OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend changing out their stock Gate valve. That thing was the biggest pain in the butt for the first year I ran mine. Once I changed it I was so much happier with the whole setup. I was having to mess with it almost daily at times, If I was lucky for stretch maybe a week.
Thanks! I was considering letting it slide for a while. Looks like I will have something to do tonight and be able to use the adapters I bought.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like you, I recently set up a new tank and wanted to make maintenance easier. Im a sceptical person and tend to keep things simple but ended up going with two compact rollermats and setting up a dose for auto waterchanges (my "new to me" tank came with an apex.) Both have made a HUGE difference in my enjoyment of the tank along with the apex. The main thing the apex does is give ne piece of mind for leak detection or notifying me if something really out of wack. And the graphing, etc. Just makes life easier. The other thing the tank came with was a jaebo doser. Having a 4 head doser has made life so much easier and tank more successful compared to hand dosing. For the 80 bucks or whatever they cost i should have added one to old tabk ages ago! Just a few suggestions or encouragement.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I can use a little of both, I think auto top-off and Water change will be the biggest relief.

Those things for sure to start off. Id say look at the rollermats as well. Not neccessary, but definitely makes things easier and worth the cost to me for that. Also, maybe look for a used apex classic (since people wanting the trident need to upgrade.) Well worth the price u can pick one up at used (if u dont want the trident of course.)

Im looking forward to seeing your tank finished! Keep posting pics please.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my E-260, I have the stock gate valve set in one spot and just do minute adjustments to my Vectra S1, (DC pumps are great!), to keep the water level steady in the rear. I'm only having to do it when I feed every 3 days.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say look at the rollermats as well
Just a quick update. Its been a little slow going but I am chipping away. The plumbing is a real challenge, the adapters sold on reefing sites suck! no other way to say it. Thin plastic that are sized to insert into a fitting and not to adapt piping. So I cruzed the web and found the only site that had a description and the specs to make a informed purchase.
FlexPVC was the site. @BRS needs to step up and just carry the basics fittings for these imports. Some one does ;)
1032096-49dc29e611551fdac76634e607767e2f.jpg

So wile waiting for fittings I Put the Clarisea together, If I didn't steal the thing for $229 I would have alot more to share about the assemble:mad: PITA. Now I need to figure a way to place it in the RedSea sump. A fella on You Tube cut out the sock holders and baffles in his sump, Im still in the air on placement. Regardless I need to build a platform to elevate the filter. One Job leads to another:confused:
20190613_200105.jpg
20190613_200909.jpg 20190613_200937.jpg 20190613_201054.jpg
I also got the lighting supports done, Will be using My existing Hybrid bolted directly to the horizontal struts. Dave @AquaticLifeProducts is graciously sending the fasteners to make that happen, Thanks Dave.
I used that thing in the last pic to make the back connection, By installing that first and tightening, it springs the struts upward, hopefully it will level out when the lights are installed. Thats the plan:cool:
Jumping on the plumbing next....:confused:

20190614_203945.jpg
14132_photo_1.png

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrolling through this thread reminds me of paging through the Christmas edition of the Sears catalog. (I guess this dates me.) I'm looking forward to seeing more.
I remember the Dream or Wish Book! we always fought over who got it next.
Well I finally started plumbing and am am not going to get too fancy, I placed a tee into the drain to feed the clarisea or the filter socks. I learned on my last system that I will probably go back to socks for one reason or anther. Next is the return header and then Aquascaping and water. I also started getting my dimensions for all my electronics and while doing so I noticed the little quality seals on my GHL director was open and cut,
I hate that!
It says "DO NOT ACCEPT "Now what? so I opened the shipping box that my controller came in and @Ditto , same thing. Both of these units were dropped shipped from GHL and both have cut tags and then new tags that have been opened ...Whats the use? Moving on I picked up some PVC board and will be building a shelving/rack/dosing-container/electronics thing-a-mi-rigger that will take up the side cabinet.
Its beginning to look like Christmas ;)...before I'm done. A week of stay-cation is sounding good.
20190619_194420.jpg

20190619_194439.jpg

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cool: lookin good siggy! just hopped on the ghl train too! bought a maxi doser for water changes
Thanks, Where you been hiding, and how did your system turn out?
I have been using the 2.1 for awhile and like it so I made the jump.

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
system chuggin along! killed a handfull of sps about 6 months ago... kinda took the wind out my sails, but we are back on track with a renewed interest in the tank. got my fish list complete and all are happy and healthy! been working on a psuedo fish room i.e water closet for my AWC . guess i should update my thread lol

you staying apex for control or switching to GHL altogether? nevermind just saw the ekoral in the pic!

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything new, different or exciting going on?
plumbing the transition from metric to std was a pain, You would think the big all knowing reef shops would have a kit to simplify things, thats about it, Life has been getting in the way, so Im not going to push it.
@Elder1945 has a modular electronics rack coming out soon and I can't compete with a CNC so will see were that leads.
thanks for stopping in.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks! I went with the white cabinet and thinking about trimming out the doors with the same molding as the wainscot. I am slammed with work and the 75 gallon is sick so this is going slow. Hope to pick it up soon
YES! I like the trim idea. Keep it all classic.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back