Thoughts on the EcoSmart driver

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the EcoSmart driver has been out for a while I was looking for some feedback from some people that have them. Are the new modes any good and worth upgrading from the regular driver? I ask because one of my barely 5 month old MP40W drivers just took a crap on me and I was thinking about taking the opportunity to do the upgrade....if it's worth it. So, what do you EcoSmart owners think of the new driver?

Last edited:

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded from an MP20 and an MP40ES. So far I really like this upgrade and would definitely recommend it if you're upgrading for more power, whether its worth the upgrade just for the modes I don't really know. I will say the knob to be able to adjust the power is quite nice and the 40 really stirs things up in my 40g.

OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I currently have 2 MP40w's so the only reason I would be upgrading would be to get the new features. I have to admit, the option of dimming/disabling the led's is almost enough for me to pull the trigger by itself. After reading the manual from their website, it sounds like EcoTech added a lot of new options to the EcoSmart drivers.

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm sure ecotech would replace your driver or give you some credit towards the upgrade if you contacted them. their customer service has always been great when i've had to deal with them.

OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm sure ecotech would replace your driver or give you some credit towards the upgrade if you contacted them. their customer service has always been great when i've had to deal with them.

I shipped it out to them today. I emailed them last night arond 6:30pm or so and was surprised to get a response a few minutes later! After trying the few things they suggested, they told me to send it in. So far the customer service has been pretty good. Hopefully they will work me a deal on the EcoSmart upgrade.

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curtie... I talked to a few people about these. Apparently you need 3 vortechs all with ES drivers for the only real addition, nutrient export mode, to work properly. Most of us consider ourselves ballin if we have two of them. No way am I adding a third one so there is no need for me to upgrade to the ES drivers. JMO. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curtie... I talked to a few people about these. Apparently you need 3 vortechs all with ES drivers for the only real addition, nutrient export mode, to work properly. Most of us consider ourselves ballin if we have two of them. No way am I adding a third one so there is no need for me to upgrade to the ES drivers. JMO. Hope that helps.

That was another thing I was wondering about, weather you needed 3 pumps to take advantage of the new modes. I re-read the ES manual and came across this on page 34 where it talks about pump location and configuration....

The first slave pump that you add to the aquarium should always be positioned on the opposite side of the tank as the master. If you have a third pump, add that to the back side of the tank (MP10w ES’s are perfect here).

My assumption from that line is that a third pump will enhance the new modes ability but that third pump is not a requirement. I think when I talk to EcoTech about my repair status I'll ask them to clarify that.

Antonias1391

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya i know a guy with his 75 that has 2 MP-40ES on the sides and a MP-10es on the back and his tank is stunning in only about 2-3 months. im getting my first MP-40 soon its gunna be a ES model im exited!

OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I see what you are saying here, I just read this on page 20 of the manual, where it is talking about Nutrient Export Mode:

To maximize the effectiveness of this mode on your aquarium, your pumps should be positioned in the traditional EcoSMART configurations, with at least two pumps opposite each other on each side of the tank, and one or more on the back wall.

Bummer.....that's another $265 for an MP10w ES.

Last edited:

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, curtie... I have friends with two of them and they say it stirs up a LOT of stuff in the water column when you run nutrient export mode but if you don't have the third pump on the back wall then you don't get surge to push all of that stuff into your overflow. IMO that means that without the third pump then upgrading two pumps to ES drivers is a waste of money.

OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, curtie... I have friends with two of them and they say it stirs up a LOT of stuff in the water column when you run nutrient export mode but if you don't have the third pump on the back wall then you don't get surge to push all of that stuff into your overflow. IMO that means that without the third pump then upgrading two pumps to ES drivers is a waste of money.

Jay, I wouldn't consider it a TOTAL waste of money.....there are quite a few gripes I have with the original driver that EcoTech seems to have addressed with the ES. Examples being the already mentioned ability to turn off the LED's (Yeah, yeah, I know a $0.25 piece of black tape will fix that) , plus you can now run the lagoon and reefcrest modes in anti-sync which you couldn't do before (a feature I was actually surprised was not available when I discovered it). Hmmmm....sounds like I am just trying to justify a purchase, doesn't it...

phil121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 Mp10 ES on my 55g tank. Love them. Dimming the leds is nice, these things are bright! If you do want to sync up your pumps (master/slave/slave) etc., be sure to get the wireless driver model.

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, Curtie, you're right... not a TOTAL waste of money. I just would find them to be a waste for my particular situation. It doesn't matter much to me anyway bc as soon as I can I will have mine controlled by an Apex with WXM and there is nothing close to what that thing can do for you!

OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an email from EcoTech yesterday. My driver has been replaced and was covered under warranty. I mentioned that I might be interested in upgrading to the ES driver and they quoted me a price for 2 of them. The price was pretty good, basically the discounted upgrade price they had for a short time when the ES first came out, so I decided to go for it. So not only am I getting 2 new ES drivers but also my replaced WWD. I guess the 2 WWD's that I have will be going up for sale to help cover the cost of a new MP10w ES. :bigsmile:

BTW when I was on the phone with EcoTech, I asked about weather it was a requirement to have the third pump to run in Nutrient Export mode. His answer was no, it would work with just the 2 but it works best with 3.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My replacement WWD and new ES drivers came today. Last week, when I discovered my problem, the guys at EcoTech told me to package everything up and send it all in for evaluation, so I did. What I got back is what appears to be ALL new stuff! Definitely a brand new wet side assy because there is no algae on the one I just got, and I'm 99% sure the dry side is new as well. It all came in a brand new EcoSmart MP40w box with the ES driver already hooked up and all new box contents. That's pretty cool, everything is new! You can't get any better than that.
I have my new ES drivers all set up and running in Nutrient Transport Mode now. I really like the new auto wave tune feature too. Makes setting up a wave in your tank a snap!

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My replacement WWD and new ES drivers came today. Last week, when I discovered my problem, the guys at EcoTech told me to package everything up and send it all in for evaluation, so I did. What I got back is what appears to be ALL new stuff! Definitely a brand new wet side assy because there is no algae on the one I just got, and I'm 99% sure the dry side is new as well. It all came in a brand new EcoSmart MP40w box with the ES driver already hooked up and all new box contents. That's pretty cool, everything is new! You can't get any better than that.
I have my new ES drivers all set up and running in Nutrient Transport Mode now. I really like the new auto wave tune feature too. Makes setting up a wave in your tank a snap!

That is called top shelf service right there.......

I traded a MP20 for a MP10 that I will upgrade to the W es controller since it is about half the price.......Then I will get a new MP10 so I can sinc them up......From the sounds of it the MP10 and the ecodrivers are worth the money....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back