Time to Get Serious (Red Sea Reefer 250 Build)

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Update:
I have been battling an algae that I have never seen before, and after reaching out to multiple communities, someone of R2R finally gave a positive ID, Caldophoropsis.

image0.jpeg

It started by being an isolated patch and has since taken over an entire rock structure and is starting to spread to the other rocks throughout the tank. After doing some research for treatment, it seems that this is worse than Bryopsis...which is not good.

@Xero has suggested using API Algaefix. I have put in an order for the product and will follow the instructions on the packaging. I will report my results.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life/Tank Update:
Our beautiful tank will be going through a move this year. My wife found out that she got a new position at a sister property. Our new apartment will be less than 200 yards away from out current location.

I have a few months to start getting a plan together, but I'm certain Brute trash cans will be utilized to store enough "fresh" saltwater to do multiple water changes after the move. I want to limit the chances of starting a mini cycle.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae Update:
It has been 10 days since I dosed ReefFlux and I am starting to see some progress. The algae is starting to turn white and is thinning out. I use a turkey baster to blow off the rocks every morning which has been removing the dead algae. Today I did my first dose of API AlgaeFix as a final blow to the algae.

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall Update:
I have successfully beat the algae that has been taking over my rock. Since the die off of all the algae, I have seen my phosphates spike, which has been producing Cyano blooms. My last test showed them at 0.25ppm. I have done a 10 gallon water change and have added PhosGuard to my filter sock in attempts to lower the phosphates. My refugium will also be getting running. I finally was able to secure clean Chaeto and some pods from AlgaeBarn. This should help keep my nutrients in check.

I added some new corals to the tank. A local coral dealer hooked me up with the following:
- Gold Hammer (walling)
- Aqua Hammer (walling)
- Octospawn (walling
- Wolverine Favia
They are still getting adjusted to their new home, but here are a couple pics of the new corals and a few that were showing off last night.

60954256796__96B486A5-9CB0-417D-9EA6-51D2736155A9.JPG

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

Pablopufferfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall Update:
I have successfully beat the algae that has been taking over my rock. Since the die off of all the algae, I have seen my phosphates spike, which has been producing Cyano blooms. My last test showed them at 0.25ppm. I have done a 10 gallon water change and have added PhosGuard to my filter sock in attempts to lower the phosphates. My refugium will also be getting running. I finally was able to secure clean Chaeto and some pods from AlgaeBarn. This should help keep my nutrients in check.

I added some new corals to the tank. A local coral dealer hooked me up with the following:
- Gold Hammer (walling)
- Aqua Hammer (walling)
- Octospawn (walling
- Wolverine Favia
They are still getting adjusted to their new home, but here are a couple pics of the new corals and a few that were showing off last night.

60954256796__96B486A5-9CB0-417D-9EA6-51D2736155A9.JPG

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg
Nice!
Following.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to put my female clownfish in timeout as she decided to bully my male clown. They have been together for 5 months with zero issues. They slept in the same torch coral every night, but today something happened. I'll keep her in there for a few days and see if things calm down.

Last edited:

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AwildcatsZ this thread is great !!! Although I'm no expert, with your female clown pestering your male, I read a book about breeding clowns. My knowledge is hazy as it's been about 10 years since I read the book but when the female is doing that a lot she has some eggs ready to lay.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AwildcatsZ this thread is great !!! Although I'm no expert, with your female clown pestering your male, I read a book about breeding clowns. My knowledge is hazy as it's been about 10 years since I read the book but when the female is doing that a lot she has some eggs ready to lay.
Well this is interesting. Before she began chasing and pinning the male into a corner she has been occupying a new part of the tank. I thought this was weird because she typically never leaves the torch coral. She would still sleep in it at night, but during the day she would stay behind a corner of the rock work. Maybe this was her way of telling him this is a good spot for a nest?

I guess I was just afraid that she would do some permanent damage to the male due to the drastic size difference. I plan to let her out of timeout on Monday to see if that helped calm things down.

Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through the whole thread - very impressive build and your care for the tank is on a very high level! I cringe at the power loss issue and it also reinforces me needing to move a generator or other battery source way up my list.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my third reef tank over the 15+ years I have been in the hobby, but this one will be special. Heck, this one already is special!

Background:
My current tank is a standard 29 gallon, Aqueon aquarium that my then girlfriend and I won at the MAX Aquarium Expo in 2016. We spent time building this into a reef aquarium with all HOB equipment. After suffering a minor crash a year and a half ago (didn't change the DI resin), the tank has bounced back and is better than ever!
IMG_0022.JPG
Fast forward to Christmas 2018... My now fiance and I were attending our local marine aquarium club's Holiday Party. Our club puts on a tremendous party with an amazing raffle. We had been discussing upgrading to a larger, more high tech aquarium in 2019, and happened to see that one of the raffle prizes was a Red Sea Reefer 250. We joked and said we will purchase $140 worth of raffle tickets and put the majority into that bucket...well wouldn't you know it, we won! It was the best feeling in the world! One Uber XL later, and the RSR 250 was back in our apartment.
IMG_6646.jpg

Current Status:
The tank has been sitting in our spare bedroom, much to the despise of my fiance, waiting to be set up. We are set to get married in April 2019 and may be moving to a new apartment complex in the upcoming months. I do not see the tank being assembled until after the wedding, but that hasn't stopped me from gathering equipment for the build.
IMG_7490.jpg
My brother is also in the hobby, and notified me of a client of his that was selling his entire set up for a ridiculously low price (relatively speaking, but I assure you it was a steal). After some talks with the fiance, remember we have a wedding coming up in April, we decided to purchase the equipment.

Quick list of what was purchased:
- (2) EcoTech Radion XR30 Pro Gen 4
- (2) Radion Tank Mount
- (2) EcoTech VorTech MP40wQD
- (2) Additional MP40 Wet Side
- EcoTech Reef Link
- Apex w/ DOS & DDR
- Apex Power Panel
- Neptune ATK
- ATO Reservoir
- (2) Reef Octopus VarioS 4
- Reef Octopus Regal 150 INT 6" Skimmer
- Reef Octopus 152-S-6" Skimmer
- Skimz Algae Reactor
- (2) GEO Media Reactor
- BRS RO/DI w/ Extra DI Chamber
- Along with many other items (including the 75 gallon tank and stand) that I plan to sell.

With the equipment purchased, the tricky part is to get it all the way from Pennsylvania (brother lives) to California (I live). The plan is for my family to bring as much with them as possible during their upcoming trips from PA to CA for the wedding. Some of it has already made the journey and is sitting patiently until the build can begin.
IMG_7488.jpg IMG_7489.jpg
I am currently in the process of trading/selling some of my corals for more desired corals for the new tank. The current tank will be completely broken down, corals fragged, and quarantined prior to making their debut in the RSR 250.

So that is it for now. I will continue to update with news regarding future plans, the build, and life events!

Currently looking for a better skimmer for my reefer 250. I am eyeing the regal int you bought but it says 11” width and the 250 sump is about 9x10. Were you able to make it fit? I have the “v3” sump with a little fuge chamber between the filter socks and skimmer chamber-not sure if that’s also the one you have.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back