Tile Sea star injured?!?! Help!

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
So my Tile Sea Star was acclimated perfectly and placed into my display tank today. Climbing around, I left the room for a few hours and came back to this! Was the starfish attacked by another fish, or what is going on here?!
Thanks

7E636147-30E3-4DDC-AED3-1DC9E23138CA.jpeg

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish will go after starfish but usually is a pretty rare thing. What are the fish in your tank? Tank Parameters? How old is your tank?

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish will go after starfish but usually is a pretty rare thing. What are the fish in your tank? Tank Parameters? How old is your tank?
Thank you for the reply. My tank is a 120G currently stocked with:
1 Yellow Tang
1 PBrT
1 Hippo Tang
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
1 Flasher Wrasse
1 Leopard Wrasse
2 Occellaris Clowns
1 Spot Foxface

Water Parameters are as follows:
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10
PH 8.3
Alk 10.1
Phosphate .1

Tank is up and running for 5 months now

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. My tank is a 120G currently stocked with:
1 Yellow Tang
1 PBrT
1 Hippo Tang
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
1 Flasher Wrasse
1 Leopard Wrasse
2 Occellaris Clowns
1 Spot Foxface

Water Parameters are as follows:
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10
PH 8.3
Alk 10.1
Phosphate .1

Tank is up and running for 5 months now

I'm not sure it is a fish as those fish don't eat starfish. 5 months is young for a starfish to be in as they usually won't do well with a newer tanks parameters and less food for them. How did it look like in acclimation and how did you acclimate it? Usually starfish melt away when they die so this may be an early sign of that.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure it is a fish as those fish don't eat starfish. 5 months is young for a starfish to be in as they usually won't do well with a newer tanks parameters and less food for them. How did it look like in acclimation and how did you acclimate it? Usually starfish melt away when they die so this may be an early sign of that.
Fwiw starfish usually don't do well in mature established tanks either. Best left in the ocean

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw starfish usually don't do well in mature established tanks either. Best left in the ocean

While true some starfish will thrive in tanks taken care of experts but I have to agree either best left to experts or the ocean.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed the spot is no longer there? It must have closed up. Check it out I guess I’ll just keep an eye out

9EC490C5-3E48-49F1-8F8F-3D4D65B23F63.jpeg

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a lengthy drip acclimation too

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While true some starfish will thrive in tanks taken care of experts but I have to agree either best left to experts or the ocean.
I suppose your right, an expert at an aquarium that is pumping water straight out of the ocean could be successful. The problem is that for the majority of starfish, their care requirements aren't yet known to us

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Woke up to the same thing on a different leg of the starfish. I can not seem to find any explanation to this online

Attachments

• 74165FC1-4A74-4E76-B4C1-116F8893BC24.jpeg
    74165FC1-4A74-4E76-B4C1-116F8893BC24.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I can’t really tell actually he could have spun himself. Now it looks like pieces are coming off of him and into the tank, it’s amazing how I can’t find any information on this online.
@Jay Hemdal Do you have any knowledge of this?

Attachments

• 5238DB9E-9E55-43DF-85D9-CEC9A9B0935F.jpeg
    5238DB9E-9E55-43DF-85D9-CEC9A9B0935F.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 138

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I can’t really tell actually he could have spun himself. Now it looks like pieces are coming off of him and into the tank, it’s amazing how I can’t find any information on this online.
He's most likely melting away due to improper conditions or acclimation

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - starfish are not my forte, I'm more of a fish guy. I mean, I've killed my fair share of stars over the years, but that doesn't help you (grin).

One thing I have seen cause bumps like this is air trapped under the arms that then pulls and breaks through the skin. Was this star ever exposed to air? Funny thing about stars - some, that live along shore can handle being out of the water, crashing waves, etc., but deeper water ones cannot handle air at all.

I'm not sure what this species eats, and that can be a challenge with some stars.

Jay

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - starfish are not my forte, I'm more of a fish guy. I mean, I've killed my fair share of stars over the years, but that doesn't help you (grin).

One thing I have seen cause bumps like this is air trapped under the arms that then pulls and breaks through the skin. Was this star ever exposed to air? Funny thing about stars - some, that live along shore can handle being out of the water, crashing waves, etc., but deeper water ones cannot handle air at all.

I'm not sure what this species eats, and that can be a challenge with some stars.

Jay
Thank you anyway I figured I’ve give it a shot since you always gave great information! This species actually an algae eater not a meat either as I gathered from my research. Yes it was exposed to air for a few seconds on the transfer to the DT, I did not know any other way to accomplish this without having to expose to air unfortunately

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you anyway I figured I’ve give it a shot since you always gave great information! This species actually an algae eater not a meat either as I gathered from my research. Yes it was exposed to air for a few seconds on the transfer to the DT, I did not know any other way to accomplish this without having to expose to air unfortunately
How'd this work out for you? Mine has the smallest little bit of damage. It almost looks like something nipped at it. I'm just really worried about it getting worse.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How'd this work out for you? Mine has the smallest little bit of damage. It almost looks like something nipped at it. I'm just really worried about it getting worse.
Not good at all. Within 3 days after this post, starfish was completely disintegrated. I see why they are difficult to keep in aquariums never mind being fairly new to the hobby. I won’t attempt another one until my tank is established for a few years

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not good at all. Within 3 days after this post, starfish was completely disintegrated. I see why they are difficult to keep in aquariums never mind being fairly new to the hobby. I won’t attempt another one until my tank is established for a few years
Ah, bummer. Thanks for the update, though.

Mine has just the tiniest spot, so I'm hoping it heals on its own.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not alone. My only attempt at keeping a tile starfish ended the same way after only a couple of days.

I've had the most luck with this blue linkia, which I've had for 3 months now. But he spends 99% of his time like this.

IMG_20210421_125409615~2.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back