Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.

I had a 300 Tall (96 x 24 x 31 Tall) and should have gotten the 300 Wide (96 x 30 x 25 Tall) which would have been easier to clean.

When I bought my 3 oldest children each a 180g (actually ends up at ~187g) being 96 x 18 x 25 Tall which gave plenty of room and much easier upkeep.

Does 18 inches wide feel really narrow? I feel like I'd prefer to go a little shorter and wider if I do decide a 180 is a better option.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the whole system is in the room

Why unfortunately?

I've seen this:
xlarge1-570x320.jpg

But I was thinking more of this concept, but with a mattress instead of a glass table. :D New version of a water bed!

first-rate-aquarium-in-dining-room-fish-tables-tank-table-youtube-feng-shui-vastu.jpg

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does 18 inches wide feel really narrow? I feel like I'd prefer to go a little shorter and wider if I do decide a 180 is a better option.

I agree with the 180 Wide 72 x 24 x 25 Tall still giving plenty of room.

My preference would not be 18 inches as some larger like/need a bit more turn radius and IMHO.

Another option meeting in the middle (kind of) I think an easy doable would be a 240 Long with the measurements being 96 x 24 x 25 Tall...but that's just me.

Different sizes depending on different species.

underwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it, but it sounds like the decision of whether the 1st tank will be fish-only or reef is still up in the air, right? If you are dead set on doing both types of tank, I'd put the fish-only against the wall and make the peninsula a reef. Reason being, a reef requires more equipment and there's more of a need to reach/access everywhere in the tank, so being able to access the tank and stand from both sides would be beneficial.

Have you considered a 230 gallon for the fish only? 7 ft x 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft might be a good size if you want to go bigger than a 180.

Either way, I'd advise against plumbing the two tanks together. The big fish in the fish only will muck up the water quality for the reef.

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! That is something I should consider. I am glad you mentioned it! Feel free to share more of the thoughts you've put into it!
I've mostly thought about an SPS dominated system since it seems that most fish tend to find SPS distasteful. This applies to some butterflies and large angels and definitely the triggers. I'm still not sold on anythng outside of the Xanthichthys species. I've seen and heard of people keeping other genus' to include clown triggers. I had a clown trigger once, he liked to stack clam shells and rocks. I could see him stacking my frags nice and neat for me... No thanks!! So I guess if you wanted to add corals and fish it might pay to research what corals you are willing to throw in there and if not go with the FOWLR. Nothing wrong with a FOWLR, but I just like my corals :)

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it, but it sounds like the decision of whether the 1st tank will be fish-only or reef is still up in the air, right? If you are dead set on doing both types of tank, I'd put the fish-only against the wall and make the peninsula a reef. Reason being, a reef requires more equipment and there's more of a need to reach/access everywhere in the tank, so being able to access the tank and stand from both sides would be beneficial.

Have you considered a 230 gallon for the fish only? 7 ft x 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft might be a good size if you want to go bigger than a 180.

Either way, I'd advise against plumbing the two tanks together. The big fish in the fish only will muck up the water quality for the reef.

I know that I will want a FOWLR at some point. I'm planning on starting this one as a reef tank though. Down the line, I will get a second tank (not as big as I'm considering for this one) and switch that to corals and convert this big one to a FOWLR. I have the same thoughts though. The penninsula tank will be only a reef tank forever and always. :)

I'm not opposed to anything right now. I know the critters I always go gaga over are the clownfish triggers (listed at 300g min), snowflake eels, and Pakistan butterflies. If I decide I'll never want a clownfish trigger in the tank, then I think I am able to go a bit smaller without a problem.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've mostly thought about an SPS dominated system since it seems that most fish tend to find SPS distasteful. This applies to some butterflies and large angels and definitely the triggers. I'm still not sold on anythng outside of the Xanthichthys species. I've seen and heard of people keeping other genus' to include clown triggers. I had a clown trigger once, he liked to stack clam shells and rocks. I could see him stacking my frags nice and neat for me... No thanks!! So I guess if you wanted to add corals and fish it might pay to research what corals you are willing to throw in there and if not go with the FOWLR. Nothing wrong with a FOWLR, but I just like my corals :)

I know that with FOWLR species, there's still may be few coral species I could try that may be able to stay safe. That's the reach goal for this tank though. :)

