that came with the filter as I read they produce a ton of nitrates. I also have 80 pounds of live sand so it's pretty deep as well as 45 pounds of live rock. I noticed after adding my live rock that I had a very sudden diatom bloom and almost everything turned a deep brown and it was nasty. I returned home from a long weekend away and I almost couldn't see through the glass. This diatom bloom has almost all but disappeared. There is still a little brown on my sand and on some rocks but it's definitely going away. I have also noticed quote a few hitchhikers from my live rocks as well. I have probably at least 10 asterina starfish and at least 3 stomatella snails. I've reads that these are quite welcomed hitchhikers that are very beneficial to a tank. I was looking in the tank last night with just the blue lights on and also noticed an amazing amount of these little shrimp looking creatures darting around the rocks. Anyway I am rambling but I just wanted to get any pointers or tips and even welcome the haters to comment on what I've said and I'll add a pic of my current tank to see what you guys think. I am about to purchase a liquid test kit today to stay on top of my parameters and I also know it will still be a while before I buy my first fish. Let me know what you think! And also let me know what I have to look forward to good or bad!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 253

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome :wave:

The first 4 months is hard and ugly. It's the rare tank that does not go through the uglies for 3 months at least! Great start.

OP
OP
Bensadork

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in your opinion, how long do you think I should wait before I add some cleanup crew critters? And which ones are good to start? I'm thinking of getting a couple of emerald crabs unless someone here tells me why I should not do that. Even then, it will be at least a couple of weeks before I do that so I can make sure all of my parameters are good.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start small, a few smaller hermit types and two three snails. Personally I like Cerith and Astrea snails. Check water chemistry including SG, as long as it's all good you can add a few members of your CUC.

OP
OP
Bensadork

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost afraid to get the larger turbo snails because I read that they can topple your live rock and some of the rocks at the top of my pile, although fairly sturdy, seem like they could potentially be knocked over by the snail. I would hate to wake up in the middle of the night with 50 gallons of water on my floor and a room full of dead fish.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 211

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the community!!!!

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Your off to a good start. Like Tahoe61 above, I like Astraea snails. Turbo snails are big, clumsy, and sometimes fall off the glass onto their back. If nothing is near them to grab onto I've seen them get stuck this way, although some types Astraea snails have this issue as well.

OP
OP
Bensadork

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly appreciate all the warm greetings from everyone. I was on a different fish forum when I had my freshwater systems up and running and the advice I got from there was invaluable. I can only imagine this site is going to further my knowledge and interest in reef tanks. I was thinking I should perhaps get a powerhead to allow more water movement in and around my rocks to promote better natural filtration from the rocks. I am just unsure if that's something i NEED to get right now. I will probably think more seriously about that once i get to the point i want to start to add some soft corals or anenomes for the clowns i plan to get. I know i am probably going to go to the local petco and pick up a cheap one for my water change bucket since its only 5 gallons and shouldnt require a nice expensive piece just to premix my saltwater before a change. Should I go ahead and get a powerhead for my display tank anyway? And on another note, why didn't anyone tell me I was going to be spending so much money on this stuff????? Where is the Goodwill for aquarists lol.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! It's an expensive hobby but there are some ways to make it less expensive rather than more. You usually pay more for convenience and automation and less if you're willing to do things manually. Some equipment you don't want to scrimp on, mainly a protein skimmer and the lights. Those are both critical to the health of your reef tank. Smaller tanks, like my nano, don't need skimmers, but yours will, because you'd have to change an enormous amount of water to keep things in check. I'd definitely buy a refractometer instead of a hydrometer to measure salinity. They're a little more expensive but much more accurate. As far as test kits go, they run the whole gamut. You'll need to test for nitrates, magnesium, calcium, ph, temp, salinity, phosphates and alkalinity. I use Salifert for nitrates, mg and ca, Hanna Checkers for alkalinity and phosphates, a plain old thermometer for temp, a refractometer for salinity and a digital ph meter. I picked these after a lot of trial and error and though some of them are pricey, I trust the results. Things that add to cost but decrease labor are controlling systems like the Apex, dosing pumps, reactors (such as phosban or calcium) among other things. For a tank that size you'll want an RODI unit to make your own water. For the amount you'll need to change, it will be worth it. You don't have to go high end on everything to have a great tank. I wouldn't spend a lot on livestock until you can get a nice tank setup with lights and a skimmer and some decent test kits. And remember that the more you put in the tank, the more complicated it gets. I'm sure others will chime in with things I've forgotten. Good luck!!

OP
OP
Bensadork

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think I have the protein skimmer and the lights are good. I have a current Use orbit marine led fixture that's 36" long and I also still have my marineland singlebright from my freshwater setup. My protein skimmer is an eshoppe psk100 hob protein skimmer and that sucker is working like a champ pulling so much junk out of my tank I nearly have to empty it every day. I will probably stock up on gallons of ro water from the store until I can convince my gf to let me drop more money on a rodi unit lol

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I love that rock or rocks on the right side very cool

OP
OP
Bensadork

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man my last trip to the LFS was my last live rock purchase and I had about 15 pounds ready to buy and the guy pulled that piece out of the corner of the huge rock bin they had and he was like this cost the same as the rocks your about to buy so I couldn't leave without it.

OP
OP
Bensadork

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no kidding. 45 pounds of live rock cost me over 300 at the store up the road from me. Everything in the tank is Fiji but that big one on the right is from somewhere else but I forgot where he said it came from.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get excited over everything in this hobby not only fish and corals but everything from worms to even rock. I can't wait to see how that one shapes up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back