Thrashed's 65 gallon disaster rebuild

Thrashed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had this tank running pretty easy with just a pair of clowns in it for about 10 years now. No issues, just water changes every month or so and that was it. Until I decided to move it out to my office in my shop (where I spend about 15 hours a day). This is where the fun started. So I drained the tank and got it moved out here and set back up in all of about 3 hours. Tank move was super easy and fish loved being out here with me more those first few days.

116377693_2698059133746466_674466537106394936_n.jpg

OP
OP
Thrashed

Thrashed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On day 6 I seen a bit of water under the trim on the bottom of the tank and wiped it off, just assuming I had left a little dripping from the glass. Well I was wrong later that night as I was getting ready to close up for the night, I noticed a lot more water and the wood on the stand was a little wet. Fast forward to day 15 of the tank being in my shop, the water had slowly started to disappear under the trim. I thought maybe my power heads was just splashing water out and it had finally settled and was good. Wrong again, about 2pm that day the whole tank blew out, so here I am trying to gather my clowns and throw them in the sump to keep them alive. Ran to my lfs to find they had 1 65 tall left in stock only problem was it was a corner overflow instead of a center overflow. No big deal I grabbed it and went about my way to get my tank set back up. Next morning I get in my office and start getting it ready, mistake number 1 (trying to set it all back up alone). I had to do some cutting on my stand to make the new tank work. Final cut and get ready to set the tank on it and dropped the drill and shattered my sump. So now I'm rushing to grab my poor fish again out of the floor to throw them into a bucket of new water I had just mixed for the new tank (sadly they didn't make it through this). So now I'm pretty much starting a brand new tank all over again. So I take the time to play around a little bit, I try out a few new lights and powerheads along the way just trying to find what I like. Now we are almost 6 months into the new tank with my 4th sump under it (because clearly I'm cursed with sumps at this point) and all is finally coming together. This past week I finally added my ATO as well as found my aquascape I have been looking for in it again, and added my very first reactor. 15+ years in the hobby and finally broke down and bought a gfo/carbon reactor ;Woot. I'll post some pics of it now and more to come, I'm in the middle of trying to find room to set up a 29 gallon display fuge beside it (because I have a 29 gallon with matching stand and canopy and wife said no more tanks)

OP
OP
Thrashed

Thrashed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fighting diatoms pretty hard right now. Phosphates have been pretty steady at 0 the past month but nitrates keep bouncing from 60-120. So been fighting my battles of having to set the tank up with all new everything. But I’m glad it happened when it did after the move instead of staying nice and me having it stocked by now and it blowing out

CC075B3A-1459-4320-ADBC-0288CCC7BE3B.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back