Thoughts on electric gravel vacuums?

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a crushed coral substrate that ranges from coarse grains to pebbles. Not researching substrate extensively is definitely my biggest regret on this build. None of the amazing sand sifting critters should be anywhere near this substrate, so we have bristleworms and nassarius snails that do an okay job.

We were overfeeding pretty heavily for the first couple months weve had this tank. We got some freeze dried brine shrimp cubes that really dont make it easy to feed a reasonable amount.

Everything is thriving right now. We have maybe a little more algae than a more mature tank will, but it looks much better than either of our freshwater tanks ever did.

I suspect the substrate is the biggest contributor to the algae right now. Today, I picked up a Fluval "Provac." It does a great job of agitating the sand, and evidently some of the debris does end up in the cartridge, but it does seem to kick up a similar amount of crud as stiring the sand with a Kent scraper.

Should I be worried about vacuuming all of the substrate in one go? Will the vacuum allow for an equal quality cleaning as using a siphon?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did not get that way overnight. The vac will work but you must keep at it. A bigger siphon like a python would be better. Some people would pull out the gravel in stages, clean it then put it back in.
For over feeding try putting the cube in a small 50ml beaker of tank water. Keep in the refrig. Feed part of that at each feeding instead of a whole cube. Or go frozen and cut the cubes.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one many many years ago for a freshwater tank. They work for bigger poop and stuff but not for fine stuff. The mesh bag is pretty course. If it was any finer it would clog too easily due to the small size.

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered one of these many times over the years. I've never bought one because I could never find any info where anyone was really happy with one. Siphons work well if you buy the right one, those reviews are usually honest.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did not get that way overnight. The vac will work but you must keep at it. A bigger siphon like a python would be better. Some people would pull out the gravel in stages, clean it then put it back in.
For over feeding try putting the cube in a small 50ml beaker of tank water. Keep in the refrig. Feed part of that at each feeding instead of a whole cube. Or go frozen and cut the cubes.

Were feeding plankton, nori, and occassionally some good pellets now. Much easier to control how much we feed.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered one of these many times over the years. I've never bought one because I could never find any info where anyone was really happy with one. Siphons work well if you buy the right one, those reviews are usually honest.

I think its worth a try. $60 is cheap in this hobby.

The reason I got the electric vacuum specifically is that it is less of a commitment. With the siphon, you need to turn off your return pump, have makeup water ready and at temp, and generally have the time for a PWC in addition to cleaning the gravel.

Whenever the sand looks dirty, I can stick the vacuum in, clean things up, and be done.

Even if the quality of the cleaning isnt on par with a food siphon, it seems like it will be easier to stay on top of.

wrasse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an eheim that works well. Its about 4 years old and getting tempermental, but I don’t think i’d buy another.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did round 2. The sandbed is looking awesome, the water not so much. The vermetid snails are very pleased with all of the food and debris in the water column. Curiously, a lot of the corals are putting out feeder tentacles.

I think a stronger vacuum with better seals and a finer mesh bag would do a pretty stellar job.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS attached. You can see a pretty big difference where I've vacuumed and where I have not.

20200321_164412.jpg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am using a canister filter, it holds about 2 gallons of water and has 3 stages of floss/foam to clean the water. The biggest problem is filling it up and getting it primed. I mean it takes like 20 minutes to prime the pump and get all the air out of this thing. (Yeah made in China)

Is there a wand with a pump that actually works? I see such horrible reviews on the Fluval.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part I have had great luck with Fluval. Their canisters serve me well. Remember online your gonna hear all the bad more than the good

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am using a canister filter, it holds about 2 gallons of water and has 3 stages of floss/foam to clean the water. The biggest problem is filling it up and getting it primed. I mean it takes like 20 minutes to prime the pump and get all the air out of this thing. (Yeah made in China)

Is there a wand with a pump that actually works? I see such horrible reviews on the Fluval.

This is an interesting idea. I'd need to look more into the mechanics of how these canisters work, but maybe connecting a regular water change / gravel cleaning siphon to the intake of the canister filter would make it easier to Prime and provide a better nozzle to clean your substrate?

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang a filter sock inside your sump with a clip, put the end of the siphon hose into it and you can vacuum all you want without losing any water. When done, remove the sock with the debris inside it and rinse it out in the sink. Works great, cost very little, can do it as often as you want. One tip, secure the hose into the sock with a clamp so it doesn't pop out while your attention is elsewhere and flood the floor.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang a filter sock inside your sump with a clip, put the end of the siphon hose into it and you can vacuum all you want without losing any water. When done, remove the sock with the debris inside it and rinse it out in the sink. Works great, cost very little, can do it as often as you want. One tip, secure the hose into the sock with a clamp so it doesn't pop out while your attention is elsewhere and flood the floor.

This is such an elegant solution. Will try this tomorrow. I wish I hadn't broken down the box on that electric unit.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So out of all the canisters I have and had the Fluval, Sicce eko (returned because it cracked) and the Cobalt are by far the easiest to prime.

The cobalt’s pump is in the water so that’s a no issue to get started. Don’t mind the crooked set up this isn’t permanent.
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Here’s my Fluval 207
image.jpg

Here’s my 307 waiting to be used in FOWLR. Next to it is a dumb butt Eheim 2217
image.jpg

I also have 2 API Fillstar’s. But they aren’t worth the time to take a pic.

If it’s priming you worry about I can vouch for the cobalt and Fluval.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So out of all the canisters I have and had the Fluval, Sicce eko (returned because it cracked) and the Cobalt are by far the easiest to prime.

The cobalt’s pump is in the water so that’s a no issue to get started. Don’t mind the crooked set up this isn’t permanent.
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Here’s my Fluval 207
image.jpg

Here’s my 307 waiting to be used in FOWLR. Next to it is a dumb butt Eheim 2217
image.jpg

I also have 2 API Fillstar’s. But they aren’t worth the time to take a pic.

If it’s priming you worry about I can vouch for the cobalt and Fluval.

Are you using these as your 24/7 filtration, or are you just using them to clean your substrate?

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 hour filtration. regardless it would still prime super fast for your application

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have thought about gravity flow before, but I always suspected that the flow rate would be so low that it would hardly remove anything. The canister filter will suck my sand up 5-6" in the tube and I can see the cloud of detritus being sucked in above it. If i push it in too low it will pull in sand. I typically dump any sand left in the canister into a small countainer and rinse it with Ro water and then drop it back into the tank. How much suction are you really getting with just using a gravity feed?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back