Throughout your years in the hobby - how many fish have you lost during shipping...?

Throughout your years in the hobby - how many fish have you lost during shipping...?

• Total voters

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to not lose many but last few years, more doa then I feel there should be, not the best packing or best specimens sent generally was the cause.

The last fish I ordered was one of the healthiest I have purchased in a long time (from FisHotel and was basically eating right out of the bag)

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I lost quite a few from Live Aquaria the last time I ordered, probably 40% so I decided not to order anymore from their CA facility.

However, I have ordered seahorses from both Hawaii, (Ocean Rider) and Florida (Seahorse Source) and never lost a single one and I have ordered fish from KP Aquatics and never lost any.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back before the pandemic when you could actually count on delivery companies to honor their delivery schedules, I lost maybe 5%. They were mostly due to poor specimens being shipped.

Since the pandemic and shipping is all messed up, I've stopped ordering any livestock online. Missing boxes, shipments lost in the hub, packages that originated in my home state to only be sent 5 states down, then back to my state, etc, etc.

Shipping livestock is not what it used to be.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overnight door to door shipments are very risky in the winter. Direct air cargo flights are always faster and cheaper.
Jay

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't ordered fish shipped to me in quite a while but I don't remember ever have a doa. Nems on the other hand I will no longer have shipped to me. Tried twice and both times they were doa. I have a good saltwater only lfs that I use. I let the owner now what I want and if he can sourse them I go to the store and get them when they arrive and still bagged. I figure its less stress on the fish and the owner gives me good prices because it removes the risk of the fish dying while under his care.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back