That's so cute. I swear they are beautiful fish and have some interesting personalities! The thought of owning one of those one day is what makes me think, sure 300 gallons!!! Done! :D

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that I will want a FOWLR at some point. I'm planning on starting this one as a reef tank though. Down the line, I will get a second tank (not as big as I'm considering for this one) and switch that to corals and convert this big one to a FOWLR. I have the same thoughts though. The penninsula tank will be only a reef tank forever and always. :)

I'm not opposed to anything right now. I know the critters I always go gaga over are the clownfish triggers (listed at 300g min), snowflake eels, and Pakistan butterflies. If I decide I'll never want a clownfish trigger in the tank, then I think I am able to go a bit smaller without a problem.
I like where this is going! I'm not so sure about the Pakistan Butterfly and corals so I'll let someone speak to that. The Pakistan Butterfly and Clown Trigger though, that makes me nervous. Clown triggers have a way of, how to say this politely, starting off as perfect and angels and then morphing into a hellspawned demon that destroys everything you've ever known and hold dear. Butterflyfish may like our corals but are pretty passive as far as fish go. In my mind the two together would eventually get ugly unless the tank was absolutely massive.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like where this is going! I'm not so sure about the Pakistan Butterfly and corals so I'll let someone speak to that. The Pakistan Butterfly and Clown Trigger though, that makes me nervous. Clown triggers have a way of, how to say this politely, starting off as perfect and angels and then morphing into a hellspawned demon that destroys everything you've ever known and hold dear. Butterflyfish may like our corals but are pretty passive as far as fish go. In my mind the two together would eventually get ugly unless the tank was absolutely massive.

Thanks, I was going to wait until I had the room prepped to begin work on the tank, but I was convinced to go ahead and start a build thread so I'd get more advice. It was a good idea!

The pakistani are not reef safe, but I find them to be one of the most beautiful butterfly fish. I smiled at your description of the tiggers. Everything I've read about them reminds me of a giant dog who breaks everything, but in a cute way... if that's possible? If I ever did get a clownfish trigger, I know that means the tank will have to be an aggressive tank though - puffers, wrasses, etc. I may never own one, but I know this will be the biggest tank I own. I picked the largest fish I might ever want to have and choose it's recommended tank size as the upper limits of consideration for this build. If I do go less than 300, then a clown trigger will likely never go in the tank.

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I was going to wait until I had the room prepped to begin work on the tank, but I was convinced to go ahead and start a build thread so I'd get more advice. It was a good idea!

The pakistani are not reef safe, but I find them to be one of the most beautiful butterfly fish. I smiled at your description of the tiggers. Everything I've read about them reminds me of a giant dog who breaks everything, but in a cute way... if that's possible? If I ever did get a clownfish trigger, I know that means the tank will have to be an aggressive tank though - puffers, wrasses, etc. I may never own one, but I know this will be the biggest tank I own. I picked the largest fish I might ever want to have and choose it's recommended tank size as the upper limits of consideration for this build. If I do go less than 300, then a clown trigger will likely never go in the tank.
I'm always of the mind of bigger is better when it comes to tanks. That having been said our pockets are only so deep and the space we have to work with is only so large. That 30,000 gallon shark tank will have to remain in my dreams, LOL. But a 400, a 500, that might be possible. An interesting note on the truly massive builds. I was in the Key West aquarium and had a moment to talk to one of the higher ups about the display that had bamboo sharks and aggressive triggers in it. I was always of the mindset that sharks and triggers are a definite no, the trigger will kill the shark. He advised me that once you start to get into systems 500 and above some of the really aggressive fish seem to lose their aggressive tendencies. I'm not saying you should put something THAT big in, but if it ever happens that's a thought to keep in mind.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 29 gallon biocube. To say I've fallen in love with salt water tanks would be an understatement. So I know I am going to upgrade, but am not totally sure to what yet. I'm certain there's all kinds of things that I have not thought about, and I know there are tons of things I have thought about, but still have no clue what to do. I decided to go ahead and start this thread to keep everything in one place. This will be a slow and a long project. There's a lot of other things I have thought about that I did not include here, but the post was already getting long.

What I HAVE decided is that the new tank will go in what is now my office (pictures below). I have decided to move my office upstairs. I have two guests bedrooms, one of which rarely gets used. My thoughts is to put a wall-bed in here for the few times I need a second room, but otherwise, this will be my main office space. My current office is right off the front door on one side (the big opening) and the kitchen on the other, so it tends to be a little loud, so moving my office away from all the excitement seems like a good move either way. (The giant desk is going to go away :) .)

