Thoughts on cowfish/boxfish?

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
In the future I've been thinking about getting a cowfish or boxfish and I was curious on people's thoughts on them? And some helpful tips or warnings. I know they can release toxins.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely fish and different, but as you've already said, release toxins when stressed or dead which can kill the whole tank, number one reason I wont have one.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love cowfish and boxfish and I know about the toxin which I have been hearing about for decades but of the 9 or 10 that I have had over the years maybe half of therm died in the tank and I never had any problem with toxins. Of course I wouldn't eat the thing
This was my last one and he died right after I got him. The anemone ate him and didn't look like he had an upset stomach or anything.

The real problem with these fish is that they get huge.

I have spent time with them in the sea and they are quite common, but big, much bigger than most home tanks can handle.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ostracion solorensis only gets to 5 inches, 2 females were on DD this morning, might be a more suitable and easier to sustain variety for people to try as their first boxfish

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help!! ☺️
I love cowfish and boxfish and I know about the toxin which I have been hearing about for decades but of the 9 or 10 that I have had over the years maybe half of therm died in the tank and I never had any problem with toxins. Of course I wouldn't eat the thing
This was my last one and he died right after I got him. The anemone ate him and didn't look like he had an upset stomach or anything.

The real problem with these fish is that they get huge.

I have spent time with them in the sea and they are quite common, but big, much bigger than most home tanks can handle.

Yeah I've heard people say they didn't have any issues with the toxin warnings of the fish either. Just wasn't sure. But why did the anemone eat him???
Ostracion solorensis only gets to 5 inches, 2 females were on DD this morning, might be a more suitable and easier to sustain variety for people to try as their first boxfish
Thank you! I didn't know there was a smaller version.

I know they get big. How fast would you say they grow? I've heard a lot of people don't have success owning one to get that big?

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a couple of them. First one was a white potted boxfish that died when some of the rock work collapsed on him. I found him the next day and there were no issues with my tank. I also had a cowfish for over a year and it was an awesome fish. I've read they can't handle high flow but I think that is false. I had 2 surge tanks that would blow pretty good and it had no problems.

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a couple of them. First one was a white potted boxfish that died when some of the rock work collapsed on him. I found him the next day and there were no issues with my tank. I also had a cowfish for over a year and it was an awesome fish. I've read they can't handle high flow but I think that is false. I had 2 surge tanks that would blow pretty good and it had no problems.
How fast did your cowfish grow in the year you had it? But poor thing getting crushed by rock work is so sad and terrible!

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read almost every post on Longhorn Cowfish that I can find on the internet. I have one, have had him for about a month now. I'd reccommend doing lots of reading, because your tank must be designed with him in mind as far as stocking goes..

They can release toxins if stressed. This means you need a fully cycled, and stable tank. Temperature and flow need to be consistent, and when they are young they do not like high flow. I have two MP40's in my 4' tank, and I have to keep them around 14% on lower flow settings or else he flys around and swims upside down from too much flow :p

Peaceful tank mates are a must. Mine will be housed with a few varities of goby, chromis, firefish, cardinals, etc. Damsels are not reccommended, same with tangs. No cleaner shrimp, as they do not have scales. The shrimp will clean the skin right off. (Check my thread for stocking list) https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-to-me-120-g.673337/

They have amazing personalities. Mine follows you any time you go near the tank. He's best buds with a black molly that wasn't supposed to last past tank prep, and spits water at you when you have his food. It's reccommended to have them as the first fish in the tank, and they will grow very large depending on the variety. Mine was 3-4" when I got him, I will be upgrading to a 250~ within the next two years. I haven't seen a ton of growth in the last month, but I've told to expect him to be around a foot within 2 years.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a long horn in my 220, and hes amazing. I can post video if needed. hes very inquisitive, and will follow me around. Is not afraid of anything. Wife named it Mayor Mc cheeze. They are super cool fish, but its a fish only tank in that one so.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But why did the anemone eat him???

I don't remember how or why he died but I think it was right after I got him. An anemone will eat anything.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cool and cute they are but avoid them. They are not long lived especially the cowfish in captivity and they will soon starve and end up on the tank bottom dead. Boxfish have a 50/50 chance but too stop eating then its downhill.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back