Tiger pistol shrimp and yasha goby pair?

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a tiger pistol shrimp and its YWG buddy unfortunately died during a parasitic outbreak.

At the end of the fallow period I'd like to get another goby for the shrimp, but I was thinking about getting a yasha goby instead of a YWG this time.

Would a yasha pair with a tiger pistol? I'd like to keep the pistol, so if a yasha doesn't work what other gobies work?

Thanks guys :]

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen it on here, but generally yashas pair better with candy canes. You’d have better luck with a cryptocentrus or amblyeliotris goby. That said, even amblyeliotris have better success with candy canes as well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a tiger pistol shrimp and its YWG buddy unfortunately died during a parasitic outbreak.

At the end of the fallow period I'd like to get another goby for the shrimp, but I was thinking about getting a yasha goby instead of a YWG this time.

Would a yasha pair with a tiger pistol? I'd like to keep the pistol, so if a yasha doesn't work what other gobies work?

Thanks guys :]
I would personally stick to another Cryptocentrus species, these guys are slightly larger and don’t risk a chance of being picked at by their pairing shrimp whilst the smaller species in Amblyeleotris and Stonogobiops do risk this.

Also I’ve found it’s more often you find Amblyeleotris and Stonogobiops with Alpheus randalli than you do Alpheus bellulus in the wild.

scottkoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. i went through the reverse about a year ago - had a Yasha/Tiger pair but i lost the Yasha decided to add a YWG and it paired up with the tiger almost immediately. But now they just dump sand all over my corals :rolleyes:

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen it on here, but generally yashas pair better with candy canes. You’d have better luck with a cryptocentrus or amblyeliotris goby. That said, even amblyeliotris have better success with candy canes as well.
Dang, really? I do have a candy cane/hi fin goby pair in a separate tank and thought it'd be pretty cool to have a yasha with a tiger.

What do you think the chances for a tiger/yasha pair is?

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. i went through the reverse about a year ago - had a Yasha/Tiger pair but i lost the Yasha decided to add a YWG and it paired up with the tiger almost immediately. But now they just dump sand all over my corals :rolleyes:
You seem to be the diamond in the rough for yasha and tiger shrimp lol. How did these two pair up?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, really? I do have a candy cane/hi fin goby pair in a separate tank and thought it'd be pretty cool to have a yasha with a tiger.

What do you think the chances for a tiger/yasha pair is?
My only experience is with a tiger and aurora goby that did not pair in over a year together…
It’s possible depending on how they are introduced, but most times it seems to not work and there is a risk involved for the smaller goby.

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only experience is with a tiger and aurora goby that did not pair in over a year together…
It’s possible depending on how they are introduced, but most times it seems to not work and there is a risk involved for the smaller goby.
Aw, okay.

Are there any other bigger shrimp gobies (like the YWG) that you'd suggest with a tiger? If not then I guess I'll just get another YWG for the little guy :]

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally stick to another Cryptocentrus species, these guys are slightly larger and don’t risk a chance of being picked at by their pairing shrimp whilst the smaller species in Amblyeleotris and Stonogobiops do risk this.

Also I’ve found it’s more often you find Amblyeleotris and Stonogobiops with Alpheus randalli than you do Alpheus bellulus in the wild.
I see. What cryptocentrus species pair best with tigers then? I just think it'd be cool to try out a different fish that isn't a YWG, ya know?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. What cryptocentrus species pair best with tigers then? I just think it'd be cool to try out a different fish that isn't a YWG, ya know?
Cryptocentrus cinctus is the best to go for as it’s the easiest to find but if you don’t mind the hunt then;
Cryptocentus leptocephalus
Cryptocentrus pavoninoides
Cryptocentrus albidorsus
Cryptocentrus fasciatus

This is just a few to start with and if you don’t find any you enjoy the look of I can give more ideas :)

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cryptocentrus cinctus is the best to go for as it’s the easiest to find but if you don’t mind the hunt then;
Cryptocentrus albidorsus
Cryptocentrus fasciatus

This is just a few to start with and if you don’t find any you enjoy the look of I can give more ideas :)
They all seem pretty dope! What other ideas you got? I don't mind a hunt for a fish I really want lol

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cryptocentrus albidorsus
Cryptocentrus fasciatus

Hey, I know this thread is a little old, but I am trying to put together a pistol shrimp+goby pair I haven't decided on either yet. I was trying to get 2 rather rare species of each since they would be pretty much the only livestock I have in my tank so they would be the crown jewel lol.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I know this thread is a little old, but I am trying to put together a pistol shrimp+goby pair I haven't decided on either yet. I was trying to get 2 rather rare species of each since they would be pretty much the only livestock I have in my tank so they would be the crown jewel lol.
How big is your tank?

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try looking for a Lotilia gracilliosa and Alpheus rubromaculatus. They’re fairly rare in terms of a goby/pistol shrimp duo IME.
How would I even go about acquiring these lol they look super sick, just don't know how to go about finding these kinds of things if that makes sense. Would just checking LFS be the thing I want to do? Or more specialty dealers online be the method?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I even go about acquiring these lol they look super sick, just don't know how to go about finding these kinds of things if that makes sense. Would just checking LFS be the thing I want to do? Or more specialty dealers online be the method?
Honestly, keeping in touch with LFSs and getting them to search for them is the easiest way I’ve found to acquire most rare fish. Also going to collectors and other fairly rare obtaining sites is another way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back