Three option macro growing

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got the indo-pacific sea farms refugium starter kit which came with 4 macros. My tank is a 40B with a 29G sump and im not running a skimmer.
  • Grape Caulerpa (will attach to substrate)
  • Chaetomorpha (Chaeto) (will form a fast-growing, floating mass)
  • Tang Heaven Red (Gracilaria) (will form a floating mat)
  • Tang Heaven Green (Ulva) (will form a floating mat)
My sump currently have a fuge with a 3x turnover rate after the return with a par28 fuge bulb, an unused skimmer section on the drain with a faster flow rate (8x) and a DIY chaeto reactor with RGBW leds I can tone the spectrum and flow rate (3x-10x). I am trying to determine where I should place each macro or if I should toss one of them. I am trying to get a mandarin at some point and have a low bioload currently but will likely increase it. Any advice on placement

IMG_3222.JPG

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard they can out compete each other. Also space in the fuge is relatively small 9"x11.5"x12.5" and drain section is 10.5"x11.5"x9". Should I utilize the drain section or is redundant because it is feeding the reactor and fuge.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have any issues putting them together in the fuge.

I wouldn't worry about competition, especially if your nutrient levels are good (at least a few ppm nitrate and detectable phosphate). I've never seen it in either of my tanks, one of which is a 30 gallon filled with different species of macro, or heard of it in other tanks. I think that's more of a nuisance algae vs macroalgae thing or potentially a reef myth! Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You can put them in the drain section if you want, I see no reason not to. Whether macros are in the fuge or not, they're still filtering the water.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have any issues putting them together in the fuge.

I wouldn't worry about competition, especially if your nutrient levels are good (at least a few ppm nitrate and detectable phosphate). I've never seen it in either of my tanks, one of which is a 30 gallon filled with different species of macro, or heard of it in other tanks. I think that's more of a nuisance algae vs macroalgae thing or potentially a reef myth! Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You can put them in the drain section if you want, I see no reason not to. Whether macros are in the fuge or not, they're still filtering the water.
I appreciate the advice! First time dealing with macros and refugiums so didn't want to cause any issues with it.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back