OP
OP
Bensadork

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wiz I completely feel you on that one. You don't even know how stoked I was when I put my first few pieces of live rock in the tank and the next morning I saw a couple little starfish. I even posted about it on Facebook lol. Now with all my rock in there's a ton of starfish and a few small snails and I just stare at the tank watching all of the little critters that are already in there. I have the bug really bad and can't wait until I can get some real life and some nice corals to share with all of you.

OP
OP
Bensadork

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am even stoked about this little purple tube worm thing sticking out of a rock. I'm assuming it's a tube worm at least
image.jpg

OP
OP
Bensadork

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I don't know how well this pic will show up. I was thinking the brown one is also a tube worm but it has a different color and it doesn't have quite the same shape and it doesn't have a mouth constantly opening and closing in the middle. I'm almost wondering if its some kind of tiny anemone that made it through the journey as a hitchhiker
image.jpg

OP
OP
Bensadork

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And mind you both of those things are super tiny. That's an iphone 6 plus camera zoomed in all the way against the side of my tank and they still look small in the pics

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the first one is definitely a small feather duster and is fantastic. The second one is definitely a glass anemone or aptasia definitely that want to get rid of them.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you buddy. I am on here which is a fantastic resource and great people. As well as a local forum. And I have a facebook site just for my tank. I am posting and researching and taking pictures all the time. I spend at least 1 hour every night after dark looking at my tank with a red light. As well as staring at it and all of my free time. I am more than a little obsessed with every aspect of it with the exception of filtration lol.

aquaman84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to r2r! you have a nice looking tank and looks like your doing a great job with the cycling! it looks like your almost done.

OP
OP
Bensadork

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I looked both of those things up as soon as I saw your post and you are absolutely correct on both of them! I'm super happy to have a little feather duster. I can only hope that it will make it through the infancy of my tank considering all the reading I did said they should only be added in a very established tank because they eat plankton. I really doubt I have any plankton in my tank and I would hate for such a beautiful creature to starve to death. And so what is the best recommendation for getting rid of this little aiptasia? It's really really small (like maybe 1/8 inch tall) I can't imagine it being a problem considering its so small but I would hate to drag my feet and end up with some serious problems down the road.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with barely anything in the tank you might just try hitting it with boiling water through a baster or something similar. Joes juice defanitly works well. or just a kalk wassee water mix which is basically the same thing. there are plenty of ways. the problem with aptasia is not the one it is it they will overrun your tank very quickly and make no room for anything else. best to get rid of it fast.

OP
OP
Bensadork

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have asterina starfish been known to eat aiptasia? I woke up this morning and I was looking for that little aiptasia that ive been seeing there for the past week and now all I see in that spot is a starfish. While I'm not mad about the glass anemone being gone, it's just surprising that an asterina starfish did the work.

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And keep in mind if you feel the rock is not stable, that a snail can nock stuff over, you'll need to either use some stick epoxy to secure it.
The coral epoxy sticks will be invaluable,lol

OP
OP
Bensadork

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can the coral epoxy be used and setup without having to disturb the rock too much, like only needing to lift it enough to get the adhesive in there or do i need to take them completely out of the tank and all that?

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your place your rock well apoxy is not needed. I've been doin this 8 years and never used glue. Things might knock over a coral. But a good sized rock placed well I don't think will be toppled by much. Just my opinion. And the aptasia is still there. You should keep watching. They move as well. Could be in a differeny place. Asternia do not eat them. And it is rare to get the zoa eating kind. Most are grazers and not a predator.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I move my rock on occasion. So apoxy would be bad for me...

OP
OP
Bensadork

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah im not gonna worry abot gluing he rocks too much unless it becomes an issue. the only ones i would even have a problem with are the 2 smaller pieces on the top left corner of the first pic i posted in this thread. I guess im going to have to look around my tank and see where that little anemone moved to so I can get rid of it ASAP.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like the light. So you'll see it eventually. Good luck :)

OP
OP
Bensadork

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
speaking of lights, have you seen the Current USA Orbit marine LED system? It has a remote control with a completely customizable lighting schedule for all the spectrums of LED with a beautiful blue moonlight setting. It is all electronically controlled with a remote and backlit LCD display screen. I know i sound like a product salesman or something but I am not. I am just super impressed with the quality of this light. It's 36 inches long and I paid like 189 or something on marinedepot.com. It has such a small profile that i can easily place it on top of my tank along with my marineland singlebright LED fixture that I've had for years. I dont usually run them both but maybe down the road when i add some corals it might be beneficial to have the extra lights.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back