Time for a upgrade!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a pair of AI Sol Blues on my SPS dominant Mixed reef 120. They've been on the tank since I set it up in 2013. Settings are 48W/65B/65RB. A couple of the LED's have failed on each, and my birthday is coming up. My wife has given me the go-ahead for new lighting. I'm looking at Radions although I will consider other options as well. Looking at the specs, a pair of XR15 pro's seem like a close match to the sol's, but if I'm going to upgrade, well, I should maybe take the opportunity to actually upgrade! Would a pair of XR30 G4 pros be overkill?

All opinions welcome!!!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a pair of AI Sol Blues on my SPS dominant Mixed reef 120. They've been on the tank since I set it up in 2013. Settings are 48W/65B/65RB. A couple of the LED's have failed on each, and my birthday is coming up. My wife has given me the go-ahead for new lighting. I'm looking at Radions although I will consider other options as well. Looking at the specs, a pair of XR15 pro's seem like a close match to the sol's, but if I'm going to upgrade, well, I should maybe take the opportunity to actually upgrade! Would a pair of XR30 G4 pros be overkill?

All opinions welcome!!!
A pair of xr30s over a 120 would not be overkill at all. I would almost think two xr15s wouldn't be enough.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you can go wrong with xr30s. If your budget allows it this would definitely be an upgrade. I have not used them but have researched them quite a bit, and not many have anything negative to say about them, aside from price. If $ was unlimited, these are the lights I would have on my system. Based on price and value, I am highly considering reef breeders photon v2. I really like the design, as they are built to cover more area. Another option would be to keep your leds, and add in some t5s to get the benefits of both types of lighting.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the XR30s would not be overkill IMO. I upgraded from AI Sol Blues about 6 months ago to Reefbreeders Photon V2+ and could not be happier. Check them out as they will save you a lot of coin that can be used for new coral

lifeguard101284

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The xr30s would not be overkill at all on a 120 if you watch the video on BRStv about lighting you will see they put 4 on a 120 and turned them down because par was off the charts high but very even coverage. You could also look at ai hydra 26hd or the orepheck atlantik leds.

OP
OP
Billdogg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input so far! I really don't want to use T5 just because I don't want to mess with changing bulbs. But then I went from 20+ years of T12VHO straight to LED :cool:

The XR15's seemed a bit less than I'm looking for to me too. I figure it's way easier to turn more powerful lights down (and better for them) than it is to max out lights that would be "enough".

As for cost - I'll be using $$$ that I've made from a few different commissioned pieces from the woodshop and some of my meager winnings at the poker table. The other option is a lathe, but I just don't have room for one right now.

1PhatReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All opinions welcome!!!
Are your sols for sale ?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back