Tin in my ICP test

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a recent episode where I had two acros that had been doing fine with full polyp extension for about 8 months rtn. I also had two torches and an elegance die which had also been in my tank for a while. I sent an ICP test to ati, and it came back with elevated tin. Could this be the cause of my problems? We have been doing construction and had just had a very old tile/granit floor jack hammered up which produced a lot of dust. Could this have caused the elevated tin? Or should I look elsewhere? Do you guys see any other areas I should treat? They recommended iodine, brom, vanadium, manganese, and Fluor. Are these really necessary?

Thanks in advance,

David

E6A2465E-DF45-4855-8106-D37E071ED049.png

868DCA01-64C7-4380-943C-417428323AE5.png

FAD975E3-6243-48F2-8E87-4F7F096F1AA1.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that tin is high enough to be a concern. It difficult to say what levels are a problem since the form can vary and organics binding the tin alter the bioavailability. There are lots of threads from folks with high tin and what they did to remove it. I'd search them. :)

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

I just looked at the test on my rodi and it shows even higher tin in my rodi. It says to change the di resin, but I just changed it not even a month ago. It is a spectrapure system with their super di and it shows 0 tds. I guess it could be my pumps that I use to move the water? I don't see any damage on them. Do you think the test is most likely wrong? Or should I trust it. The tin in my rodi is 25. 10 points higher than in my tank!

Thanks,

David

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

I just looked at the test on my rodi and it shows even higher tin in my rodi. It says to change the di resin, but I just changed it not even a month ago. It is a spectrapure system with their super di and it shows 0 tds. I guess it could be my pumps that I use to move the water? I don't see any damage on them. Do you think the test is most likely wrong? Or should I trust it. The tin in my rodi is 25. 10 points higher than in my tank!

Thanks,

David

Which company? If it is icp dot com. I wouldn't trust it.

If its a quality lab, I'd first look for metal parts in the RO water, new salt water, etc., not depletion of the DI.

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which company? If it is icp dot com. I wouldn't trust it.

If its a quality lab, I'd first look for metal parts in the RO water, new salt water, etc., not depletion of the DI.

It is ati. Could it leach from my trash cans I use for storage? They aren't the brute ones. Also there is a wing nut on my float shutoff, but it never touches the water. Water could condense and run off though?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is ati. Could it leach from my trash cans I use for storage? They aren't the brute ones. Also there is a wing nut on my float shutoff, but it never touches the water. Water could condense and run off though?

Might be that nut. Not sure on the cans, but that’s also possible.

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, will tin show up as tds in the water? In other words, can I be sure the water leaving my rodi unit at 0 tds has no tin? And does di remove tin?

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, will tin show up as tds in the water? In other words, can I be sure the water leaving my rodi unit at 0 tds has no tin? And does di remove tin?

Thanks

Tin is detectable by TDS, but 10 ug/L would show up at well below 1 ppm TDS and hobby meters wont see it.

But that would mean tin is the only thing in it, which isn't happening ever. Tin may get through a depleting DI, but so would other stuff.

There are many possible sources of tin, and RO/DI water at 0 ppm TDS is about the last place I'd look for it, assuming it did not contact any metal post DI.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious do you have a Starfire Glass tank? I saw a thread where apparently there in an inside and an outside for starfire glass one side is moltin tin side just wondering if it might leach

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that it could, and I do have starfire, but my understanding is this should be temporary and my tank is almost 1 year old.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that it could, and I do have starfire, but my understanding is this should be temporary and my tank is almost 1 year old.
I am not sure there I guess are 2 sides to starfire glass one is supposed to be on the outside but I really don't know for sure I wonder if Randy knows

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back