Three Healthy Meals a day?

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start off with saying I have a larger tank - 340 gallon display (6ft by 3ft wide, by 31" tall) and a 75 gallon sump.

I have around 20 fish, most of them larger. A Caribbean blue tang that's easily 8-10" around. A Dragon Wrasse that's probably 8 inches long and a Creole Male Anthia that is approaching 8-9Inches long.

So... In the last few days I've noticed agression increasing day by day between the male Creole Anthia and the Dragon Wrasse. I think because the Anthia is starting to surpass the Dragon Wrasse in Size. Both are super duper aggressive when it comes to feeding. The Anthia has actually wrapped his mouth around my finger and has a couple teeth. The Dragon Wrasse actually has teeth as well.

I usually feed 1 sheet of nori in the morning with the creole anthia eats some of. And then 1 frozen meal in the evening of high quality (Costco) frozen meats mixed with amino acids and Selcon (home made food).

I feed heavy 1-2 oz per day. However I noticed yesterday that the Dragon Wrasse and Anthia were fighting and it was a true dog fight. The Dragon wrasse was trying to bite the side of the Anthia and the Anthia turned around and they both locked mouths throwing each other around until the Anthia gave up and swam off... The Dragon Wrasse lifts rocks all day, and the anthia just swims in one spot most of the day. So, my money is on the Dragon wrasse winning if it comes to a fight to the death. (Not at all what I want! )

So, my question is really around I believe the aggression is food. The anthia needs more and pretty much eats 80-90% of the food I feed in the evening. He'll eat around 2oz of frozen food by himself. The rest of the larger fish get the scraps. I think, my plan is to start feeding frozen twice a day. (Thankfully I work remotely and am able to do this). I also have an auto feeder where I feed pellets and flake 4 times a day. The Anthia's gobble those up as well... Almost like they're candy.

I don't know fish psychology... 3 things could be going on:
1. Now that the anthia is outgrowing the Dragon wrasse (could get as large as 11-14" long) is he simply showing dominance (who's boss, not trying to kill each other.

2. Is it due to food constraints (I'm not feeding enough), How do I feed more without some type of auto frozen food feeder?

3. Is it due to, simply the two fish hate each other now because they either look too similar or personalities changed.

I'm thinking it's #2 and a little bit of #1. The Creole Anthia pair have been fairly peaceful with all inhabitants up to this point. They don't bother the tangs, the CBB, or clown fish at all. Is there any type of plug in play auto frozen food feeder on the market yet. I'm tracking one that's had setback after set back and could be ready in 2-3 years. But, I need one now... Lol. I'd feed 10 times a day if it reduced aggression and kept them healthy...

And yes, the Creole anthia has several bite marks across it's body and puncture woods where the teeth of the Dragon wrasse actually sunk in. He's nursing his wounds now some.. Hanging out in his own spot with the female creole Anthia. Hurt pride for now... He heals really fast though. Within 3-4 days you wouldn't notice anything more than a scratch if that.

I may need to rehome them, but, I love the creole anthias and the dragon wrasse (well, I have a love hate relationship with the dragon wrasse.... He's relocated far too many of my corals...)

Suggestions for easy to do auto frozen feeder or taming a fish feud is what I'm looking for.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest aggressor here is body shape, they are similar and probably chunky at that based off of what you feed. More than likely this will end up with your anthias dead. They arent nearly as durable as a dragon wrasse. It seems like you are feeding enough this is just territorial/ similar body type aggression.

Think of this like some tangs and angels/wrasses, some just dont mix well because they are similar shaped.

I doubt it will end with the dragon wrasse outright killing the anthias, more likely a wound will get infected and the infection/ stress will kill the anthias.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I think it could be food related is because the Anthia takes a huge chunk of food in his mouth and the dragon wrasse chases it around the tank trying to literally steal the food from the Anthia's mouth. He's never had a food competitor that would take huge chunks of food in his mouth at once. (That was the Dragon Wrasse's job before the anthia was large enough to take whole swallows of food).

And the anthia steals as much food as he can and the wrasse is left with not much, much less than he's used to. He could just be antagonizing the dragon wrasse... If you're going to keep beating me up, I'm going to eat your food? LOL

Last edited:

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always worth a try to increase your feeding and see if that alleviates the problem any.

Back