Thoughts on Banana Wrasse?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The confusion by hobbyists and even fish stores between female banana wrasse & yellow coris wrasse is more common than I thought. The following is just a quick research from the internet and there are already quite a few places that prominently display yellow coris as female banana wrasse yet have the right scientific name, Thalassoma lutescens.

The pic from liveaquaria is the right one. The one from tankfacts.com is not factual as the dots on the dorsal fins are clear indication of yellow coris. MarineFishEz gives two pix where one is right and the other is wrong.

IMG_0888.png IMG_0887.png IMG_0886.jpeg IMG_0885.jpeg
So @i cant think picture that reef2reef used on Facebook is indeed a yellow corris and not a banana?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
soo the yellow coris is fine for the reef ? @SaltyT ... :)
@CH3RRY what are you going to do with banana once caught?
willing to trade for coral ?...;)
Yellow corris is def okay for a reef.. the debate the last 20 years is confusion of pictures vendors use and now reef2reef posting a yellow corris and talking about banana's haha! I have always kept what I believe are yellow corris and currently do… I have what ever is in the picture r2r posted on fb and he’s a super chill fish.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
soo the yellow coris is fine for the reef ? @SaltyT ... :)
@CH3RRY what are you going to do with banana once caught?
willing to trade for coral ?...;)
Yep, the yellow 'coris' is reef safe... but it's not even a Coris wrasse it's Halichoeres chrysus.
Lot's of confusion around this little yellow wrasse.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
can you see where he's buried at night ? double net him ?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who wondered why on earth they have the Halichoeres Wrasse pictured when this thread is talking about a Thalassoma. I have given up on common names for Wrasses. The only way to get it even close to right is to go latin for wrasse names.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have given up on common names for Wrasses. The only way to get it even close to right is to go latin for wrasse names.
Thankyou!! This is what I do, although it’s now at a point I don’t know many common names but know many scientifics.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 27.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 32 21.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 38 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back