This seems not good

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple weeks ago these weird bubble things were on one of our return lines. I did a partial water change using our vacuum tube or whatever you wanna call it. Held the suction end at the return line as I scrapped algae and bubbles off. Thought I got rid of all minus one or two. Looked in the sump this morning and boy was I wrong. Is this a sign of the dreaded dinos?
20200529_120613.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that is bubble algae....looks like some other type of algae just releasing oxygen bubbles. Hard to tell because of the concentration of bubbles but maybe a hair algae/cyano combo?

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that is bubble algae....looks like some other type of algae just releasing oxygen bubbles. Hard to tell because of the concentration of bubbles but maybe a hair algae/cyano combo?

Yea we are having a bit of an algae issue right now. Having a hard time getting our skimmer to stay dialed in and was having trouble getting Nitrates down. Have them down in the 20 range (I know, I know but they were as high as 80). Have a ton of snails of all kinds now (Mexican turbo, cerith, turbans, nerites, red foot, etc) , replaced the substrate in the fuge with new miracle mud and have a bunch of fresh macro algae being delivered today. Probably gonna order a bottle of vibrant too.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea we are having a bit of an algae issue right now. Having a hard time getting our skimmer to stay dialed in and was having trouble getting Nitrates down. Have them down in the 20 range (I know, I know but they were as high as 80). Have a ton of snails of all kinds now (Mexican turbo, cerith, turbans, nerites, red foot, etc) , replaced the substrate in the fuge with new miracle mud and have a bunch of fresh macro algae being delivered today. Probably gonna order a bottle of vibrant too.
Yeah just manually remove as much as you can, keep lowering your numbers, and make sure your CUC is in full working order and it will all disappear :)

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah just manually remove as much as you can, keep lowering your numbers, and make sure your CUC is in full working order and it will all disappear :)

Hopefully the dang yellows, Lt and foxface start eating algae growing in the tank instead of waiting on me to feed lol.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caused a nitrate spike when we had a powder blue added. I didn't want him to be bullied by the sailfin we had at the time so I overfed like a dummy. Caused them to go up to like 80 and it's been a slow process to get them down. I can really only do a max of 35 gallon water changes at a time (my container only holds that many) and hell even getting good salt mix delivered can be tough these days.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not bubble algae... that stuff is hard and doesn't pop easily.

I don't think it's dinos by the appearance... looks more like cyano with bubbles mixed into some hair algae.

Good old elbow grease is needed to get that stuff clean and under control. Make sure nutrients are in check and not fluctuating all over the place.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not bubble algae... that stuff is hard and doesn't pop easily.

I don't think it's dinos by the appearance... looks more like cyano with bubbles mixed into some hair algae.

Good old elbow grease is needed to get that stuff clean and under control. Make sure nutrients are in check and not fluctuating all over the place.

I had cyano that liked to collect bubbles myself.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looks like its time to battle cyno and hair algae. Working on getting nutrients down and the vast amount of snails I've added should help with hair algae. What about cyno?

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looks like its time to battle cyno and hair algae. Working on getting nutrients down and the vast amount of snails I've added should help with hair algae. What about cyno?
In my experience, cyano usually disappears on its own once you get nutrients under control and everything balances out. ChemiClean does work, but it is more of a temporary fix.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going through a hair algae problem in my aquarium. When the hair algae was really bad, I had bubbles like you do too.

In my case they were air bubbles. As algae performs photosynthesis, CO2 is consumed and oxygen is released. If your algae problem is severe enough (like mine was) those little air bubbles will accumulate in and on the hair algae forest.

If it is air bubbles, they’ll disappear as you get a hold of your algae issues.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 nitrates is meh to me, what are your phosphates?
Is that a low flow spot? If you have any asterinas drop them on it and see what happens.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%

Back