Time to frag or sell?

Jhoussock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m a year and a half into the hobby and recently realized how grown in my tank has become. I’m scared to frag my torches, hammers, and frogspawns In fear of damaging them. However I have researched and feel like I can handle the task if need be. I’m on my own in the hobby so don’t have any one to come help me frag and swap... What’s my best bet here? Should I just sell them to my lfs and purchase new smaller corals or should I frag them down in size and look for some credit with the leftovers from my lfs? Any other options? Any good recourses to frag using a dremil tool would be helpful as well. Thanks! Pics of before and after attached. Tank was purchased used and established at around 2 years old. Now is about 3.5 years.

28CB48BE-7425-4F00-9A1A-E2A97A81AF9E.jpeg 14DB7F23-3282-49A5-9120-A1B896844393.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jhoussock

Jhoussock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I expect for them? I know it depends on a lot of variables but like should I just look at lfs prices and knock some off that? Usually the frags are single headed at my lfs so how rare is something with say 6 heads? I would say the larger ones easily have 20 heads ...

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only speak from personal experience regarding credit. If I get 10.00 credit on something from a LFS, then they will usually sell it for a minimum of 50.00.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! I dont know if I would want to disturb it if nothing is posing a threat to nearby tankmates! Secondly my LFS would generally give me better credit towards dry goods since they kind of have to have them however most collect dust due to people buying more online. If memory serves me correctly, I traded some hammers and 15-20 FL ricordeas and in return got a BNIB $350 ASM skimmer for $100..... and yes it was a good while back if you couldn't tell by the ASM skimmer reference.

U

User1

View Badges
The side hustle is a odd one to be in. What route is your goal? Returning to your LFS is going to be hit or miss depending on how they can move the product, what they charge, and the discount they pay you. Sometimes it is a good option if you are buying or saving for something. If you go this route do not be afraid to say um, no. Higher.

Conscientious hobbyist well that is another story in which case you can trade one for one, give away because you are clipping them like shrubs or mowing a lawn and have plenty, or offer for a couple bucks for your time and spread golden bombs of light and love. Everybody has done this once or twice or that is all they do. I've given away 5 or so rose bubble tips nems but have not given away any frags (not mature enough).

Side hustle is when you sell a frag that is more than what you would get for credit yet less than what a retailer would pay. For example I recently purchased a Duncan frag for $25 dollars. 1 head. Usually from fellow hobbyists those go for around $7 or so and 2 or more heads. I went with an aquaculture company and I was already placing an order but you can see how a fellow hobbyist is cheaper or you get more for the price. Sometimes this is a good common ground.

Lastly - we are all different. The hobby as a whole can be somewhat self sustaining by sharing our frags after trimming. I think it will come down to the hobbyist on what they feel comfortable with. Quid pro quo is a hot topic these days in the new buzz feed(s) so see what works for you.

Best of luck and you have a nice tank btw. Have a grand weekend!

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also frag and sell at a local Fragswap as a "hobbyist" or road trip to the annual Pittsburgh 3RMAS fragswap :

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back