Tiny Brown/Orange Spots On Corals

SkeletonShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'd like to figure out what these spots are on a number of my corals. My cyphastrea is covered in them and it is not doing well so I wonder if they are the problem. The spots are invisible to my eye but my cyphastrea is more brown/orange than usual and I think its because of all of the spots.

My red mushroom has some flatworms you can see in the pic- maybe the spots are baby flatworm?
P1229788.jpg

P1229782.jpg

Thanks!

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops sorry, forget to respond. Looks like red bugs. They are typically a little larger though.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'd like to figure out what these spots are on a number of my corals. My cyphastrea is covered in them and it is not doing well so I wonder if they are the problem. The spots are invisible to my eye but my cyphastrea is more brown/orange than usual and I think its because of all of the spots.

My red mushroom has some flatworms you can see in the pic- maybe the spots are baby flatworm?
P1229788.jpg

P1229782.jpg

Thanks!
Great Scott thats some detail. Looks like red flat worms. Great pic of the polyps.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Scott thats some detail. Looks like polyps.
If it was just the disco, I wouldn't be nervous as many develop those spots. The cyphastrea is what has me nervous. Cyphastrea don't develop spots like that.

OP
OP
S

SkeletonShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was just the disco, I wouldn't be nervous as many develop those spots. The cyphastrea is what has me nervous. Cyphastrea don't develop spots like that.
Yeah, I've had my cyphastrea die off about 50% over the course of a few weeks and come back to full health, its done that about 5 times now. I've only just today noticed the tiny spots as this is the first time pulling out the macro lens to examine

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've had my cyphastrea die off about 50% over the course of a few weeks and come back to full health, its done that about 5 times now. I've only just today noticed the tiny spots as this is the first time pulling out the macro lens to examine
Macro lens on what? Telescope!?!?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 40 27.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 31 21.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back