Tiny ATS vs chaeto reactor

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know my answer already. But in my IM 14, ph is 7.7-7.9. I hit 8.0 on a good day. Open windows is not an option in coastal Florida.

I am weighing a chaeto reactor vs a Santa Monica drop.2 ATS. Neither will run full time, only when the lights are out. Nutrient export is a secondary concern as whichever I choose will have to handle at least some of the skimmers work load. I cannot run a CO2 scrubber as my skimmer is a Mame clone air drive (I am positive it is contributing to my low ph). Reactor could replace the skimmer, the ATS is too small for that as it will only export up to .5 grams of pellets a day or a little less than a 1/4 cube of mysis (per Santa Monica filtration). As a side note Santamonicas larger scrubbers work very well. But this AIO is already packed.

Am I correct in my sorta educated guess that the reactor will have much more upside all the way around?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know my answer already. But in my IM 14, ph is 7.7-7.9. I hit 8.0 on a good day. Open windows is not an option in coastal Florida.

I am weighing a chaeto reactor vs a Santa Monica drop.2 ATS. Neither will run full time, only when the lights are out. Nutrient export is a secondary concern as whichever I choose will have to handle at least some of the skimmers work load. I cannot run a CO2 scrubber as my skimmer is a Mame clone air drive (I am positive it is contributing to my low ph). Reactor could replace the skimmer, the ATS is too small for that as it will only export up to .5 grams of pellets a day or a little less than a 1/4 cube of mysis (per Santa Monica filtration). As a side note Santamonicas larger scrubbers work very well. But this AIO is already packed.

Am I correct in my sorta educated guess that the reactor will have much more upside all the way around?
It seems like you are going to have better pH stability assuming you run the reactor opposite the DT lights?

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like you are going to have better pH stability assuming you run the reactor opposite the DT lights?
Absolutely, that is the plan whether I use a reactor or mini-ats. However, the more I think about this the more I believe that my air drive skimmer is just pumping more CO2 into the tank. If a reactor can handle all of my nutrient export then the skimmer goes bye bye.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much CO2 do you think is in the house? If it is elevated in the indoor atmosphere it will be higher dissolved CO2 in the water column, just more efficiently mixed into the water with the skimmers action. In those cases folk swear by using an outdoor air supply to feed the skimmer to lower CO2 in the skimmer output and also in the tank.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much CO2 do you think is in the house? If it is elevated in the indoor atmosphere it will be higher dissolved CO2 in the water column, just more efficiently mixed into the water with the skimmers action. In those cases folk swear by using an outdoor air supply to feed the skimmer to lower CO2 in the skimmer output and also in the tank.
That’s not an option with an air drive skimmer. I’d have to put the air pump outside and run the air line 20 ft through the house. As much as it rains here (every day), an electric pump outside is a bad idea. If I were running Venturi style skimmer i would just hook up to a CO2 scrubber.

But I think I’m going to try nutrient export with a chaeto reactor and dump the skimmer for a bit to see what happens.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool experiment! Keep us posted with your results.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need a large amount of algae to counter act a PH drop.

I pull fresh air from outside which raised my PH significantly. I’ll see your Florida coast and raise you Texas summers in a spray foam-insulated house. I’m not sure how many kids I have any more but it’s a lot and they breath constantly.

I had originally tried a CO2 scrubber and expended the media in 3-4 days. The outside air line has the same effect.

I was in the high 7’s and some simple tubing to the unfinished/uninsulated basement got me over 8.2 but my swings went from like 7.9 to 7.75 to 8.4 to 8.0.

I have a massive chunk of algae reverse lit and it in no way has changed the PH; despite the fact that I can see the algae pearling, I’m still getting a .3-.4 drop in ph at night. I’m trying Kalk dosing at night (started 2 days ago)- tonight I’ll be up to .25% TWV but TBH a, I’m not sure I should care that much to maintain another tank additive and 2, I keep my alk at 11.5 and I need to be careful I don’t cause a spike.

honestly chasing PH is a nice distraction but I don’t think either of us *have* to so don't let it drive you crazy.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need a large amount of algae to counter act a PH drop.

I pull fresh air from outside which raised my PH significantly. I’ll see your Florida coast and raise you Texas summers in a spray foam-insulated house. I’m not sure how many kids I have any more but it’s a lot and they breath constantly.

I had originally tried a CO2 scrubber and expended the media in 3-4 days. The outside air line has the same effect.

I was in the high 7’s and some simple tubing to the unfinished/uninsulated basement got me over 8.2 but my swings went from like 7.9 to 7.75 to 8.4 to 8.0.

I have a massive chunk of algae reverse lit and it in no way has changed the PH; despite the fact that I can see the algae pearling, I’m still getting a .3-.4 drop in ph at night. I’m trying Kalk dosing at night (started 2 days ago)- tonight I’ll be up to .25% TWV but TBH a, I’m not sure I should care that much to maintain another tank additive and 2, I keep my alk at 11.5 and I need to be careful I don’t cause a spike.

honestly chasing PH is a nice distraction but I don’t think either of us *have* to so don't let it drive you crazy.
Yeah I’m using kalk in my ATO and run alk at 10.0 just so I can have that little extra head space in case of an ato failure.

I do suspect you are correct about not needing to chase ph. Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run your skimmer line outside one night and see what happens?

alternatively: I made a CO2 scrubber out of a water filter canister (like the kind you use for RO/di resin), some hose, and some media from Amazon. I think I spent $30 total. Personally changing that much media every 3 days isn’t going to happen for me but at least it would tell you if it’s a Co2 issue.

