This is why I do what I do

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/04/palytoxin/#more-55617
This is why I'm studying and buying every frag of zoas I can find. This stuff is scary. Please use ppe. I have learned. Couple of things that I need to add to the journal I'll get to it.

Please careful docs around here don't know about this stuff make sure your in case of emergency contact knows you have a saltwater aquarium.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crazy stuff bro thx for sharing .. i can see myself commng out of the bathroom with an outbreak suit on and wife going what the heck u doing about to fight ebola? no hun i gotta frag some zoas and i dont wanna die but id love to make $10 lol

OP
OP
R

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya the fiancé cracks up when I have elbow length gloves and googles on when I'm home dragging and microscope lol

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets talk protection people.

that thin latex apparatus that people tend to forget or claim it is not needed is a very important item.It can save your life or at least stop you from spending a few days with a very uncomfortable infection.haphazardly going thru life ignoring this small layer or protection is really not very smart as I have seen first hand.I am no better then the rest as I have contracted a few nasties from being a cavalier and going commando for many years.Well I think I have finally learned my lesson and have now begun practicing safe f*****g.This is no small feat for a old school superman minded gorilla but it was a lesson hard learned from going bare back one too many times.The infections and days of suffering are burned into my memory much like the skin that was unprotected.Yesterday for the first time in many years I had a layer of latex between me and the living creature I spent the evening with.This was not quite as intimate as my previous interactions but it was pleasant.Words of wisdom here peeps,use protection.It is the only way to fragment and propagate corals.

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 95% zoas in my tank! frag them all the time. never had a problem
Only a matter of time. It's not if, it's when. I also speak from experience over 18 years of fragging and such. The big problem is, if you do have polytoxin issues, most Doctors have no clue what to do. Best to prevent any possible life or limb threatening issues. Take this seriously, and learn from others mistakes.

OP
OP
R

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragging***** my bad. There is always a chance of the palytoxin being there, but the little and I mean little says that the main worry is the palyzoas and the protopalyzoas. On the other hand there are other things that could get you that are in the water.

CloudIX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never even heard of this before. does this mean that all zoa's could have this toxin on it?

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been sick from this before. It is NOT fun. I got sick from fragging zoas twice. Made sure to wash my hands after fragging from then on. This stuff knocked me out for about 3 days both times. Not fun and could have been much worse.

Brandon

Last edited:

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm with brandon I also got sick from green polyp. All zoa and polyp having toxic in them. But some are stronger and others.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back