Will it work?

• Total voters

Canuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I can’t seem to find anything online, so I thought I post and see others thoughts.

I have a 13.5 evo brackish water setup with a figure 8, couple of mollies and Bumblebee Gobies. (1.01 SG)

I’ve recently put some Cheato from my main tank in there, and it’s still too early to comment if it’s going to do wel. But I was also thinking about putting some copepod (tiger and Apex because they are available at my lfs). Has anyone tried this in brackish water? If so what was the results?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity will be too low for them. They will go through osmotic shock and die. You can use them to feed the fish, but at that point you will do better to get frozen, as it will be cheaper and you will get much more.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen freshwater copepods offered for sale. Not sure how much salt they can tolerate. Might want to check this out.

OP
OP
Canuck

Canuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity will be too low for them. They will go through osmotic shock and die. You can use them to feed the fish, but at that point you will do better to get frozen, as it will be cheaper and you will get much more.
Have you every tried it? Everything I read is they are supper hardy

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt waste the money buying a bottle to try, but I would definately pull a small rubble rock from my other tank and put it in the brack water, see what happens. I've been able to create an entire mixed copepod culture from just one tiny piece of rubble, they are super resilient.

I bet you some of them would live, maybe not a thriving population, but i would bet some can make the transition.

If you try I hope you update this thread, would be interesting to know.

OP
OP
Canuck

Canuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt waste the money buying a bottle to try, but I would definately pull a small rubble rock from my other tank and put it in the brack water, see what happens. I've been able to create an entire mixed copepod culture from just one tiny piece of rubble, they are super resilient.

I bet you some of them would live, maybe not a thriving population, but i would bet some can make the transition.

If you try I hope you update this thread, would be interesting to know.
I’m going to buy some for my main display, but I’ll try adding some to the brackish tank.

have you ever seen Cheato in low salinity? Mine has been in there for 2 days, and seems to be doing ok.

OP
OP
Canuck

Canuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update… I haven’t added any copepods. My LFS is having issues getting them. The Chaeto is doing good, just not growing as fast.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back