IMG_3962.jpg IMG_3961.jpg

I think this is a good spot because the garage is on the other side of the wall. This will allow me to do some direct plumbing for ATO and water changes.

I think I want to tile the room. It is an 11 X 16 space. One issue is that since this room is right off the entry, it need to look really nice, additionally it needs to match the kitchen, which was finished with a remodel about a year ago now (Pictures below). The doorway is into my current office. I like the idea of the fish tank in this room too because it is out of the way, but still very visible.

Kamp 2.png

I know that I want to keep some fish that are not reef safe at some point (harlequin tusks, butterfly fish, trigger fish, etc.). I am not sure if this is the best tank to have has a FOWLR, or if I should plan that adventure for sometime in the future. There's noting to say that I can't add another tank on the opposite wall as a FOWLR at some point. I really love corals, so if I'm going bigger, I feel like it should def be a reef tank initially.

These are my inspiration pictures. I know I want to keep a desk space, because I want the room to stay useful and I'm sure I'll enjoy being able to work where I can watch the tank(s). I do like the look of an open top (with crating of something to keep the fish from jumping), so I'm not sure I would want top cabinets. I like the third picture with a hanging light over the tank in lieu of can lights.

27-Tropical-Home-Office-by-Jeannette-Architects.jpg 22-Tropical-Kitchen-by-Jeannette-Architects.jpg

cfc2031e3b3bef540f7e7edf383ece6b.jpg

I am also planning on tiling the room. That is what I am currently pricing out. I know I want a drain in the room, just in case there's an accident and water goes all over the room. (Hopefully it will never be needed, but I do have a 5 year old boy who is decidedly unaware of his surroundings and even less aware of things that may break around him). I'll update the post later with tile ideas.

Let me know what you think of the ideas!

Is the sky the limit on price? Get the biggest you can. If there is some animal you absolutely have to have design it around that and add what is compatible. I would be careful about using the garage for any water transfers unless you can climate control the water re-entering the house. There can also be increased exhaust of CO and CO2 in both a kitchen and garage to consider not to mention toxins used in those environments. For myself I would lean towards the kitchen and plump it into the basement if my kitchen can hold it. I doubt I would get much work done in my office with a tank. I would check it on breaks. I hope it turns out awesome.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
toilet.jpg
ca540020e0e1c035290a578a862a25af--amazing-aquariums-beautiful-fish.jpg
Wilmingtonalternate.jpg

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always of the mind of bigger is better when it comes to tanks. That having been said our pockets are only so deep and the space we have to work with is only so large. That 30,000 gallon shark tank will have to remain in my dreams, LOL. But a 400, a 500, that might be possible. An interesting note on the truly massive builds. I was in the Key West aquarium and had a moment to talk to one of the higher ups about the display that had bamboo sharks and aggressive triggers in it. I was always of the mindset that sharks and triggers are a definite no, the trigger will kill the shark. He advised me that once you start to get into systems 500 and above some of the really aggressive fish seem to lose their aggressive tendencies. I'm not saying you should put something THAT big in, but if it ever happens that's a thought to keep in mind.

Lol.... I think places like the GA aquarium can be explained by aquarium lovers running out of space for their dream tanks. :p I guess the space explains how those places can keep pretty aggressive breeds of fish and sharks with some pretty docile fish in places like that.

As much as I love looking at massive tanks, I honestly know that I would not want to keep one. If I were even considering it, which I'm not, I'd rather have 2 300 gallon tanks than one 600 gallon tank. I have no way to justify my thoughts on this. :D I just think a 600 gallon tank would be a lot. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lol.... I think places like the GA aquarium can be explained by aquarium lovers running out of space for their dream tanks. :p I guess the space explains how those places can keep pretty aggressive breeds of fish and sharks with some pretty docile fish in places like that.

