This trap is awful!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Slocke
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Joined
Feb 3, 2022
Messages
13,711
Reaction score
53,747
Location
Atlanta
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the small Icecap fish trap and it has so many design flaws that could be fixed so easily and that’s not including its flimsiness.

Design flaws:
- on the small model the extra piece of acrylic keeps rotating and stopping it from closing
- the screw that tightens that piece of acrylic to stop it spinning is too long and also blocks the door from shutting
- the grooves don’t go up all the way allowing the door to be pulled off when pulling out the key
- the grooves are too far apart allowing the door to come off easily
- shape of key is flanged out and sometimes catches on the door so it pulls off the door
- feeding tube is stuck and now useless.
- the cap on the feeding tube always comes out and allows food to escape

Those are just the ones I can think of right now. Long story short this hawkfish may never get caught!

As an engineer I am embarrassed by this thing.
 
Last edited:
I bought a generic "Large Fish Trap for Aquariums/Acclimation Box" on Amazon and caught many fish with it. $60 for large. The way it hooks on the tank is terrible so I attach it with my algae scraper. I do sort of hate the circle opening but then again I did eventually catch all the fish I wanted to. So not totally terrible.

If you need another one lol... at least Amazon has a easy return process.
 
I bought a generic "Large Fish Trap for Aquariums/Acclimation Box" on Amazon and caught many fish with it. $60 for large. The way it hooks on the tank is terrible so I attach it with my algae scraper. I do sort of hate the circle opening but then again I did eventually catch all the fish I wanted to. So not totally terrible.

If you need another one lol... at least Amazon has a easy return process.
Thanks haha.
I think I'm just mad because like everything in this hobby the price was fairly large and it has so many easily fixable things. I think I'm going to try the plastic bottle trap next. Should always try the cheap DIY solution first I guess.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new