This snake oil?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

michael23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a 10g tab of the waste-away gel to my 17g nano. The next day I found that it caused the skimmer to overflow, which got water into the stand and shorted out my light's power supply. So that was fun.

It definitely increased skimmer production, to the point that I have had to almost completley close the air valve on my skimmer (red sea max nano). Going to give a couple more days, but it's looking like I need to pull the waste away out.

Seem like no body update their feedback after using the Dr tim waste away gel after this product been in the market few years, I just use it 4 day ago and the result is not up to my expectation. my skimmer become overflow for 4 day until now , the air valve on my skimmer been put at max already and yet it still overflow, it been overflow one to one and a half bucket a day which mean i already change 5 bucket of salt water for the pass 4 days. In order to stop the skimmer overflow, i force to add another layer of floor stand to make the skimmer stand higher which is higher then the factory recomendation( as shown in picture).

My 4 feet tank do not have any red algae issue just the nitrate is about 40, thought of using this can reduce the nitrate for long term while gain good bacteria in the tank. but now it seem like become a nightmare for me . It JUST act like the CHEMICLEAN which make the skimmer running like craze none stop overflow. If in this case, what is the purpose for me to put this waster away gel? I eventually can archive the low reading of nitrate result by changing the water rather then waste money put the DR tim waster away gel as s i need to change water everyday which cause by overflow. it seem like double work! Every parameter can be solve by changing water! Perhaps other been use this product can update and let us know if the result is different from what i having now.

waste away gel1.jpg waste away gel13.jpg waste away gel12.jpg

michael23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, total changing 15 bucket of water within 15 day yet it still overflow even skimmer valve adjust to maximum. Corals start become stress and some coral is dying. Decided to remove the dr tim waste away , once remove, the other day the skimmer act like normal while the corals still under rescue status

This product is it contain of carbon source , domain bacteria or as advertise " natural plantation" that will cause the chemical reaction such like skimmer overflow? If skimmer always over flow and cause water to add on everyday, of course the dust debris will be waste away.

lesson to learn, do not lazy, rather then put a waste away gel in reef tank once a month , better buy a product such like BioDigest: that request put manually and will not cause overflow issue

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the liquid Waste Away now because I can control how much I use (which is never more than 1/2 dose). So far I haven't had a problem with it. The gel though seems like it can cause problems. My guess is that it releases too much initially. Possibly better used as a maintenance product after initially using the liquid version for a few weeks?

Sea in the City

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone:

Glad to explain our Waste-Away gels and answer any other questions. Srusso - is there anything specific you think is snakeoil-ish about the product or is that just a general observation about the entire product/concept?
Good Morning Dr. Tim. I have a question about your product. It is safe to use waste-away gel while dosing Vibrant? I will appreciate your response. Thank you.

Sebastian

michael23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move to new house after 3 year , since a new tank, i try use again, again, IT FAIL. All my previous artificial rock been treat with h2o2 and direct expose to sun for 3 week before it setup the new tank.Hence no ammonia detect at all. I still let it cycle for 2 week and put 3 fish . I try test this waste away gel again( corals i put at the regular purchase aquarium shop while i moving house, not dare put back while test this product again), since all use new salt water, it should not give me any problem. But again, immediately after an hour put the waste away gel in tank, the skimmer start overflow again like crazy and i need to lower down the skimmer power as shown in picture to avoid overflow( before that i set at maximum) . —— clean salt water still overflow , is this so call bacteria reaction? Also new setup clean water still have so many slush to be collect at skimmer which cause overflow?

two times also cause skimmer overflow like crazy, i dun think is a right product to use- jst base on my own experience, might be different to others.

IMG_8622.jpeg IMG_8621.jpeg IMG_8624.jpeg IMG_8626.jpeg IMG_8627.jpeg

Last edited:

michael23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why use Waste Away on a brand new tank?
Try test The product as it give me bad result on old tank. Though if new tank ok then i will use it next time when my tank is stable .

Notice that only algae at my turbo snail is reduce( since a new tank and treat with h2o2,)skimmer get crazy again and the the colour of water that skim out is the light blue( product colour)-last time the skimmer went crazy overflow cause a lot of my coral die

IMG_8639.jpeg

Last edited:

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just bought some snake oil. Aquaforest Life Source. Supposedly for $40, I can take a sterile tank and reach 90%+ diversity of components that are >1% in NSW. It's better than aptaisia and dinos I suppose. We shall see... I just turned the lights on.

michael23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He wants dinos... duh
Haha…u right…. summary of the product, of course it will clear the the algae as it force skimmer go crazy skim the slush/no slush which force u change a lot of water.

Product put 12hours before throw away and i change 3 buckets of water (75 liter) and it skimmer still not back to normal yet.

Snake oil? Old tank and new tank give same result.- my result might different from others, but i not dare to use again after 2 experience.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back