I have an idea to handle swings by putting a t on my skimmer line. One end would go outside, the other would go to an apex solenoid that opens in the cabinet when PH gets too high and closes when it’s too low. Unfortunately I’d probably only be able to run a stable 8.00 or so.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large wad of Chaeto in my sump. When the winter rolls around and my house is closed up My ph is the lowest but it never gets below 8.1. The cheato is really good at keeping my Ph high as it takes out the Co2. Not sure if chasing your Ph is important enough to raise your alk aggressively

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run your skimmer line outside one night and see what happens?
My skimmer isn’t like everyone else’s. I push air with an air pump through a lime wood air stone. I don’t have a Venturi pulling air in. With this skimmer, I would have to put the air pump outside to get it pulling air. Of course while I am going through the logistics of this. I realize I could put the air pump in a sealed container and run a 1/2” line out a window from the container.

I think I just found my solution.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large wad of Chaeto in my sump. When the winter rolls around and my house is closed up My ph is the lowest but it never gets below 8.1. The cheato is really good at keeping my Ph high as it takes out the Co2. Not sure if chasing your Ph is important enough to raise your alk aggressively
I’m not raising all any higher. But I am going to try putting the air pump in a sealed container and run a line from the container to outside the window and see what happens. Cheap easy and fast. If that works I have my solution. If not I’ll add a chaeto reactor. It’s no coincidence that the first time I go sumpless, which means macro algae free also happens to be the first time I have low-ish ph.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not raising all any higher. But I am going to try putting the air pump in a sealed container and run a line from the container to outside the window and see what happens. Cheap easy and fast. If that works I have my solution. If not I’ll add a chaeto reactor. It’s no coincidence that the first time I go sumpless, which means macro algae free also happens to be the first time I have low-ish ph.
Another cool idea would be a HOB refugium. Never tried one but it seems cool! Might also help keep a little bit of a pod population going. (A podulation) ehh see what I did there

Something like this might be cool. Not sure how much cheato it would hold or if it would even help.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another cool idea would be a HOB refugium. Never tried one but it seems cool! Might also help keep a little bit of a pod population going. (A podulation) ehh see what I did there

Something like this might be cool. Not sure how much cheato it would hold or if it would even help.

I have a nice HOB refugium with macro algea in it, lit 24x7 and I still have insanely low PH. Even with massive amounts of chaeto in my sump with extremely high lighting I see PH too low, massive swings. It is even worse now with Alabama heat, it is not like you can crack your windows. Back in the winter I would keep windows open with fans blowing in and finally my PH stayed at respectable levels. But in this heat you cannot do it. The CO2 keeps trapped in the house and when you get to levels of 7.6 like I do, it is not good on the corals. At least temporarily I have a cheap but substantial air pump coming and I already have two large bags of soda lime in storage. I want to come up with a long term solution though, this horrible low PH cannot be good.

A side effect of having massive amounts of chaeto and light dropped my nitrates and phosphates down to concerning numbers also, almost zero. Sure the pods love all the hiding places, I have so many now they cover everything and just hang out on the backs of the snails like they are having a town meeting.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice HOB refugium with macro algea in it, lit 24x7 and I still have insanely low PH. Even with massive amounts of chaeto in my sump with extremely high lighting I see PH too low, massive swings. It is even worse now with Alabama heat, it is not like you can crack your windows. Back in the winter I would keep windows open with fans blowing in and finally my PH stayed at respectable levels. But in this heat you cannot do it. The CO2 keeps trapped in the house and when you get to levels of 7.6 like I do, it is not good on the corals. At least temporarily I have a cheap but substantial air pump coming and I already have two large bags of soda lime in storage. I want to come up with a long term solution though, this horrible low PH cannot be good.

A side effect of having massive amounts of chaeto and light dropped my nitrates and phosphates down to concerning numbers also, almost zero. Sure the pods love all the hiding places, I have so many now they cover everything and just hang out on the backs of the snails like they are having a town meeting.
I am moving the tank across my room to the window. My skimmer uses an air pump instead of a motor. But I have figured out a solution.

I am putting the air pump inside of the air tight container and running a rigid 1/4 line from the container to out the window with a muffler (to keep bugs out). Forcing it to pull its air from outside.

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not upgrade your skimmer?
You could then run a small CO2 scrubber, or run a line along the baseboard to your window. I do use this method, and applied a piece of white tape to seal the window opening so it looks like a clean setup - then the fresh air passes through a CO2 scrubber.

Food for thought; having your tank close to the window could equal more issues going forward. Will you have direct sun light spill into the tank at the new location? Typically the ambient air temp near a window in the dead heat of summer will be significantly higher.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving the tank across my room to the window. My skimmer uses an air pump instead of a motor. But I have figured out a solution.

I am putting the air pump inside of the air tight container and running a rigid 1/4 line from the container to out the window with a muffler (to keep bugs out). Forcing it to pull its air from outside.

The airpump thing for me is more of a test. If it does work and work well I will likely try to find a tiny reliable skimmer with a needle wheel that will fit in the return section of my sump, then run the venturi intake out the window. Air pumps religiously get loud enough to make people throw them out the window, hardly a long term solution.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am sending the air pump back when it comes in today. I had an idea and it sure did work. I took the venturi pump off my stock skimmer, I was not using it anyway. I took the venturi pump and tied it into my CO2 scrubber, ran the air intake from it to the outside. This was the difference last night, the main tank lights are not even on yet.

So to sum it up, the venturi pump is in my tanks return where it goes to the sump, a very small chamber. I am catching those bubbles with 4 large sponges, then it runs through some chaeto which captures the remaining bubbles.

1624976629371.png

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back