Tim's 150g build

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening R2R! I started in the hobby in 2016 with a 29g BioCube. Quickly fell in love with what I was doing but even more quickly, ran out of room in my nano. I kept my eyes peeled on craigslist, facebook market place and other sites for a used tank as my next tank. What I found was a 150g tank with a 55g sump and a custom built stand. I had to modify the plumbing for the system and after 3 months I've been able to get my tank up and running. I'm very excited for this next chapter in my reefing story book and looking forward to watch this tank grow and evolve over the next few months and years! Here is the equipment breakdown;

Tank - 150g glass tank drilled for sump
Sump - 55g 5 chambers
Bean animal overflow
Lighting - (2) 32" LED black box lights
Heaters - (2) 250 w aquatops (1) Titanium Heater 800w
Skimmer - Vertex Omega 150
Powerheads - (2) vortech MP10ES, (1) eflux 2100 gph (1) eflux 660 gph
RO/DI - 4 stage 75 gpd system
Reefkeeper Lite Plus Control Center

I'm not currently using an ATU, is that something that would be highly recommended?

I'm going to be adding some bacteria to help speed up the cycling process but will still take things slow as I go! I can't even begin to think of a stocking list so please share your favorites with me!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.5.jpg

13.jpg

14.5.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved this over the the member's tank forum so it can serve as your build thread. The tank looks great and best of luck with it. Congrats.

OP
OP
tdowning

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved this over the the member's tank forum so it can serve as your build thread. The tank looks great and best of luck with it. Congrats.
Thank you so much!

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw that your drain pipes are high if you put them almost to the bottom you can get it a lot more silent and with them close to the bottom they’ll keep everything suspended to go through the socks. I have a 55 set up almost exactly the same way just not as many dividers I have only 3 chambers plus drains. Converting my 125 into a 100 gallon sump/refugium soon

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that middle rock piece. Such an interesting shape!

OP
OP
tdowning

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw that your drain pipes are high if you put them almost to the bottom you can get it a lot more silent and with them close to the bottom they’ll keep everything suspended to go through the socks. I have a 55 set up almost exactly the same way just not as many dividers I have only 3 chambers plus drains. Converting my 125 into a 100 gallon sump/refugium soon

Are you talking by about the pipes that go into the sump? You are suggesting to have that pipe go down into that first chamber?

OP
OP
tdowning

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that middle rock piece. Such an interesting shape!

Thanks! When I saw that piece at my LFS I knew it would be a one of a kinda piece and that I had to have it! I’m thinking of either doing zoas or a meteor shower on that piece. I think that would look sweet!

OP
OP
tdowning

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?

On a cruise in the Caribbean currently...hope to have some good updates a few days after we get back from vacation! Thanks for checking in though. I’ll be stocking the tank with 5 -10 fish when we get back. Any suggestions for some good hardy, easy to care for fish to put in the tank first?

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to start any tank with a pair of clowns any type whatever ones you would like best. For me it’s the Clarke clowns, then for sure some type of tang to help with any algae. I like the sailfin and the scopas seems like they are pretty hardy when introduced to a newer tank, also some type of gobie, chromis always add nice color. Just don’t overdo it with fish to quickly you can always add more over time. I have only 12 in my 180 and the biggest is my sailfin tang. Can’t wait to see what you go with. Have fun on your trip!!!

Maria16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can start from Anthias, Bartlett’s or Ignitus (3 or 5 females and 1 male)
Few of Blue/green Reef Chromis
Royal Gramma Basslet is very colorful

OP
OP
tdowning

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can start from Anthias, Bartlett’s or Ignitus (3 or 5 females and 1 male)
Few of Blue/green Reef Chromis
Royal Gramma Basslet is very colorful
Thanks! I have a Royal Gramma in my nano cube, along with a Melanarus Wrasse which eventually I want to move him down to the big tank. I'll check out the anthias!

OP
OP
tdowning

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to start any tank with a pair of clowns any type whatever ones you would like best. For me it’s the Clarke clowns, then for sure some type of tang to help with any algae. I like the sailfin and the scopas seems like they are pretty hardy when introduced to a newer tank, also some type of gobie, chromis always add nice color. Just don’t overdo it with fish to quickly you can always add more over time. I have only 12 in my 180 and the biggest is my sailfin tang. Can’t wait to see what you go with. Have fun on your trip!!!
Thanks! I have a couple clown fish I have my eye on at my LFS. I'll probably do that and a tang as well and see how we go from there! I love the slow, methodical approach to this hobby as it seems to have greater results on the long term scale!!!

Back