As much as I love looking at massive tanks, I honestly know that I would not want to keep one. If I were even considering it, which I'm not, I'd rather have 2 300 gallon tanks than one 600 gallon tank. I have no way to justify my thoughts on this. :D I just think a 600 gallon tank would be a lot. :)

Piece of cake on 600+

660 setup 11.jpg

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the sky the limit on price? Get the biggest you can. If there is some animal you absolutely have to have design it around that and add what is compatible. I would be careful about using the garage for any water transfers unless you can climate control the water re-entering the house. There can also be increased exhaust of CO and CO2 in both a kitchen and garage to consider not to mention toxins used in those environments. For myself I would lean towards the kitchen and plump it into the basement if my kitchen can hold it. I doubt I would get much work done in my office with a tank. I would check it on breaks. I hope it turns out awesome.

The sky is not the limit. lol I know it is going to be a hefty build, but I also hate wasting money. I know you can spend as much as you like on anything. I have a number in my head that I'd like to stay under - but that's including room modifications, cabinets, plumbing, electrical (I think I'll need to get a new fuse added to the fuse box, but I already needed as part of the house control system), etc.

The CO2 and CO in the garage is an interesting point as well. I'll have to think about how to get around that. I have been thinking about the climate control of the water and battery backups in case of power failures. There's systems where you can tell it to keep everything online up to 90% battery life then start cutting things as the battery is dieing. The last thing to be cut, I imagine, would be the climate control stuff. I have a system like this in my house, and the last thing to cut in case of power failure is wifi and security system. The tv's and sound will stay operational for about 2 minutes. Which is nice if it's just a quick flicker.

If I were to get some of those species, I would definitely plan around them. I don't think they're in the immediate future though. Maybe a few years down the road.

The house does not have a basement but it does have a decent sized crawl space. That was one thing that surprised me when I moved to the area. Very few homes have basements. Apparently the ground is too hard or something. I'm not sure what you mean about plumbing to the kitchen. I will have to look into that to get an idea about what you are referencing. I already check the tank on breaks! And make breaks to check on it, and it's not in my office! LOL That's why I will only keep a small desk in the room, and move my main office to another room. Plus, I'll have more space for the tank(s) that way! :D

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sky is not the limit. lol I know it is going to be a hefty build, but I also hate wasting money. I know you can spend as much as you like on anything. I have a number in my head that I'd like to stay under - but that's including room modifications, cabinets, plumbing, electrical (I think I'll need to get a new fuse added to the fuse box, but I already needed as part of the house control system), etc.

The CO2 and CO in the garage is an interesting point as well. I'll have to think about how to get around that. I have been thinking about the climate control of the water and battery backups in case of power failures. There's systems where you can tell it to keep everything online up to 90% battery life then start cutting things as the battery is dieing. The last thing to be cut, I imagine, would be the climate control stuff. I have a system like this in my house, and the last thing to cut in case of power failure is wifi and security system. The tv's and sound will stay operational for about 2 minutes. Which is nice if it's just a quick flicker.

If I were to get some of those species, I would definitely plan around them. I don't think they're in the immediate future though. Maybe a few years down the road.

The house does not have a basement but it does have a decent sized crawl space. That was one thing that surprised me when I moved to the area. Very few homes have basements. Apparently the ground is too hard or something. I'm not sure what you mean about plumbing to the kitchen. I will have to look into that to get an idea about what you are referencing. I already check the tank on breaks! And make breaks to check on it, and it's not in my office! LOL That's why I will only keep a small desk in the room, and move my main office to another room. Plus, I'll have more space for the tank(s) that way! :D
My house runs on natural gas so I've been eyeballing a natural gas generator for back-up. That would significantly increase the price of the build, but you could sell it as a household item in case of emergencies. That is of course if you have natural gas hook-ups. Gotta love justifying things!! :)

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a large reef, a generator is mandatory. I use an $800 gasoline generator I can wheel outside to use, so its not a huge expense. Batteries are still good do have if the power goes out and you aren't home.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would not do crawl space, you will put off maintenance in a crawl space. Look at what a battery backup cost, and then if you need a plumber and electrical anyways consider a whole house standby. I have no idea where you are, I had one installed for 8500 with a whole house surge protector. Will kick in automatically in less than one minute and power my whole house including ac, well, sump, fridges, tvs, furnace, wifi, and yes the aquarium. If you are thinking big build as well, you may be able to use your crawl space for pipe only and then go down into it and back up in another room where you could have your sump, an auto water changer, your QT, and your uncle scrooge money vault. I would think pex would be pretty easy to plump and since it is a low pressure system you would not really be worried about leaks. Temperature would again be a problem unless you heated the pipe with a thermostat to keep it aquarium temp.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back