Timor wrasse no able to stay upright

Justfbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I found My Timor wrasse that I have had for over 2 years laying on its side and it’s belly is distended. Thinking he died over nite I tried to net him but he swam away and when he stopped swimming he rolled onto his side again. I scooped him in the net and tried to get a closer look at the fish and earlier this morning it seemed that his belly is causing him to turn upside down. It’s been about 6 hours now and I have him in a container in my display tank and he is laying on his side. If I put a net into the container he tries to swim away from the net but he is swimming very slowly and when he stops swimming he rolls back onto his side? Any chance this could be a swimmer bladder issue? His coloring is still really good and I can’t see any injuries. Any help is greatly appreciated

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I found My Timor wrasse that I have had for over 2 years laying on its side and it’s belly is distended. Thinking he died over nite I tried to net him but he swam away and when he stopped swimming he rolled onto his side again. I scooped him in the net and tried to get a closer look at the fish and earlier this morning it seemed that his belly is causing him to turn upside down. It’s been about 6 hours now and I have him in a container in my display tank and he is laying on his side. If I put a net into the container he tries to swim away from the net but he is swimming very slowly and when he stops swimming he rolls back onto his side? Any chance this could be a swimmer bladder issue? His coloring is still really good and I can’t see any injuries. Any help is greatly appreciated
A picture taken under white light and a short video would help, but it does sound like a swim bladder disorder. There is also a chance that it has a bacterial infection in its gut that is producing gas. How is the fish today? Do you have the ability to move it to a treatment tank?
Jay

OP
OP
Justfbilly

Justfbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture taken under white light and a short video would help, but it does sound like a swim bladder disorder. There is also a chance that it has a bacterial infection in its gut that is producing gas. How is the fish today? Do you have the ability to move it to a treatment tank?
Jay
He jumped out of the container I had him in on Monday evening and he was doing great. On Tuesday he was swimming like nothing happened. He ate like normal and was even picking at the rock. This morning I found him lying upside down, not moving at all and the gills are barely moving.I put him back in the container to keep an eye on him but he didn't make it.
I appreciate the help.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He jumped out of the container I had him in on Monday evening and he was doing great. On Tuesday he was swimming like nothing happened. He ate like normal and was even picking at the rock. This morning I found him lying upside down, not moving at all and the gills are barely moving.I put him back in the container to keep an eye on him but he didn't make it.
I appreciate the help.
Sorry to hear, not sure what was going on with it...
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back