Thoughts on These Two Different Copepod Culturing Techniques...Which is Best for a Beginner?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I'm setting up my first copepod cultures (Tigger pods) and am trying to decide which of these two techniques to use as a beginner. The first one I've researched simply involves adding phytoplankton to the culture container and seems to be the most popular. The second technique is one that a very helpful member here told me about which involves just putting a banana peel in the water for several days or so until the water turns green as a food source. Ideally, I'd like to use small open tanks containers a window to provide light for the phyto instead of using closed containers and artificial light sources. As for phytoplankton, i don't have access to all the algae barn products (and many other popular companies) but what i do have access to are mixtures of phytoplankton species such as Seachem Reef Phytoplankton and a couple local brands of questionable quality. I know nannochloropsis is usually the preferred phyto and these mixes contain at least some of it or i could order one of Brightwells products that's all nannochloropsis but it would be a little pricey for shipping here. Is it worth it to get pure nanno or even really that beneficial if i go the traditional route adding Phytoplankton to the culture? Any and all thoughts are appreciated as long as they're constructive...thanks guys!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not familiar with banana peel trick: Nothing ventured/nothing gained.

A few years ago, a reef addict on “nano reef” set up an experiment to grow phyto with a fountain outdoor in south Texas. It was slow but it worked. To identify the species of phytoplankton was a real eye opening journey. As things turned out, Shahara dust blew from Africa to South Texas. Millions of years ago, when the Sahara was a shallow inland sea a species of phytoplankton went dormant/extent. That’s the phytoplankton that grew out of the air.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lazy method works perfect

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lazy method works perfect
Thats the member who i contacted about his method! He was very helpful and i like everything about the idea, just wasn't sure if the traditional route is easier to get started with in some way or would be better for a beginner

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the member who i contacted about his method! He was very helpful and i like everything about the idea, just wasn't sure if the traditional route is easier to get started with in some way or would be better for a beginner
I got the same outside culture, took a few month to become truly green water but worked. I add phyto every now and then too. Growing your own phyto is not hard either as long as you have access to a starter culture

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the same outside culture, took a few month to become truly green water but worked. I add phyto every now and then too. Growing your own phyto is not hard either as long as you have access to a starter culture
Since i plan on 3 separate cultures to start out maybe I'll try a couple different techniques (there's a buy 2 get 1 free sale on the pods I'd be ordering to start the cultures with and i would want to start multiple cultures regardless in case of a crash or other mistake)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You maybe referring to my threads and posts along with my YouTube videos on how I breed pods outdoors. You could also probably do similar on a window sill providing it gets plenty of light and there us a good surface area, maybe add an airstone for indoors which isn't necessary with culturing pods outdoors.
Here is one of my videos and there are threads on here I started.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one that's best is the one that works best for you. I'm in Canada and everything is frozen right now, its impossible to use the banana method here. It certainly sounds like the easier way though.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You maybe referring to my threads and posts along with my YouTube videos on how I breed pods outdoors. You could also probably do similar on a window sill providing it gets plenty of light and there us a good surface area, maybe add an airstone for indoors which isn't necessary with culturing pods outdoors.
Here is one of my videos and there are threads on here I started.

Do you have to remove the banana peel after the water turns a certain tint of green and will it crash the culture if you don't remove it in time? Also, as the pods continue to reproduce and consume the food from the banana peel, do you just add another peel? And yes, you're the really helpful guy i was referring to!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one that's best is the one that works best for you. I'm in Canada and everything is frozen right now, its impossible to use the banana method here. It certainly sounds like the easier way though.
It does sound easier and would work in my climate but was just curious if others thought the traditional method of using phyto would be a better way to start out

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only did the traditional way so I can't compare. Its easy, but a little more hands-on (topping off, adding phyto, etc...).

If you are looking to learn, then I find that 'hands-on' is a better way to learn rather than set it and forget it.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only did the traditional way so I can't compare. Its easy, but a little more hands-on (topping off, adding phyto, etc...).

If you are looking to learn, then I find that 'hands-on' is a better way to learn rather than set it and forget it.
I'll probably try out both techniques since i plan to start with 3 cultures...i don't mind tending daily at all...I'll be culturing Tigger pods...does the phyto have to be live?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have summers though?
The method I use only works outside in the warmer months.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably try out both techniques since i plan to start with 3 cultures...i don't mind tending daily at all...I'll be culturing Tigger pods...does the phyto have to be live?
If you use the method I use the phyto will be live.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to remove the banana peel after the water turns a certain tint of green and will it crash the culture if you don't remove it in time? Also, as the pods continue to reproduce and consume the food from the banana peel, do you just add another peel? And yes, you're the really helpful guy i was referring to!
@atoll can you help me out with these couple questions i have?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atoll can you help me out with these couple questions i have?
Once you have a good green tint to the water you can remove the banana skin. Would it crash if you left it in, amnnot sure but providing you only have a small amount of skin in there then probably not.
However, you still need to feed the phyto. I use a nitrate based plant fertiliser to keep it going. You don't need a lot half to one cap full every now and again is fine.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you have a good green tint to the water you can remove the banana skin. Would it crash if you left it in, amnnot sure but providing you only have a small amount of skin in there then probably not.
However, you still need to feed the phyto. I use a nitrate based plant fertiliser to keep it going. You don't need a lot half to one cap full every now and again is fine.
Maybe some F2 fertilizer would be best? My goal is to culture pods to sell in whatever quantities i can manage...tbh i don't have a lot of competition here and have shops that outright said they'll help me advertise and sell them for a cut

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe uld be best? My goal is to culture pods to sell in whatever quantities i can manage...tbh i don't have a lot of competition here and have shops that outright said they'll help me advertise and sell them for a cut
Not sure what F2 is but any decent nitrate plant fertiliser should do.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I'm setting up my first copepod cultures (Tigger pods) and am trying to decide which of these two techniques to use as a beginner. The first one I've researched simply involves adding phytoplankton to the culture container and seems to be the most popular. The second technique is one that a very helpful member here told me about which involves just putting a banana peel in the water for several days or so until the water turns green as a food source. Ideally, I'd like to use small open tanks containers a window to provide light for the phyto instead of using closed containers and artificial light sources. As for phytoplankton, i don't have access to all the algae barn products (and many other popular companies) but what i do have access to are mixtures of phytoplankton species such as Seachem Reef Phytoplankton and a couple local brands of questionable quality. I know nannochloropsis is usually the preferred phyto and these mixes contain at least some of it or i could order one of Brightwells products that's all nannochloropsis but it would be a little pricey for shipping here. Is it worth it to get pure nanno or even really that beneficial if i go the traditional route adding Phytoplankton to the culture? Any and all thoughts are appreciated as long as they're constructive...thanks guys!
Nanno is ok but it doesn't contain enough EPA,DHA to get your copepods to maximum nutritional value . For that you really need to head over onto the brown Algea side . The Iso strains are relatively easy to culture if you can combine that with Nanno then your working with something.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back