Thoughts on “Vibrant” algae remover?

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently battling Bryopsis and hair algae. Part of me wants to dose vibrant before it gets out of hand, and the other knows that it will kill all of the algae, hence harming pod population. Thoughts? Can a reef truly be happy and healthy with no algae?

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally didnt like it since it plummeted my nutrients ( rookie mistake when i started ) and ended up battling dinos for 6 months lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I love the stuff and find it effective. I always recommend dosing at 80% of recommended and reduce white light intensity during treatment

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally didnt like it since it plummeted my nutrients ( rookie mistake when i started ) and ended up battling dinos for 6 months lol
How do you figure it plummeted you nutrients? It's a bacteria that eats algae. What would the science be of vibrant consuming nutrients?

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had great success with vibrant. Took about one week for normal hair algae but I dosed for two I believe. Then I set up an algae scrubber when I stopped dosing. Now it all grows in there and not in my display!

August
971AEF4E-74B7-4868-B598-CF2B230A3977.jpeg

December
381AD318-A6E8-448E-975F-FF6A96A4FBAF.jpeg

Algae scrubber action. I only dosed for two weeks and turkey basted the rocks. I had several acros that did just fine and are still thriving today

4EEBBF79-0E83-4B95-8336-EDE4E6476A95.jpeg

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had great success with vibrant. Took about one week for normal hair algae but I dosed for two I believe. Then I set up an algae scrubber when I stopped dosing. Now it all grows in there and not in my display!

August
971AEF4E-74B7-4868-B598-CF2B230A3977.jpeg

December
381AD318-A6E8-448E-975F-FF6A96A4FBAF.jpeg

Algae scrubber action. I only dosed for two weeks and turkey basted the rocks. I had several acros that did just fine and are still thriving today

4EEBBF79-0E83-4B95-8336-EDE4E6476A95.jpeg
What are your parameters? and do dose iron or a supplement with it? I basically did the same you did but don't have the green, just brown alage.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you figure it plummeted you nutrients? It's a bacteria that eats algae. What would the science be of vibrant consuming nutrients?
Because it has carbon which
Because vibrant also contaisn carbon which feeds the bacteria that consumes nitrates and phosphates by a large margin. If you can keep an eye on your nutrients then you shouldn't have a problem. I just prefer fluconazole since to me its safer.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it has carbon which

Because vibrant also contaisn carbon which feeds the bacteria that consumes nitrates and phosphates by a large margin. If you can keep an eye on your nutrients then you shouldn't have a problem. I just prefer fluconazole since to me its safer.
It contains carbon in very very low amount in order to keep the bacteria alive. Not anywhere close enough to effect nutrients.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It contains carbon in very very low amount in order to keep the bacteria alive. Not anywhere close enough to effect nutrients.
It definitely tanked mines aswell as kill my chaeto. Many people report the same thing. Check the dino forums, alot of people relate their dino problems due to using vibrant for that same.reason.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely tanked mines aswell as kill my chaeto. Many people report the same thing. Check the dino forums, alot of people relate their dino problems due to using vibrant for that same.reason.
It will kill the chaeto. It kills algae after all. I'm aware of the dino stuff but believe the answer lies elsewhere. If it caused dinos the vast majority if not all the users would have that problem. But most folks don't. I use it and have not seen dinos.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? and do dose iron or a supplement with it? I basically did the same you did but don't have the green, just brown alage.

No supplements. My po4 at the time was reading .06ppm. Nitrates unknown since I didn’t have a good kit then. Now my tank seems happy at 4ppm nitrate and .1 phosphate.

I really think my success months after is because of my scrubber. But that vibrant wiped out algae fast for me.

It will kill your chaeto if you have any, thats a given. You are supposed to remove it from your system before dosing.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used both and will only use fluconazole if I ever need it again.
I dosed fluc at 50% in my 120 and no algae to be found now.
It will reduce alk demand so stay on top of that.
It did raise no3 and po4 but not drastically in my system.
Its best to remove as much as you can by hand before and during application.
I added 60 astrea snails after the hair algae was 90% gone.
The algae has to be short enough or they wont touch it.
They do a great job at keeping it in check.
I will see small amounts pop up now and then but once they find it its gone by the next day.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant worked for me and removed 100% of the bubble algae and GHA, but took me 16 weeks.

The downside is that it takes out coralline as well, but seems a fair trade off for the bubble, I can start building coralline again.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole is a FUNGICIDE, not an algaecide, and all available literature that I've found, after a fair amount of research, is that it does NOT directly kill algae.

Theoretically what happens is the microbial fungus feeds on detritus that then gets used by the micro algaes. It's a symbiotic relationship. So when you use FLUCONAZOLE, you are killing your fungal population (Detritivores) in order to kill the symbiotic algaes that rely on the fungi.

Fluconazole use definitely can kill Macro algaes. So all the people saying it doesn't are incorrect. But that's only to say it CAN happen, not that it will. I believe the instructions even say to remove your macro algaes during treatment!

It's relatively reef safe, but some people report having dinos and cyano outbreaks after using Fluconazole. I've used it multiple times in the past and it has worked but I've also experienced the problematic effects. So if you have tried all other alternatives and are desperate, DEFINITELY give it a try! Just be prepared and know the risks.

Back